• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Harvesting

Hi people
i was wondering if anyone has a theory on the best time of day to harvest chili's.
Would it be ealy morning, midday or late afternoon.
Thought this might be an interesting dicussion.

Cheers, Kevvy.

Hi people
i was wondering if anyone has a theory on the best time of day to harvest chili's.
Would it be ealy morning, midday or late afternoon.
Thought this might be an interesting dicussion.

Cheers, Kevvy.

Probably early morning when the metabolism is at a minimum to reduce stress. I'm just guessing though, and honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference. :)

The people I know with corn farms in the Cincy area who grow the super sweet variety swear that it is sweetest/best when picked and eaten first thing in the morning. Second best is simply freshly picked then immediately eaten after - don't let the cobs sit off the plant for any real length of time. I personally haven't done a comparison, and don't usually eat corn in the morning (at least not as corn itself.) However, since they grow corn for a living, I have to trust them on that. Now I don't know if peppers are the same as corn in this manner - if picking them first thing in the morning makes a huge difference or not - but it seems reasonable to think this might be the case. All of us who have grown any kind of pepper can attest that the pods picked freshly off the plant at any time of day are so much better than grocery-store pods which have been off the plant for an unknown time (but probably days.) So this similarity to corn may say something more about the morning thing. I'd say give it a try if your plants have pods - can you tell a difference?

I agree with geeme. I have not been able to see a noticeable difference as to what time of day I pick peppers. It's all good my friend.

main thing try to avoid harvesting in heat cuz you will cuz some cuts for the plant and lose of the leafs. so i would say early morning or late afternoon any time better than high heat day

i harvest mine when it is most comfortable for me to do so - i try to avoid the heat of the midwestern summers - so i guess i normally harvest in the mornings or evenings

I know/feel that harvesting Herbs , Basil , Thyme ,Rosemary , etc. When the plant is rested. The leaves are not wilted and full of aroma. I would think it would be the same with most crops but can't say for sure. Leaves could wilt from fruited plants in the evening , the plant is tired . But would that effect the "Taste" of a fruit like a pepper ????

Harvest early in the morning and don't worry about it any longer .

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back