• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I like my chooks (chickens)

Last night one of my sons left the door to the chookyard open and 3 chooks escaped. We managed to get two back in but one eluded us. This morning I went on my morning chilli inspection and to my horror two of my chilli plants had the centers nipped out and two more were missing a few leaves. That was it, out came the 12 gauge and on and off I spent the best part of the day stalking said chook through the bush around our house. It was crafty and a worthy adversary and I caught many fleeting glimpses of it dissappearing into the scrub but in the end it lingered and the 12 gauge finally won. The good news is that the chillies defiled were only semi commons, a red hab, a hot paper lantern and the ones that lost a few leaves were a guadalope and a cancun and they will survive.

I understand... you did the right thing.

Something similar happened to me. One of my sons pulled out and ate one of my tiny bhut jolokia seedlings. So I locked him in the dark in the cellar with endlessly repeating celine dion songs playing as loud as possible for a whole day.

Tough but necessary. I love my chillies.

I understand... you did the right thing.

Something similar happened to me. One of my sons pulled out and ate one of my tiny bhut jolokia seedlings. So I locked him in the dark in the cellar with endlessly repeating celine dion songs playing as loud as possible for a whole day.

Tough but necessary. I love my chillies.

That's cruel and unusual punishment. Almost torture. Better be carefull the Commission on Human Rights doesn't hear about it. :rofl:

Well not everything about that story is true. Yes my son ate my seedling but I didn't lock him in the cellar. When I discovered the scene there was a lot of hideous high pitched screaming tho :rofl:

So it's bbq chicken for dinner tonight?
Rub it down , BBQ it and sauce it up...
Beer butt chicken or smoked?

It was like a cartoon scene with a huge puff of feathers. The kids all came running at the sound of the shot (we had some city kids over for a BBQ too) and they were amazed at how shredded the chook was. So maybe a stirfry or curry might have been in order but I'm not one for chewin on lead.

Back