• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The March Dutch-Oven Classic

Since no-one has thrown out a suggestion (but TB in the Throwdown Thrown room),..

Members of the crown, I say Dutch-Oven, anything goes.

Can Buddy 3-peat on that?

and I'd say....BRING IT!

I'm just looking for an excuse to get ahold of my neighbor's dutch oven again and conveniently "forget" to return it.....

:cool:

Since no-one has thrown out a suggestion (but TB in the Throwdown Thrown room),..

Members of the crown, I say Dutch-Oven, anything goes.

Can Buddy 3-peat on that?

not sure that i have much of a chance in that i don't know what a dutch oven is :confused:

not sure that i have much of a chance in that i don't know what a dutch oven is :confused:

According to Urban Dictionary:

DUTCH OVEN:
The act of trapping a person under bed covers after releasing vile ass fumes
Dave vomited on the sheets when his wife gave him a white castle dutch oven.

If you're not already an IDOS member, you can sign up here. Otherwise, I'm sure Sum will be happy to take your application at the door....:lol:

J/K!

Dutch Ovens will be a great challenge. Good weather for it too. They tend to produce comfort food, perfect for a chilly day.
I'm in.

I personally wouldn't base it around a tool that not every one might have. Especially since a decent Dutch Oven is fairly expensive.

A covered pyrex dish can substitute for a dutch oven. Improvisation is always encouraged.
I say roll with it.
Every month someone suggests an idea, and then some people complain that it excludes people, and then THP makes changes based on that...
And then only 10 people enter anyway.
Not to single anyone out, but usually the people who accommodations are made for fail to enter the throwdown anyway.
People who have dutch ovens love them. It's an art form.

People who don't have one can:
A. Get one (not as expensive as you think, go to Marshalls or Kohls or a thrift store...they have them around $10) and you will love it, esp if it's cast iron.
B. Use a covered ceramic dish, like a pyrex or a corning ware.

If you don't know about dutch oven cooking, spend a little time researching it. It's one of my favorites.
My daughter's middle name is Dutchie, after my dutch oven.
My dog's name is "Doven".
I hate cats, but If I had one, I'd probably cook it in one.

According to Urban Dictionary:

DUTCH OVEN:
The act of trapping a person under bed covers after releasing vile ass fumes
Dave vomited on the sheets when his wife gave him a white castle dutch oven.

Fitty FTW! :rofl:

Fortunately my black iron dutchy did not go to tejas with mrs. blues. Goulash anyone?

I'm into the idea of using Dutch ovens.

Other ideas: baking with peppers, heating up the mildest of European cuisines: German, Polish, UK, French, etc.

I'm into the idea of using Dutch ovens.

Other ideas: baking with peppers, heating up the mildest of European cuisines: German, Polish, UK, French, etc.

Marcie, welcome. Bring your 'thang. As you are from Boston, I reckon you got some good cast iron love.

I personally wouldn't base it around a tool that not every one might have. Especially since a decent Dutch Oven is fairly expensive.

I don't really want to jump on you M, but I'd consider a Dutch Oven more as a method of cooking than a tool. We've done many Throwdowns that require a grill, smoker, or even grilling over coals (no propane). I've had to sit out TD's because of some of these past rules. It happens. A good Lodge dutch oven is really not all that expensive if you realize it will [if you take care of it] last you for the rest of your life-time, and can be handed down to your kids... and even theirs. "Great-grandpa won a TD in this here Dutch Oven." <--- I hope my kids don't sound like that, but it paints a pretty powerful picture.

Regardless, improvisation is always welcomed. Hit us up with something new and Dutch Oven-ish. It might become the new culinary hotness.

Cheers

, heating up the mildest of European cuisines: German, Polish, UK, French, etc.

I'm down with that. I'm leaning towards the German side... they could use some spice. Polish is my next.

[UK is hopeless... they should just adopt every other food as their own, and the French will never listen to anyone else about culinary delights.]

Technically, you can still make this happen... as long as it's made in a Dutch Oven.

Bring it Marcie!

Yeah, I might want to save the foreign thing for something not Dutch Oven... but I could adapt something, I'm sure.

I think spicing up UK cuisine (maybe not dutch oven, though) could be pretty cool! Imagine some really inventive fillings for pasties... or the way you could dress up a standard fish 'n chips. Lots of savory pie recipes that could be doctored up, too.

fillings for pasties...
Ummmm.... ummmmmm.... GUUD!!!!!!!
biggrinpimp.gif

After a quick jaunt through eBay's Dutch Oven listings, it looks like Dutch Ovens are basically a covered casserole type pot. They come in enamel, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, glass, most have 2 handles and a lid, some have feet for a campfire, but most do not have feet.

Seems like pretty much everyone can come up with a pot like that, and if you don't get hung up on finding a cast iron one, thrift stores should have plenty of them, especially enamel and glass ones.

Hmmmm.....I gots me a guud idee-er! Let's go for a Dutch Oven Classic!

I just got myself a rough and ready (cheap Chinese CI) Dutch Oven from a camping store yesterday. A quick buzz over with the angle grinder and then buffed with a the wire wheel attachment. Still rough around the edges but it has character :). Seasoned it twice and then whipped up a big 'ol pot of whoopass chili. It's already non stick :D

This bad boy is gonna get a lot of work thrown its way.

No ideas for the TD yet though.

Back