• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Lemon?

There is supposed to be a yellow cayenne-like pepper that has a citrus flavor.

I'm about to order some plants but I'm confused...what is the difference between:
Hot Lemon
Lemon Drop
Aji yellow
Aji lemon

Which is the one I'm looking for?

Lemon Drop is the only one that I've grown, and it has a definite citrus-y flavor. There's another one a friend was telling me about that's not as hot as the Lemon Drop that he called a Lemon pepper. He was pretty surprised when he tried one of my Lemon Drops.

There is a aji limon, not lemon, is that what you mean?
http://www.thechileman.org/results....n&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

I grow one I get from Cross Country that is called Limon that is probably the same pepper, but they list it as a C.chinense.

Limon is definitely not the same as Lemon Drop or Hot Lemon. I grew Limon last year. It a C. Chinese.

Chris

Pam said:
Lemon Drop is the only one that I've grown, and it has a definite citrus-y flavor. There's another one a friend was telling me about that's not as hot as the Lemon Drop that he called a Lemon pepper. He was pretty surprised when he tried one of my Lemon Drops.

There is a aji limon, not lemon, is that what you mean?
http://www.thechileman.org/results....n&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

I grow one I get from Cross Country that is called Limon that is probably the same pepper, but they list it as a C.chinense.

cmpman1974 said:
Limon is definitely not the same as Lemon Drop or Hot Lemon. I grew Limon last year. It a C. Chinese.

Chris

Well, no, and I'm sorry if it looked like I was suggesting Lemon Drops and Limon peppers were the same thing. However, the Aji Limon listed in the chileman database and the Limon that I grow look like the same pepper, so I'm wondering if there is a mis-id on one of databases, or if the Aji Limon and the Limon are two different peppers. I have noticed before that the Limon grows more like a baccatuum than a chinense, but I've never really gotten down and examined the flowers. Might have to try that this year.

pam since you've grown the "limon" chile, I'm curious about its flavour & is it true they're very prolific ? because I'm growing 3 plants this year.

chilehunter said:
pam since you've grown the "limon" chile, I'm curious about its flavour & is it true they're very prolific ? because I'm growing 3 plants this year.

I have one growing andtons of buds on plant!

lemon5-22.JPG

and I def think I should pot up....

WebofHair,

That window storefront of yours is incredible. I can't believe any chiles can grow so huge just in a window!! Are you sure it's not an optical illusion? ;)

Chris

Web_Of_Hair said:
I have one growing andtons of buds on plant!

lemon5-22.JPG

and I def think I should pot up....

chilehunter said:

They extremely prolific, and they're one of my favorite peppers. They're about as hot as I go, too.

Oh hush, all of you...I've already admitted to my general pepper wimpyness.

Anyway, I love chopping some onions, crab meat, and Lemon Basil into cheese and stuffing Limon peppers for poppers.

willard3 said:
Aji Limon is a baccatum, least the one I grow is from the flower.

Picante fruit that tastes like a lemon.

I checked, and I don't have any flowers open tonight, but I have plenty of buds. As soon as I can catch one open, I'll get a picture and post it. We'll see if it's a separate variety or a mistaken ID by Cross Country.

cliff n york said:
pam your peppers look great i would like to try some where did you get your seeds. cliff

If you're talking about the picture in this thread, those are Web Of Hair's peppers, I think.

RedThumb said:
Thanks all!
I decided to play it safe & ordered one of each :D

Well as a comparison I found...

Hot Lemon - yellow pods, largest pods, least heat, got to be 1 foot tall, produced no pods last month and producing about 6 now.

Lemon drop - yellow pods, pod size in between other two, hotter, got to be only 6 inches tall, produced 2 or 3 pods last month and producing another 2 or 3 this month.

Limon - yellow pods, smallest pods, same heat as Lemon drop, got to be only 4 inches tall. Produced 5 pods at one time (about a month ago) and then no more flowers.

None of them have a citrus taste to me but it seems the flavor difference between most peppers is subtle.

hi,
i know that hot lemon and lemon drop are very similar (some websites say are the same variety), the differences i've noticed are in pods dimensions (lemon drop are just a bit more small)

aji lemon, lemon drop (aji lemon drop) are names for the same baccatum variety

all of those have citrus flavor

aji limon and limo are chinense varieties, are yellow but have chinense typical flavor

Back