• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long till second leaves?

Hi guys and gals. Have some nagas I planted a few weeks ago, they are doing great, though a few are what im guessing would be considered a little leggy- 2 inches- and still on first leaves? Just wondering how long it takes for the second leaves, or first true leaves to grow?

Thanks

Slinter said:
Hi guys and gals. Have some nagas I planted a few weeks ago, they are doing great, though a few are what im guessing would be considered a little leggy- 2 inches- and still on first leaves? Just wondering how long it takes for the second leaves, or first true leaves to grow?

Thanks

I would think they would be along anytime now. They are Naga's which is a long season plant so they will take longer then most.

All 3 varieties of Nagas ( Morich, Dorset, & Bangledesh) were sterted in January and are well behind in growth to all of our other chiles started at the same time and from what everyone that has grown them in the past have told us is that is normal.

Mick
Kato's

have all 3 varieties too started on 01-01-07 just like Mick they seem to be behind the rest of the chilis in growth. have also been told it is normal
Dan

LET IT BURN

Thank you for the responses everyone! I have never grown anything so I want these things to hurry up!
Also thank you for the welcome!

Mine are naga morich. As far as I understand they are all the same? I have heard people say there are different variations, but then very experianced people say they are the same with different names?

I also have one other question. I was told to plant these 2 or 3 seeds per hole, and now I have 2 or 3 growing right next to each other. Any advice on if, when, and how to separate these little guys? My two plant people told me either not to separate them, and nature will figure it out for them, or, to use a fork to help gently separate them with as little damage to the roots as possible?

Thanks again everyone

Slinter said:
I also have one other question. I was told to plant these 2 or 3 seeds per hole, and now I have 2 or 3 growing right next to each other. Any advice on if, when, and how to separate these little guys? My two plant people told me either not to separate them, and nature will figure it out for them, or, to use a fork to help gently separate them with as little damage to the roots as possible?

Thanks again everyone

Yo were right. Plant pepper seeds about 2 or 3 to a hol(loads of resasons for this). Pick the healthiest specimine 2 weeks after sprouting and sack the rest. Either risk root hamage by pulling them out or cut them off at the soil, leaving the best one left to grow. If left together too long the roots will start to intertwine and choke each other to death.

imaguitargod said:
Yo were right. Plant pepper seeds about 2 or 3 to a hol(loads of resasons for this).

What reasons?

I usually put two seeds per cup (unless it's a rare variety or I only have a couple of seeds), but I don't put them in the same hole, I separate them. That way at least one usually germinates, but if both do, I can easily remove one without disrupting the other.

When I plant again, 1 per cup. Used a good method to germinate them and got 100%. Even the one I did in a paper towl sprouted.

How am I supposed to know which is the best specimen?

Pam said:
What reasons?
So you don't waste space, increases chance of getting at least 1 per section, you'll have a choice of two so at least one will be the healthy one, etc etc.

Slinter said:
How am I supposed to know which is the best specimen?
You'll know. It'll be happy, big set of embrionic leaves, really green (aka, not light green/slightly yellow).

Back