• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite What is YOUR Favorite Tomato for taste?

What's your favorite Tomato??

• Total voters
Yea, Tomatoes and Peppers just GO together.
Peanut butter and jelly....Bacon and Eggs...well you get it.
Anxious to see the results of thsi poll.
Black Gourmet tomatoes are winning taste test after taste tests.
They won another one in Paris :think: They aren't good for preserving, but you can't beat them fresh.

+1 for fried green.
tasty.gif

Cherokee Purple

I want to say my best ones last year were called "Brandy Boy Hybrid." (something like that anyway) Very "meaty" and sweet.

I can't believe you didn't put Romas on the list. Aren't there any sauce makers on here? Romas are excellent for sauce, whether Italian or Mexican. I do want to try the San Marzanos, though. I have never grown them, or had any that I am aware of. Italians swear by them, though.

Strange categories in this poll, and some choices have many varieties associated with them.

Like a lot of people I personally don't like most black tomatoes. Just too watery tasting
For cherry tomatoes, I usually like the extra sweet types. My favorite has always been sungold.
San marzanos are excellent when grown in their native volcanic soil in Italy but they don't seem to grow nearly as well in my environment. I much prefer the opalkas
One of my all-time favorites for flavor is the red, oxheart-shaped German red strawberry but its not very productive for me.
Beefsteaks are usually quite bland IMO, I'm still looking for the perfect extra-large red variety with great flavor and production.

Where are the Romas on the list? Come on Joe!

there on mine and that's good enough for me!! Lol

actually the San Marzano is just about exactly like a Roma so i thought the Roma should be mentioned as it is more commonly encountered in the store

and just like the others you buy taste like washed out cardboard, that's why i always grow my own

thanks Joe

I can't believe you didn't put Romas on the list. Aren't there any sauce makers on here? Romas are excellent for sauce, whether Italian or Mexican. I do want to try the San Marzanos, though. I have never grown them, or had any that I am aware of. Italians swear by them, though.

Romas, baby romas and tomatillos are awesome for hot food, can't beat them!!

I too love Romas, but when I voted other it was for a tomato that is pretty much legendary here. It is called the Jetstar.

There's all kinds of romas and most are used for sauces because of their meatiness, and not fresh eating. Many people label all paste tomatoes as romas although this is incorrect

"While favored for making sauces, pastes, ketchup and for canning, traditional romas or classic romas were never really sought after for their flavor to be eaten whole or with salads and sandwiches. But of course, this has changed over the last few decades as more flavorful, and sweeter tasting Roma cultivars have been developed and became popular. Some examples include: Roma Napoli, Martino's Roma, and Rio Grande Roma, to name a few. The classic romas, Roma VF or Roma OP can be eaten with salads and topping on pizza and taste fine. The smaller romas, Cherry Romas are sought after for snacks and salads because of the sweet, delicious flavor. Popular paste tomatoes good for sauces and eating whole include the Polish Linguisa, Opalka and Spitze (a roma style paste tomato from Romania).
http://www.roma-tomato.com/

Roma for salsa, San Marzano for sauces, Beefsteak for sandwiches, Grape for salads, Cherry for snacking.

Back