• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lazies 2011 grow log

Well I have decided to start a grow log this season. Nothing too exciting to post yet. Started to germinate on the 6th and have a ton of work to do on the hill side garden.

Okay so due not wanting to spend extra money on a heating pad I have the following set up for germination:
Jiffy mini green house on top of my dehydrator on low. Keeps it at the right temp:

SIJP7.jpg

The location of the hill side garden, I figured the hill will work fine because it will not pool up with all the excessive water we get here in Wa:
tratu.jpg

decided to break ground and see what I had to work with in terms of soil. To my dismay the dark soil was something they used to cover nothing but clay and rocks. And if your wondering what is going on with the stakes on the right its because my neighbors have a pit bull that has dug thru the fence and as you can see to the left he started to dig thru again, I spoke with the owners and was advised the dog has never been socialized with other dogs however they will be moving at the end of the month.
MTZ8a.jpg

And yes if you keep up with my grow log you will have to endure random pictures of my dogs:
kvHd4.jpg

I have however come up with a solution to for the soil that will be cost effective. I will be growing lots of vegetables and other things as well but here is my grow list for peppers:
7 Pod Primo
7 pod -Patrick
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick
7 Pod Yellow -HP
7 pod Brain Strain PRF
Star Fish - Big Egg
White Hab -Hot Pooper
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorp Morouga Bigg Egg
Naga Dorset
Yellow Scorpion Cardi- Cmpman1974
Caribean Red
NagaPeno hybrid from Hot Pooper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Douglah PRF
Bhut-Silver Surfer
Bhut J Chocolate -Patrick
Bhut Carbon -HP
Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet -SS
Yellow Rocoto -Josh
Devils Tongue

I will be germinating more soon and have tried my best to keep track of who has given me seeds or what peppers I got the seeds from ext. Most of them that are not marked are from peppers I got from CCN. Now I just have to figure out how to hang the massive 400W ballast I have.

I like the dehydrator set-up. Does it keep them warm too?

BTW- The dogs in the pic look like they get along real well :-)

got a nice list theree, and the clay and rocks, sounds like up here in my island haha, how you gonna get through that problem, just go with containers? containers aren't as bad as you think try are, and they are worth the $ however up hee, you pay an arm and a leg just for a small bag of soil

Dude, thats a NICE spot for peppers! Maybe you can get you a load of top soil from a landscaping place? Thats what Im asking for for Christmas. lol Buying it by the bag just gets SOOOO expensive.
Is the puppy a new addition for YOU, or your sister's dog?

You might be wise to do raised gardened beds unless you like the taste or arsenic and other pressure treating chemicals likely in your fencing.

So that's how you grow dehydrated peppers. :D
Agree with Josh on the terraces. Looks like a pretty steep hill. Drainage shouldn't be a problem but, erosion might be.
Happy Gardening!

Looks like you have a nice sunny spot there, Is there alot of runoff of water on the slope?
Excellent list also! Cant wait to see more .
Kevin

Looking good, They grow some pretty good stuff in terraces in Bali and that is usually on volcanic rock so the terraces should work fine for you If you drill a few holes in the lumber at the bottom of each terrace wall there shouldnt be any waterlogging problems. We grow in pure sand here in Western Australia and the problem isnt getting rid of the water, its keeping it there. That and the nutrients. Our soil seem to just eat compost and chicken shit.

I can't believe the dehydrator set up dude. It's ingenious! I wish I had read that before my ridiculous seed heating experiments. I had a dehydrator just sitting there the whole time, and was cooking seeds and fluctuating the temps all over the place.

Are your dogs Boxers? Is the brindle one a cross? I didn't know Boxers came in brindle. Forgive the questions but I've spent the last 8 years working with dogs and puppies and I can't help it. Never dealt with the Boxer breed, they look pretty cool.

Megamoo if you are still planting now you dont need any heating. The weather we are having is enough to make em pop up all on their own.

I like the dehydrator set-up. Does it keep them warm too?BTW- The dogs in the pic look like they get along real well :-)

Thanks, yes the dehydrator has 3 levels of heat I can adjust it to where it needs to be so it works out well.

got a nice list theree, and the clay and rocks, sounds like up here in my island haha, how you gonna get through that problem, just go with containers? containers aren't as bad as you think try are, and they are worth the $ however up hee, you pay an arm and a leg just for a small bag of soil

Thanks, see the post about the soil below, I dont really want to use containers again this year I do have some 5 gallon buckets and one 7 gallon that I will use for sure though.

Lookin good Laz, looks like you got your work cut out for you. :beer: :beer:

I'm guessing a few weekends of work haha, but it will hopefully all be worth it.

Dude, thats a NICE spot for peppers! Maybe you can get you a load of top soil from a landscaping place? Thats what Im asking for for Christmas. lol Buying it by the bag just gets SOOOO expensive.Is the puppy a new addition for YOU, or your sister's dog?

Yeah I am keeping my fingers crossed, should get about as much sun as it can in Wa haha. Soil is crazy expensive, not sure what people will think of the soil I will be using though but it seems like the way to go and cheap. Its my sisters dog.

I would make 3 or so terraces with lumber and fill them level with topsoil.

+1 thanks!! Will definitely look into this.

You might be wise to do raised gardened beds unless you like the taste or arsenic and other pressure treating chemicals likely in your fencing.

that doesnt sound too good.

So that's how you grow dehydrated peppers. :D Agree with Josh on the terraces. Looks like a pretty steep hill. Drainage shouldn't be a problem but, erosion might be.Happy Gardening!

hahaha yeah they come dehydrated right off the plant lol

Looks like you have a nice sunny spot there, Is there alot of runoff of water on the slope? Excellent list also! Cant wait to see more .Kevin

Yeah there is a ton of water run off, darn swamp down below where the grass is, I have to figure out a way to drain it.

Sounds like you have a grand plan Lazyman. Best of luck to ya bubba.
Thanks Patrick, not sure how many plants will get put back there :)

I can't believe the dehydrator set up dude. It's ingenious! I wish I had read that before my ridiculous seed heating experiments. I had a dehydrator just sitting there the whole time, and was cooking seeds and fluctuating the temps all over the place. Are your dogs Boxers? Is the brindle one a cross? I didn't know Boxers came in brindle. Forgive the questions but I've spent the last 8 years working with dogs and puppies and I can't help it. Never dealt with the Boxer breed, they look pretty cool.

Thanks! I dont have much money so I makeshift everything I can to make it work haha. Yes they are both boxers and they come in brindle :) They are great dogs my favorite breed for sure. They are very clean, goofy, playful, protective and great with kids, easy as can be to train too. The brindle pup is 4 months and can already sit, speak, kiss and is nearly house trained already.

+1 to the terracing idea. Looks like a nice spot and your dogs look cool.Good luck and heavy harvests!

Thanks Skydiver, havent seen you on in a while!

Back