• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing peppers and having pets

Since I'm a newbie, is this something I should be concerened about or should dogs be smarter than to eat a Bhut Jolokia or a Trinidad Scorpion?

My rottweilers do enjoy mulch, compost, their own crap on occasion, and pretty much everything else including a fish in my pond and some water lillies too. I don't want to kill them by growing hot peppers :)

Thanks!

Dogs have the habit of murdering chile plants in cold chlorophyll. even if they don't eat them, and they do... even though it hurts... they're curious and like to play with things. DO NOT LET THEM PLAY WITH YOUR CHILE PLANTS! fence them or something.

The plants in the Solanaceae (Nightshade) family can be toxic to pets and humans. As I understand it, the plant contains the toxins but the fruit does not. However, as we all know, the fruit contains Capsaicin which in itself is not toxic but highly irritating to our furry friends' mucus membranes. Keep them from chewing on your pepper plants for safety and from eating the peppers out of kindness.

As far as I know, Capsicum plants are not poisonous... never mind the fact Capsaicin is mostly considered a poison and there is such a thing as Capsaicin poisoning.

Concerned? Yes! Just not in a "OMG they'll kill my dog or cat" sort of way. I'd say your concern may/should be more of a "OMG they chewed da heck outta all my seedlings!" kinda thing. Most animals taste things there curious about. I've got a cat and a dog. Dog could care less about my plants, but the cat....ever since two of my plants started flowering, she won't leave em alone. I watch em like hawk now, cause I've no idea what her intentions are....don't care to find out either.

Cats are really bad about chewing on plants, a lot of dogs are too. They can murder a group of seedlings in a hurry, cats like to piss on plants too and bat them around with their paws. It's best to keep the plants where the animals can't get to them if possible.

Luckily, my two dogs and cat apparently have zero interest in my plants, they never go near them, not even to smell them. I still keep the door shut when I'm not there just in case they decide to go ham on my seedlings.

I've also read that the leaves and stem are poisonous, but I don't think it'll do them much harm if they eat them. They'll probably just puke the foliage back up and be fine.

I've read some conflicting articles about the animal toxicity of Capsicum. I read one article claiming ornamental peppers are toxic. Now don't mistake me, I'm not talking about the Capsaicin in the pods. I'm talking about the leaves, stem, flower, etc. of the plant. Being in the nightshade family, they do contain certain toxic which in certain doses are poisonous. Capsaicin is considered a poison but in large doses. When in doubt, err to the side of caution for your pet's sake.

I've known of the leaves being toxic and that was enough for me to fence off my growing area from my two terriers. It just isn't worth taking the risk!!

We have two cats, so all my seedlings stay behind closed doors in a spare bedroom, behind yet another door in the closet. One of the cats must get into EVERYTHING. I can't speak for the toxic leaves, but the peppers stay far away for the cats safety. If it ever came to chewed and battered seedlings the cats would end up in the compost pile. I'd rather not have to come up with a story on how the cats ran away :hell:

One of my wife's stupid cats (again, I take no ownership of them) must have climbed up on the counter at night and grabbed a cayenne pod last year. She apparently was just playing with it and then decided to chew on it a little bit. It was bad enough to lose a nice, delicious pod but then the little $hit puked all the way down the hallway. Serves 'em right for being on the counter.

I promise I won't get started on the cat issue again ;)

Redtail is correct. The stems and leaves of most Solanacaeous (Nightshades) plants are toxic. The toxin is called Solanine. Potato vines are toxic if eaten. Uncooked green potatoes might not kill you, but you'll definitely wish you hadn't eaten them. There's a certain member of the Nightshade family that is extremely toxic: Datura. There were a lot of people who read Carlos Casteneda years back and experimented with Datura. It did not end well for them, either.

Capsaicin affects mammals. Avian species, birds, cannot feel the heat from Capsaicin. This is the chile's evolutionary strategy. The strategy was to spread its seeds via avian vectors, lured in to eat the fruits by presenting colorful berries (the Chiltepin is a great example of this.) The seeds pass through the bird's digestive tract unharmed and are deposited encased in the perfect fertlizer. The idea behind Capsaicin was deterring mammals so only birds would eat the fruits. Until Man came along and the rest if history. :dance:

I promise I won't get started on the cat issue again ;)
Too late! I'm gonna side with the cats this time. If it wasn't for Mr. Ming (the destroyer) I would not have a viable garden. He's got at least a hundred kills, and in my mind, ecology is working. Ming does not eat peppers or poop to kill or otherwise hinder the peppers, but he will use them for shade on a hot day and cover while stalking.... :cool:
yesterday:
ming%20w%20gopher%20001.jpg

ming%20w%20gopher%20002.jpg

Capsicum is also a blood thinner.
Can cause pets harm in big enough doses.
The Coumadin Clinic can tell when I have super hot pods to eat.
I don't have to do as big a dose of Coumadin.

I do know people who have dogs that like a nice Habanero from time to time.
It doesn't seem to hurt them.
It probably varies from pod to pod etc. and i'd think different dogs have different tollorances.
I wouldn't be overly worried about a dog eating a plant leaf or pod here and there but if it got to stripping several plants of pods and leaves constantly then it might be something to worry about.

The food chain:
Peppers=Bird and Rat/Mice food
Rats/Mice and birds= cat food
Cats=Dog food
Dogs and Cats=Big Cat and big Bird food (cougars,Hawks,Owls and Buzzards)
Full circle :rofl:

My cats like to chew on plants, but they don't ever seem to eat them. Well, usually--they really like eating grass though, and often prefer it over houseplants and peppers. Growing some "cat grass" (oats) in front of a window for the cats to eat fresh whenever they want (and encouraging/reminding them to do so) might keep them away from your other plants at least somewhat... but if the plants to be kept away from them are in their reach, they'll probably eventually get the urge to take a few bites/chews, so you probably can't completely rely on this.

Some cats are different than others though... some might not even care about plants too much, especially as they grow older. If yelled at, some of the more well-behaved cats might listen and learn not to bother the plants. I have two cats, brothers--and one I can trust around plants for the most part, but the other one I can't trust at all. One of them is also much more well behaved, with the other always seemingly trying to find things to do that he shouldn't be doing to amuse himself, and repeated yelling does nothing more than make him stop until the next time you aren't looking (ie., in a few minutes).

I've never had a problem with my cats pissing in plants like Avon mentioned though... but outside is a different story, all outdoor animals seem to love finding plants to piss on, and cats are especially fond of dry to semi-moist soil (ie. the garden) to bury their shit in. We never did have any big pots that are big enough for a cat to jump into, so that's probably it. As long as a cat is fixed at an early enough age, the only form of "territorial marking" it will likely do is rubbing you or other objects with its face. My cousin has one cat that just likes to jump up in a big pot that's sitting on the floor in the living room and lay down in the dirt beside the plant, but she doesn't piss in it. For some reason, she just feels comfortable laying down in it.

As for dogs--well, I don't know, because I can't stand dogs... but I do know they'll destroy a hell of a lot tougher objects than plants. My aunt and uncle's dogs destroyed my cousin's PS2 controller.

Conclusion: Yes, you should definitely watch your cats closely and put your plants where they're not easy to access. It's only a matter of time before a cat's curiosity and instincts kick in, and it doesn't take much to seriously damage a plant. Precaution and prevention is better than being too trustworthy.

I've never had a problem with my cats pissing in plants like Avon mentioned though...

Yeah...I learned that one the hard way. I tried to over-winter a bunch of plants last year in the pantry, I tried to keep the door shut at all times but my friend's kids would leave it open even after I would remind them over and over to the keep the door shut. Before I realized it, the cat had shit about 15-20 times in the plants and pissed all over them. Who needs a litter box? :mad: That cat also went ham on some of my seedlings much earlier in the year. Knocked one off the shelf which shriveled up and died, knocked another one out of its pot that I was able to save, and chewed up a bunch of leaves on the others, but they lived. I no longer have that cat, fortunately the current cat isn't into terrorizing plants.

Heh, that had to suck. Like I mentioned in my previous post, all cats are different. That's a good example there, since only one of them was the culprit. I do know cats like to piss and shit in "dirty places" though, so it's not a huge surprise. It just seems much more likely to happen outdoors, where cats are either not trained at all or are trained but just feel like they have the freedom to do whatever they want with no getting in trouble (because, well... they pretty much do). I yell at my cats if they get anywhere near my plants indoors and appear to take interest, and that sends the message well... that the plants aren't to be messed with. Either that, or I watch them and the second they open their mouth to bite it or get too close I yell at them.

Outside... the cats couldn't give a rat's ass for the most part about my plants specifically, they just liked laying down in the garden in the shade produced by them last year and didn't really bother the plants on the porch.

My dogs leave my plants alone unless I throw a toy into them on accident. We started training them from the first day they were allowed in the yard and they've been really good about leaving them alone and staying out of the planters. They got curious about some Thai's last year and bit a couple off. They haven't touched them since so I don't think my dogs are pepper fans.
Pea plants though... Not safe with any amount of training. My dogs love Peas and will strip a plant in minutes if they can get at it.

Back