• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Jack Stack BBQ

midwestchilehead

Extreme Member
A carnivore's dream! This place is the reason I took a job in KC and drive 60 miles one way to work. Every time I interviewed (2 or 3), I'd hit Jack Stack for lunch. They do smoked meat right, here. There are four locations around the KC metro, the original in Martin City, the OP location at 95th & Metcalf, the Freighthouse district dowtown, and I'm not sure where the other one is.

I've been to the Martin City location and wasn't all that impressed with their meats, but the beans are to die for, in any location. The best beans I've ever had, anywhere, no question. The 95th/Metcalf location is always packed at lunch, so I sit at the bar and order my favorites, the Poor Russ (chopped brisket sandwich - get the spicy sauce, which is still lame by chilehead standards) with beans and cheesy corn. It normally comes with fries (which are excellent, but I'm not much of a fry guy), so I get the other excellent sides. The meat is always tender and delicious, and the sides are perfect. Service at the bar is always great. My only complaints would be that it is upscale for a bbq place and on the pricey side (about $15.00 for lunch). And sometimes the chef is a little too liberal with the rub which contains a lot of celery salt or celery seed, I'm not sure which. It has a distinctive flavor and some may consider it overpowering. But you can't go wrong here.

Back