• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Liquid organic fertilizer

Is it O.K to water the whole plant with the fertilizer even when it's fruiting? Or should I stop watering the leaves and fruit and just water the soil?

cheers,
chibi

The liquid fertilizer I have says to only water the soil. Good idea to mix it up a little milder than the recipe to start with too.

I've read where they don't really like water on their leaves anyway. I'm fairly sure that pepper plants are used to having a tree canopy over them in the wild, so survive on runoff rainwater. It's a theory I stick to but it doesn't rain much here anyway.

yea I'd only put the fertilized water into the soil not on the leaves. but as for plain water on leaves ? I never really understood this yea put the water where its needed (soil) but really what does it matter if the plant gets watered by accident ? hey it rains outside.

I think in their natural humid surroundings wet leaves would be susceptible to mold & disease. Being more like a shrub, they would probably be protected from direct rain by the canopy of larger trees.

bentalphanerd said:
I think in their natural humid surroundings wet leaves would be susceptible to mold & disease. Being more like a shrub, they would probably be protected from direct rain by the canopy of larger trees.

Well, ok...but, why do they love direct sun instead of shade?

I think direct sunlight in tropical heat would toast them pretty quick. My crop here are all in semi-shade or no more than 4 or 5 hrs of direct sun per day and they still wilting by sundown, but they have to survive on minimal water. I think all forest shrubs and young trees scramble for sunlight and to get the best out of your plant, yes - heaps of sun & water.

if you water in the morning and there is good circulation and not excessive heat I would think that you should have no problems watering the whole plant as long as the fert is not mixed too strong. it is better to fertilise more frequently with a weaker fert mixture than to fertilise less often but increase the strength. foliar feeding is another way for a plant to get food instead of solely relying on the root system. just make sure that if you plan on harvesting some pods that you leave it a few days after feeding your leaves and pods.

just to be difficult, some gardeners get equally good results from mulching and plain old water.

Thanks for the replies. I've been watering the whole plant up unitl now, but only the soil since they started getting pods. They seem to be doing ok so I'll keep on with what I'm doing.

DevilDuck said:
Well, ok...but, why do they love direct sun instead of shade?

I don't know that I agree with bentalphanerd about wild peppers being under story plants, but remember that what we're growing, for the most part, are domesticated peppers. The wild-type pequins I've grown in the past were tough little buggers that could take a lot of heat and drought.

yea I was thinking the same thing when Bent said that, my pepper plants stay in the sun basically from sunup til sundown & they've did just fine.

Back