• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Proud Pappa!

Very happy to say I'm having some good success with my wilds this year. To date, the following wild species have germinated successfully:

C. galapogoense
C. parvifolium (x2)
C. lanceolatum
C. baccatum 'Mini Mini'

Pictures will be on the way shortly.

Here are a few pictures of the kids:

C.parvifolium
48a7e3d7-5400-4ed6-8229-21795db1a114.jpg

Chiltepin
a98ff861-e355-4e01-bd78-8ce79bfce682.jpg

Florida wild
a59cec51-282f-4990-9886-cf0d2b09c33b.jpg

Mini Mini
a8b0c64d-a7f1-45c5-b737-61c9bd700456.jpg

Very Nice Ace, brake out the shot gun, protect them at all cost!

I love to grow Chiltepin"s, beautiful plant and those babies are hotter then what people expect!

How many total are you growing this year? altogether

SC

:dance:
congrats on the new babies!

kinda making me want to chuck a few chiltepin seeds in some coir, I didn't really give that plant a chance last year.

Lookin good there RTF!

How are your C. galapagoense coming along for you...any pics of those peppers poppin' fer ya?

dvg

Looking great Dan! You are off to a nice start, I know how slow the wilds start out, so that is nice to see em popping for you!
I still have a couple types that wont pop for me.
I will be watching that Mini Mini closely :)
I'm really interested in how that one turns out!

Kevin

Looking great Dan! You are off to a nice start, I know how slow the wilds start out, so that is nice to see em popping for you!
I still have a couple types that wont pop for me.
I will be watching that Mini Mini closely :)
I'm really interested in how that one turns out!

Kevin

I'm not too familiar with the 'Mini Mini'...what's the story on that pepper?

From the name, it almost sounds like a cultivar.

dvg

Lookin good there RTF!

How are your C. galapagoense coming along for you...any pics of those peppers poppin' fer ya?

dvg
Yep, had one just break the surface the other day. Will post pictures when he isn't so shy.

The 'Mini Mini' is a wild baccatum.

Yep, had one just break the surface the other day. Will post pictures when he isn't so shy.

Just a couple of questions about your C. galapagoense seeds...they have a reputation for being slow to germinate...how long did it take for yours to pop and did you do anything special to pretreat your seeds at all?

dvg

I really don't do much extra for my seeds. Normally, I soak the seeds in plastic cups for about 18 hrs. before putting them in my germination chamber. I've heard about folks using weak teas, acids, etc. but I've never had much extra success with them. Normally, I just say a quick little "gardener's prayer" when I put them in the potting soil and away we go.

The C. galapagoense didn't seem to be any more or less difficult to germinate than others. I believe it took a little over 30 days to pop but I'll have to look at my records. Maybe said an extra prayer on that one! ;)

I really don't do much extra for my seeds. Normally, I soak the seeds in plastic cups for about 18 hrs. before putting them in my germination chamber. I've heard about folks using weak teas, acids, etc. but I've never had much extra success with them. Normally, I just say a quick little "gardener's prayer" when I put them in the potting soil and away we go.

The C. galapagoense didn't seem to be any more or less difficult to germinate than others. I believe it took a little over 30 days to pop but I'll have to look at my records. Maybe said an extra prayer on that one! ;)

Well that's good to know.

The reason I asked is because I was able to obtain some C. galapagoense seeds from a couple of seed vendors.

One seed vendor told me not to throw out the seeds if they didn't germinate right away and even suggested that it might take up to 2 months for germination to occur.

30 days for germination is still quite slow for chile pepper seeds if you compare it to some seeds that sprout after only three days...but wild peppers are known to take just a little longer to get going than the average pepper seed. ;)

dvg

I would have liked to have these guys a bit more advanced but I just never know when I want to play Russian Roulette with the weather. We've had frost here in late-May.

Back