• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bob_B Grow Log

I'm not growing anything new this year - just some old favorites. Jalapeno M, Trinidad Scorpion, Datils, Grenada Hots, Anaheims, 7 Pot, and Brandywine tomatoes.

I'm also trying to germinate some Harold St. Bart, but first go was unsuccessful and and I"m trying again.

Grenada Hots, Datil, 7 Pot, and TS had very good germination percentages. Datils are the same as I remember - very slow!

My simple setup and pictures.

DSC04175-1.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

When you get GOOD Datil's, you clone cuttings as well as gather your isolated seeds. Only way to keep the stock from dissappearing. Good luck on your grow.

When you get GOOD Datil's, you clone cuttings as well as gather your isolated seeds. Only way to keep the stock from dissappearing. Good luck on your grow.

Datil Patch - This is seed from plants I originally ordered from Cross Country Nurseries several years ago. I would very much like to try out a different stock of Datil. Do you see the plants or the seeds in stores around your parts. I travel to Jax frequently and would love to make a side trip to St. Augustine or close by if I could get some "native stock". If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears.

good luck with your grow this year...hope all the "ladies" avoid your area this season..

AJ- Another month or so......then the debauchery begins in full swings. Ladies on Spring Break leave very little to the imagination. No complaints, you understand.

AJ- Another month or so......then the debauchery begins in full swings. Ladies on Spring Break leave very little to the imagination. No complaints, you understand.

understand the spring break thingy but I was referring to the winds of change...

Datil Patch - This is seed from plants I originally ordered from Cross Country Nurseries several years ago. I would very much like to try out a different stock of Datil. Do you see the plants or the seeds in stores around your parts. I travel to Jax frequently and would love to make a side trip to St. Augustine or close by if I could get some "native stock". If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Sadly, the influx the modern age and the availability of every other pepper has just about killed the native pepper around St. Aug. Many of us have been looking for better family varieties in the last few years, but the old families that grow are selective/secretive with their seeds. The handfull of Minorcans that I see every week at the corner store, told me this last year they all ripped their plants out after the first fruit as the plants weren't right. I and another grower got Datils from the largest grower in the county, some got them from the local nursery that always has Datils, some from the local Ace. All were HOT but Bleh. I didn't save any seeds from locally acquired plants this last year.

The seed from NMSU was very good. The "old Boys" say it is significantly more like they remember than what they have been getting the last few years. They even have a better stronger "sweeter" smell when you crack them open. While they do ripen yellow, they don't get to that orangy, roadstripe yellow.

I'm still trying other family lines as I find them, but you have to hunt them down...

ROFLMAO.....

Thanks for the info DP. I have looked at the NMSU online store - I think I'll give them a try.

I get good germination rate from the CC F1 seeds I have - they just start out SLOW. It's crazy to look at the Grenada Hots, 7 pot, and TS growth rates from those seeds compared to the Datil.

I do very much like Datils and intend to concentrate on them this season....

Update on my peppers:

The larger plants are clockwise Grenada Hot, Trinidad Scorpion, 7 pot, and Grenada Hot. All the others are Datil. It's amazing to me how slow the Datils are in comparison with the others. Is your experience the same?

219.jpg

The images below are of the pepper that came up last year from seed I did not intentionally sow. It looks identical to the plant that Cross Country sent me a few years ago by mistake and that eventually died from either heat or lack of water. After having searched various sites and images, I now believe it is a Besler's Cherry and it does closely resemble the plant by the same name that CC Nurseries offers. I know one thing, this is a very hardy plant. I have covered it during freeze conditions this year, but not always. It has remained outside, protected from the prevailing NW winds, and shows new growth.

Has anyone here grown Besler's Cherry and can comment on similarities to this plant?

213.jpg

218.jpg

Back