• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mmcdermott1 Grow List Log 2011

Well here is my grow list and status. I had a smaller home built greenhouse but I am quickly running out of room so I built a 8' long x 2' deep x 4' high one last night. Used reflective 4x8 sheet in back and bottom/sides/top are some r13 insulation that is suppose to have 98% reflectivity. We shall see. As of now, I have 445 seeds planted and/or purchased and 147 germinated seeds. Other than the 2010 Jalapeno, all seeds with a "0" germination have not been planted yet and/or were just planted in the past few day. My favorite new supplier is Trade Winds Fruit. Their seeds are germinating at an unbelievable rate. My current list is....

PepperList.png

New Greenhouse..working well. With the plastic front open, it drops to low 70's but as long as plastic is left shut, it maintains right at 82 degrees.

100_2268.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2273.jpg

100_2275.jpg

100_2276.jpg

100_2277.jpg

Now that looks like a guys true hideaway with the greenhouse, computer, :beer: What are those plants in the styro cups???. You've got a very impressive list there Mike. Best of luck with your season.

Now that looks like a guys true hideaway with the greenhouse, computer, :beer: What are those plants in the styro cups???. You've got a very impressive list there Mike. Best of luck with your season.

Those are actually black beans and some small roma's. They are actually for a science fair project for my daughter to see if hydrogen peroxide has any affect on the germination rate of seeds. Figured if they were gonna germinate..might as well keep em :)

Those are actually black beans and some small roma's. They are actually for a science fair project for my daughter to see if hydrogen peroxide has any affect on the germination rate of seeds. Figured if they were gonna germinate..might as well keep em :)

So, what are the results of the peroxide experiment? :)

Or is it still running?

Great looking setup, good luck! I have also used Trade Winds Fruit and so far so good, not only are their packets a good price, the shipping to Canada is only a buck :)

great growlist and setup...good luck in 2011...

I noticed you didn't get any seeds from Beth at Peppermania...check her selection out...she has a good selection...

Very nice setup interested to see the duration and percent of your super hot germination. I'm 16 days into germination and out of 12 bhut's i have 1. Great job keep it up look forward to more posts!

Very nice setup interested to see the duration and percent of your super hot germination. I'm 16 days into germination and out of 12 bhut's i have 1. Great job keep it up look forward to more posts!

you aren't holding your mouth right Paco...in 16 days, IMO, if they are going to poke their hooks up, they will have already done so...bad seed or too low/high temperatures maybe? I am running 90% at 10-12 days...

So, what are the results of the peroxide experiment? :)

Or is it still running?

Well..we did beans, romas, and a few peppers. We used 4 different solutions:
1 - no hydrogen
2 - 1 tsp/ cup of water
3 - 3 tsp/cup of water
4 - 5 tsp/cup of water

We found that all of them more or less germinated..but the low seemed to be the best and then none. The two higher doses germinated but much much slower.

Nice grow box, what will be your total capacity?

Not enough! I hope that soon I can start using my outdoor greenhouse. Right now I can hold 8 72 cell flats. That is fine but once I have to start transplanting...gonna run out of room fast. I may end up building another one before long.

Last year I had zero luck growing Bhuts. I bought over 100 seeds including NMSU seeds..and germinated none. This year, I used the cups and wet paper towel to germinate in oven with light on (awesome way to do it) and have had great success. I still planted some in dirt as well to compare. So far, I have about 60% germination with my bhuts. I have normal red bhuts, giant bhuts, and now chocolate bhuts. Hopefully I can keep them alive!

Back