• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Flower of the Season

Got home from work today to find a flower on my Thai Dragon plant. Wahooooo!

thaidragon_may15.jpg

2007 growing List:

Bhut Jolokia
Fatalli
Red Savina
Santaka
Thai Dragon
Pretty Purple
Big Jim
Red Hab
White Hab
Purple Hab
Yellow hab
Choc Hab

Interesting Thai Dragon. The flowers look the same as mine but I don't have purple at the node junctions like yours does.
I get pods that are about an inch 1/2 to 2 inches in length and fairly hot. Same for you?

Thai Dragon

P_Schneider said:
Interesting Thai Dragon. The flowers look the same as mine but I don't have purple at the node junctions like yours does.
I get pods that are about an inch 1/2 to 2 inches in length and fairly hot. Same for you?

Thai Dragon

This is the first time I have grown this variety. I went back and checked the label . It says "Thai Hot Dragon Hybrid" so it is probably different to your pure Thai dragon. No idea what it is mixed with ;)

I've grown thai dragon before, as for the word "hot" in the name I think its just someone putting that in there for some stupid reason, hybrid I think it might be a better producer ? but not that it matters anyways because the thai dragon plants I had last year gave me plenty of peppers - as the same for any thai pepper plant I've grown = great producers of peppers.
IMO the thai dragon has good heat/spice, I'm only growing 1 kind of thai this year (thai orange) because I want to try several other kinds of chiles, but I like growing thai's because they're a good clean spice/heat & produce well

my thai dragons were also 1.5" - 2" in length & about 1/2" in width, red. I didnt pay much attention to the purple part on the stem but if I remember right I think mine had those little purplish spots also ?

I think my mystery plant from this thread HERE

Is finally over. All the links on the web for Thai Dragon were all for red pods - and mine were yellow. And yes lots of pods & good heat.

bentalphanerd said:
I think my mystery plant from this thread HERE

Is finally over. All the links on the web for Thai Dragon were all for red pods - and mine were yellow. And yes lots of pods & good heat.

and I cant wait. A little slow but I am also looking at it 15-20 times a day :) okay an hour but whos counting

LUCKYDOG said:
and I cant wait. A little slow but I am also looking at it 15-20 times a day :) okay an hour but whos counting

Any flowers yet luckydog? Looking like one of my young ones has crossed with a cayenne. waiting..waiting...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

bentalphanerd said:
Any flowers yet luckydog? Looking like one of my young ones has crossed with a cayenne. waiting..waiting...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

No not even close to that stage..... I dont know if Im having a slow go or what..... maybe its the New England weather.... we are not quite out of the frost or above 60 at night phase yet... On the sunnier warmer days I am bringing the babies out to play in the sun and wind still need to bring them in at night putting them on their hot blanket and grow light....

Should I use a cactus mix to plant them in? I've read somewhere that a soil mixed with peat is to acidic? I'm using Schultz potting soil and fertilize with Schultz's as well now. I am trully excited to see some Habs from last years experiment have shown me their lovely faces for another go this year.. I think I need another grow lamp....

My wife is sure to think I have gone completely nuts if she hasnt already:lol:

I've been growing mine outside el natural - and we're getting about the same temps here for now (first cold snap next week they say)

Plants do need some darkness time to rest - I use a fairly low cost potting mix that has Dynamic Lifter in it. I do now remember that the parent plant seemed to struggle forever before boosting all it's pods, but the 2nd generation have been a lot faster.

How tall are they now, can you post a pic?

bentalphanerd said:
I've been growing mine outside el natural - and we're getting about the same temps here for now (first cold snap next week they say)

Plants do need some darkness time to rest - I use a fairly low cost potting mix that has Dynamic Lifter in it. I do now remember that the parent plant seemed to struggle forever before boosting all it's pods, but the 2nd generation have been a lot faster.

How tall are they now, can you post a pic?

I will try to take pics but they are ~ 2 inches. Thats why I ask about soil and such Ive read about a looser mix like a cactus mix might be more suitable? I will take pics soon and send them of course looking at them so much they never seem to grow ... like kids then they ask you for the car keys

the first pepper of mine to show is the thai dragon as well. these are the ones i am most looking forward to having this year!

ross said:
the first pepper of mine to show is the thai dragon as well. these are the ones i am most looking forward to having this year!

Im sure you wont be disappointed - they are a great flavor & a ripe pod every 2 or 3 days when they're in full swing.

LUCKYDOG said:
I will try to take pics but they are ~ 2 inches. Thats why I ask about soil and such Ive read about a looser mix like a cactus mix might be more suitable? I will take pics soon and send them of course looking at them so much they never seem to grow ... like kids then they ask you for the car keys

Cactus mix is sandy, correct? Peppers would probably do better in a mix higher in humus. Honestly, the cheap potting soils work fine in a large container, especially if you fertilize them from time to time.

I have some still in pots that have remained small & flowerless - The ones I've planted out are about 2 to 3 times the size and all flowering, some with pods.

Second plant to Flower

I have decided not to nip off my early growth flowers in favour of getting some peppers a bit sooner. We have a long growing season here in California and I only grow my peppers for personal consumption so a humungous harvest isnt a priority. I am also experimenting with shade growing this year so the little plants dont have to fight off the evil Californian sun.
Second plant to flower is.......Red Habanero.

rs_may21.jpg

Another lesson to be learned is not to give up on a pepper. I thought I had lost one of the Bhut Jolokia's after the initial horrendous weekend sun when I transplanted them. All that was left was a twig. Amazingly the thing is springing back to life.

by_may21.jpg

soon instead of "1st to flower" you'll have a thread saying "look it here at my ripe chiles" & rub it in, to us others that dont have ripe chiles yet :hell:

Back