• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hawaiian chili pepper

Anyone know what chili pepper strain became the Hawaiian chili pepper? I'm guessing A cayenne type (Capsicum Frutescens) maybe a Tabasco?

Anyone know what chili pepper strain became the Hawaiian chili pepper? I'm guessing A cayenne type (Capsicum Frutescens) maybe a Tabasco?
Greetings from Kentucky....and welcome.
Regarding you question...Here's a web site and some info.... Hope it helps.

http://www.agroforestry.net/scps/Chili_Pepper_specialty_crop.pdf

Most chili peppers are classified as Capsicum annuum L. var annuum.
Exceptions include Tabasco peppers, which are classified as C. annuum L. var. glabriusculum, and ‘Scotch
Bonnet’ pepper, which is classified as C. chinense.
The so called bird peppers, including the type that is called “Hawaiian chili pepper” in Hawaii, are classified as C. annuum L. var. glabriusculum.
The very pungent “Hawaiian chili peppers” in general have yellow fruit that turn red when ripe, and remain productive for extended periods of time.
The bird peppers have become naturalized in many islands of the Pacific region and in Asia.

Greetings from Kentucky....and welcome.
Regarding you question...Here's a web site and some info.... Hope it helps.

http://www.agroforestry.net/scps/Chili_Pepper_specialty_crop.pdf

Most chili peppers are classified as Capsicum annuum L. var annuum.
Exceptions include Tabasco peppers, which are classified as C. annuum L. var. glabriusculum, and ‘Scotch
Bonnet’ pepper, which is classified as C. chinense.
The so called bird peppers, including the type that is called “Hawaiian chili pepper” in Hawaii, are classified as C. annuum L. var. glabriusculum.
The very pungent “Hawaiian chili peppers” in general have yellow fruit that turn red when ripe, and remain productive for extended periods of time.
The bird peppers have become naturalized in many islands of the Pacific region and in Asia.
Hey Chili Monsta, mahalos for the reply. The link you sent was very informative.

Hey Chili Monsta, mahalos for the reply. The link you sent was very informative.
[/quote]
kauaidundee,
Your very welcome...glad it helped.

Welcome from deepest darkest Dorset (UK)

I have been lucky enough to visit Kauai twice and its my favourite place ever.

All the very best

Daz

just got back from hawaii and picked these up at the hilo farmers market. couldnt get much info from the vendor, but i was told these are native hawaiian chilies. can anyone provide me with some more info? the link above isnt working for me. EDIT: link works.

IMG_5154.jpg

mahalo

Souf, I collected the same pods while I was at the Hilo FM last year. I also could not get definitive info. I am growing "Hawaiian Sweet Hot" which is similar in size, maybe slightly larger but the calyx is more of a claw like structure on the sweet hot as opposed to the circular constriction in your photo. There are a few other Hawaiian types listed at Cross Country Nurseries or in the Chiliman database below;

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Hawaii&genus=Any&submit=Search

I dried out a few seeds while I was there to bring home.

Good luck in your quest

Mike

look very similar to peppers brought to me from hawaii by a chef at one of the restaurant's i sell to... very tabasco-like as noted above. when he brought them to me (years ago at this point ) i actually assumed they were tabasco's grown in HI, rather than a native type.

thanks for the info capsidad. cross country nurseries has something that looks like what i have.
no specific name, just "hawaiian or hawaiian wild".

biscgolf- when i was talking to her i said "oh, nice chilies, are these tabasco?" and she said no, they were hawaiian.

i saw another lady selling plants and i asked her if they were tabasco also. she said they were hawaiian.

these arent as hot as tabasco, either. i also think they are a little fleshier.

just got back from hawaii and picked these up at the hilo farmers market. couldnt get much info from the vendor, but i was told these are native hawaiian chilies. can anyone provide me with some more info? the link above isnt working for me. EDIT: link works.

IMG_5154.jpg

mahalo

Look just like pequins. If they've been growing there a generation or two away from the original stock brought in, I reckon you could say they are native. My favorite chile's. Love 'em.

Souf, I collected the same pods while I was at the Hilo FM last year. I also could not get definitive info. I am growing "Hawaiian Sweet Hot" which is similar in size, maybe slightly larger but the calyx is more of a claw like structure on the sweet hot as opposed to the circular constriction in your photo. There are a few other Hawaiian types listed at Cross Country Nurseries or in the Chiliman database below;

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Hawaii&genus=Any&submit=Search

I dried out a few seeds while I was there to bring home.

Good luck in your quest

Mike

Mike, what's your take on the HSH flavor? Mine are taking *forever* to ripen, and I'm trying to figure out if the promised sweetness is true to its description.

Eephus, It was sweet early at first bite, but changes with delayed heat. I've only tasted one ripe pod so far. I like it though.

Souf, Here are some pics of the Hawaiian C. frutescens that I believe are the same as yours. I don't have ripe pods yet but the immature pod is also light green like yours. I thought the heat was as hot or hotter than Tabasco.

Nov222011Peppers001.jpg

Nov222011Peppers002.jpg

Nov222011Peppers003.jpg

Piquins are usually dark green when unripe.

Mike

Eephus, It was sweet early at first bite, but changes with delayed heat. I've only tasted one ripe pod so far. I like it though.

Thanks, Mike! I can't wait to try one of mine when they're ripe. I really dig sweet/hot types for just snacking on, and most chinenses are too overwhelming for me to eat on a semi-daily basis.

Back