• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

I'm new to the gardening so I think I might have to get a heating pad to help me germinate seeds. I had fantastic results putting seeds in a plastic bag w/ a moist towelette but that was earlier in the season. Since then I have been trying the same method w/ some jalapeño and habanero w/ no results so far.

Right on Patrick, good luck on keeping it under 90 ;)

The over wintered plants look great & nice grow list. I just started germinating some seeds and for weeks I have been moping about not having chocolate bhut jolokia seeds, than I was putting the 7 pod seeds you sent in their medium and lo and behold there was a package of chocolate bhut seeds you sent with them. I totally forgot you sent them to me, made my day! I look forward to watching your grow log this year.

Lookin good Patrick :dance: . I finished my grow station yesterday, but don't have all my seeds yet, checks in the mail. Should be puttin seeds in next weekend, for my first stab at startin from seed.

Nice Patrick. The coir looks nice. Just waiting for my plug trays to get here tomorrow and ill be ready to start. Looks like you are skipping the plugs. May have to try that next year and germinate straight in my 3" pots.

Thanks guys. I'm spending today watching football and burying seeds. Good day already.

Dot Com, C. chinense seeds like the soil warm, mid 80's is perfect. That will get them to germinate at a much quicker pace. Good luck to you.

Hey SS. Good to see you again. Wish I had your growing season. How much longer until you do start your seeds?

Yo Lazy man! As I was reading your post I started thinking I have some extra chocolate BJ seeds I can send you and looks like I already did. Best of luck to you bro.

Howdy logchief. Thanks. Congrats on having things ready for the seeds. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Thanks Michael. I always found it a pain to get the plugs out of their container without having most of it fall apart. With the cups I can tap them down and firm up the medium so it stays together better at transplant time. Or that's what I tell myself.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's log this year. Just got a good feeling about this season.

Best of luck everyone!

well, you are getting off to an early start!
I'm going to wait another month to start mine, as last year mine really wanted to be in bigger pots and outside earlier than outside was ready for them.

Looking forward to your progress!

Dot Com, C. chinense seeds like the soil warm, mid 80's is perfect. That will get them to germinate at a much quicker pace. Good luck to you.

Best of luck everyone!
Thanks. I've learned quite a bit the short amt of time I've been here.

Looking good Patrick good luck with your season. Is that just pure coco coir that you start them in.

Mine are coming along nicely. I decided to transplant most of mine out into the garden as even if we get an offer on the place it will take 3 months to settle, which is more than enough time to get a crop of chillies out of them. I can dig my favorites up too if I have to.
I have kept at least one of each in pots just in case. The ones in the ground have really started taking off especially after I gave em a nice shovelfull of chicken shit each. They seem to take a bit longer to pod up in the ground but the plants get heaps bigger first which usually mean more pods in the long run.

Thanks for all of your help mate, my superhot season would look pretty bare without yours and other forum members generosity. My dinner at night is much more lively too thanks to your powders.

Speaking of snow so far I think we have about 8 inches of it on the ground right now and it isn't supposed to stop until some time tomorrow morning. Great time to light a fire in the fireplace and plant some more seeds in cups.

roper2008, yep I get started now because of the short growing season. I always end up with too many pods that never get a chance to ripen.

Marc, yep pure coco coir. I buy it in brick form for my tarantulas and it works just fine for seed germination. Holds moisture well and I'm finding it heats pretty evenly too. I also pack it in the cups rather loosely so the root that comes out of the seed has an easy go of it. Don't know if that makes a difference but it sounds good in my head. Ha!

Seeing all the grow logs starting up is making me anxious to get my own started.

Good luck and heavy harvests, mate!

Awesome stuff Patrick!

Cant wait to follow your thread this year. Hope you have a great growing season bro.
Will start mine probably next month. Too early for me right now with limited space

Cheers!!!

Hooks! Six days into it and two of the Pimenta Tigers have broken the surface. Temps in both were right at 86F/30C.

I have to show them off.

IMG_6517800x600.jpg

IMG_6518800x600.jpg

I stopped at the hydro store today and picked up a heat mat for the second tray I started. I have a few small heat pads but I'm not sure if I have enough for another tray, may have to pick up a second one.

IMG_6520800x600.jpg

Second tray has been filled with the following seeds;

7 Pod Jonah, HCS………………………………………………..5
7 Pod, Madball Z cross,………………………………………5
7 Pod, Perfect (my own unk cross)……………………..5
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, HSC………………………………6
Bhut Jolokia, CPI………………………………………………….5
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow #2, unk……………………………….5

Plus a few from the list at the front of the thread.

Man it feels so good to see plants growing again. I have a total of 77 seeds started.

Looking good Patrick. Congratulations on the Pimenta Tigers. Your grow list is very impressive and you're taking care of all those cool seeds. I can't wait to see them grow up a bit.

Great list Pat, and they're looking good! Those yellow bhut seeds you gave me have gone bananas! So stoked, cheers mate! :D

Back