• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest April ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'll get slammed for this but................soul food is similar to the Cajun TD we just had and is already spicy. French-Jewish-German-andmanyothers (recently suggesteted by others)....are not usually considered a "spicy" cuisine.......

Pi's idea is a good one. Maybe make it as simple as-
take the blandest dish you can think of and spice it up!
Scalloped potatoes. mashed potatoes, mac&cheese, dumplings, pasties, bread, pie, toast, an egg, poi, chorizo, fritter, tortilla, pan, leche, cheese, breakfast scramble, .....

Pi~ If that is not your idea, I apologize, and please explain further.

take the blandest dish you can think of and spice it up!
Scalloped potatoes. mashed potatoes, mac&cheese, dumplings, pasties, bread, pie, toast, an egg, poi, chorizo, fritter, tortilla, pan, leche, cheese, breakfast scramble, .....

I know I haven't participated in any TD's yet, so my opinion doesn't carry a whole helluva lot of weight, but I love the idea of picking a bland dish and heating it up. I'll be submitting something for the April TD regardless of what the challenge is, but SL and Pi's suggestions seem golden.

Nick- everyone's opinions are welcome! Hope you jump into the "fire" and crank up something for whatever the TD might end up being!
sl

I was a big fan of the Secret Ingredient throwdown last May.

THP calls the ingredient a day or two before the TD and we make a dish + beverage (or maybe a dessert this time) using it.

It can't be mangoes though... they are not in season for SoFlo yet.

[Edit] On second thought, that's too similar to January's TD. Have to keep thinking on this.

I like the idea of spicing up some of Europe's "Traditional" fare. Humm....Spicy Bangers and Mash.

Secret Ingredients can be fun too but if I can push the envelope a bit, has anyone seen that show on the Travel Channel; "Bizarre Foods"?
If not here's a link:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods

Could be fun, exciting, frightful...

I don't have a TV, so usually I haven't even heard of shows like Bizarre Foods. But I travel frequently for business, and sometimes I turn on the tube in the hotel room. Yep, got an eyeful of Bizarre Foods one day. Frankly, it was something I had to turn off - seeing a whole, skinned monkey being pulled out of a huge pot of boiling water was just a bit too much, as it looked too similar to a whole, skinned child. So honestly, the idea of doing a Bizarre Foods TD is just plain repulsive to me..... can we agree not to go there???

THP calls the ingredient a day or two before the TD and we make a dish + beverage (or maybe a dessert this time) using it.
It can't be mangoes though... they are not in season for SoFlo yet.

[Edit] On second thought, that's too similar to January's TD. Have to keep thinking on this.
I'd still like to see a "personal challenge" TD - must use at least 2 seasonings and at least 2 other ingredients you've never used before. (And, of course, no black pepper.... :lol:)

Yep we can agree, but if no Black Pepper allowed then I reserve the right to use other colors as much as possible. Cool with that? Oh, and I like the must use at least 2 seasonings and at least 2 other ingredients you've never used before idea but it might have to be a use them in a way you've never used them before. After growing up an Air Force Brat and then serving 20+ years in the Army myself there are few things I can think of I haven't used but there are ways i haven't used them before say for instance maranating chicken in Chai Tea. Love and use both but not like that before.

Edit, Oh, and no black pepper would be harmed in the process.

I'd still like to see a "personal challenge" TD - must use at least 2 seasonings and at least 2 other ingredients you've never used before. (And, of course, no black pepper.... :lol:)

I'm trying to wrap the brain around this... I think it's growing on me.

I can think of a ton of things I've never used as ingredients. The 2 seasonings is going to be tougher.

If these are the only rules, I'm envisioning this TD as a Wildcat. <--- And THAT sounds like fun to me.

I would love to do something with 2 ingredients ive never used before

i could actually try to cook something with wine instead of beer

Yep we can agree, but if no Black Pepper allowed then I reserve the right to use other colors as much as possible. Cool with that?

In my book - no. Anything from the piperaceae family would be excluded, as anything other than black in that family is just a black wanna-be. Part of the challenge would be to come up with a seasoning mix that is fantabulous and complete without this stand-by. But then, I don't necessarily get to make the rules!

Tapas. Doesn't have to be Spanish, can be any cuisine, with at least 3 items, and a cocktail to go with your theme.

After growing up an Air Force Brat and then serving 20+ years in the Army myself there are few things I can think of I haven't used but there are ways i haven't used them before say for instance maranating chicken in Chai Tea. Love and use both but not like that before.

That's a good idea, too. But ever cooked with these? I'd bet we could come up with a couple ingredients for ya......

Tamarind? Great in Curries, right? Actually since I mentioned that Chai Tea Chicken I've been thinking about waht interesting and delicious things could be done with all the different kinds of tea there are. Like a Habanero Peppermint Green Tea Glacee, humm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back