• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My aerogarden pepper plants at work

I've successfully grown super chillis and thai birds eye pepper plants in my small aerogarden. I first grew basil, then moved to super chillis, then thai birds eye peppers. Now its time to try bhut jolokias. I'm using GH hydroponics nutes (flora grow, bloom, micro) as suggested by GH.

Super Chilli, early 2010
0510101756-00.jpg

Thai Birds Eye Pepper, summer - dec 2010
0921101806-00.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Feb 2011 - ?

3/4/2010
Photo0110.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

3/7/2010 - wow it grew alot
Photo0118.jpg

Photo0119.jpg

After it gets tall enough to the limits of the grow light. I'm going to be topping the plant. There are two plants. I'll probably take one home and pot it up in dirt. The other i will let it grow in the aerogarden.

The funny thing is, these bhuts are growing faster and look healthier than my seedlings at home that are growing in dirt.

Stay tuned for updates!

I've successfully grown super chillis and thai birds eye pepper plants in my small aerogarden. I first grew basil, then moved to super chillis, then thai birds eye peppers. Now its time to try bhut jolokias. I'm using GH hydroponics nutes (flora grow, bloom, micro) as suggested by GH.

3/7/2010 - wow it grew alot
Photo0118.jpg

Photo0119.jpg

After it gets tall enough to the limits of the grow light. I'm going to be topping the plant. There are two plants. I'll probably take one home and pot it up in dirt. The other i will let it grow in the aerogarden.

The funny thing is, these bhuts are growing faster and look healthier than my seedlings at home that are growing in dirt.

Stay tuned for updates!
wow that was a fast growth. 4 days only and so much growth..:)
it must me the nutes. 24hrs light ?

I've got a buddy who's going to borrow a couple of plants to grow in his aerogarden. I'm anxious to see how it goes. Judging by this I believe they should succeed quite well.

Good luck PJ.

Man these bhut are going crazy in the aerogarden. The leaves are getting HUGE and already taking alot of space :D. I took the smaller of the two and put it in a water bottle to take home. I'll put it in a cup in soil and see how it goes. A good experiment.

3/10/2011
Photo0122.jpg

Photo0126.jpg

what is that in that bottle ? is it plain water or there is a mix of ferts ?
i thought pepper plants hate to get feet wet? interesting bottle concept :)

3/16/2011

Holey Moley! The bhut jolokia exloded in growth. The leaves are the size of my hands. Each leaf is like 6 inches long. wow. some pics. I'll top off when it gets too close to my light.

I'm wondering if i should cut off those giant leaves so i can the smaller leaves grow. Any tips on pruning?

Photo0140.jpg

Photo0142.jpg

Wow! I say let it do it's thing :woohoo: Not an expert by any means but I'd trim the small ones below before I would cut those huge factories :dance:

Just an update, bhut is doing great! Its time to top it as it getting too close to the light. I've been trimming the larger leaves on the bottom just because it makes the stem buckle on itself due to the weight.

Photo0155.jpg

Photo0156.jpg

just an update, i trimmed the branches that were getting too close to the light. The leaves were burning. I think this is the height i'll keep the bhut at. Also i noticed some new growth near the bottom. Looks like it will be bushy. I'm using my cubicle wall to tie one end of the trellis as the giant leaves are too heavy for the main stem.

Photo0166.jpg

Photo0165.jpg

You're making me shop for these things now! So do you suggest getting the taller one if I can get 'hold of it?

Yea, the taller the better. They bowl is also larger so more space for the root to grow. For nutes, i got some general hydroponics flora grow/bloom/micro. For the grow sponges, i bought them from parkseed. Just re-use the aerogarden plastic grow thingies and put your own grow sponge and seed. I germinated my seed in traditional methods and put the seedling in the aerogarden after since peppers need warmth to germinate.I bought it 2 years ago (1 quart bottles) and i'm still not done with it. If you get the 6-7 slot version aerogarden, i'd say 2 pepper trees at most since once they grow, they will need their space.

Right now this is a total experiment on bhut jolokia. Not sure if it will flower or grow any pods. Other people have tried aerogarden with bhut jolokia and failed and they had a much larger aerogarden than me. I like a challenge so i'm trying this species. If you want to grow super chillis or thai peppers, be prepared to do alot of pruning once it goes off :D

Yea, the taller the better. They bowl is also larger so more space for the root to grow. For nutes, i got some general hydroponics flora grow/bloom/micro. For the grow sponges, i bought them from parkseed. Just re-use the aerogarden plastic grow thingies and put your own grow sponge and seed. I germinated my seed in traditional methods and put the seedling in the aerogarden after since peppers need warmth to germinate.I bought it 2 years ago (1 quart bottles) and i'm still not done with it. If you get the 6-7 slot version aerogarden, i'd say 2 pepper trees at most since once they grow, they will need their space.

Right now this is a total experiment on bhut jolokia. Not sure if it will flower or grow any pods. Other people have tried aerogarden with bhut jolokia and failed and they had a much larger aerogarden than me. I like a challenge so i'm trying this species. If you want to grow super chillis or thai peppers, be prepared to do alot of pruning once it goes off :D

What does your yield look like on the more prolific species (supers and thais)? I was thinking of doing something uncommon, but not difficult.

What does your yield look like on the more prolific species (supers and thais)? I was thinking of doing something uncommon, but not difficult.

Yield is ok, super and thais, probably 30-40. I had to hand pollinate each flower since there are no insects or wind at work :D There was flower drop too. I used those vibrating tooth brushes on the flower and captured the pollen, then dip a small tip paint brush into the pollen and pollinate. Its a good work relaxer :D

Yield is ok, super and thais, probably 30-40. I had to hand pollinate each flower since there are no insects or wind at work :D There was flower drop too. I used those vibrating tooth brushes on the flower and captured the pollen, then dip a small tip paint brush into the pollen and pollinate. Its a good work relaxer :D

lol. I bet it is. Your co-workers must really wonder what's going on with those kind of noises coming from your office.

Okay...now hold still little guys...

Back