• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fusing stems?

I was reading about bonchis again and saw the part about fusing stems together. Has anyone here ever fused multiple plants into one plant?
It seems like a great idea to get a gnarly looking trunk on your plant.

Maybe even create a new monster pepper species.:crazy:

Neil and Jim would love that. :censored:

I've seen YouTube videos of gardener grafting different species together, but never combining more than two plant types.

Yes! i just popped a couple seeds in a small pot and let them seedlings grow together.eventually after a few months they fused and twisted around each other!

Maybe even create a new monster pepper species.:crazy:

Not far from the truth for me SuperHot. When I'm crossing two different types the two parents are placed in the same pot and allowed to grow together alone and produce hopefully the next best thing since slice bread so I can retire in Hawaii.:woohoo:

Someday RJ you really need to publish your memoirs...it would be an incredible read!!

Experience is so priceless!!

I've been thinking about the Carlos Cancun Hab. I have as far as making a Bonzi out of it.
It has 5+ stems growing together-Fasciation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciation

See the Carlos Cancun Pics I posted...

IF it survise the mites I can't get rid of,it may be a candidate for a very interesting bonzi chile plant.

The plant starts out from 1 stem,goes to 3 and ends up with 5 easily countable stalks but there are several places 1 stalk looks like it might be a couple fused stalks that form the 1 stalk.
Every leaf node is starting to grow a branch bud.
If the plant keeps growing like it is,it would make a very interesting bonzi plant.
Lots of fused branches with other branches growing from them.
Going to be interesting if it survives.

I was reading about bonchis again and saw the part about fusing stems together. Has anyone here ever fused multiple plants into one plant?
It seems like a great idea to get a gnarly looking trunk on your plant.
Tomato to a eggplant plant.

I have so many jalapeno seeds from last year so I decided to use them for an experiment. I got some seeds in a plastic bag germinating right now and I'm gonna try to wrap like 6 jalapeno plants together into one monstrosity. This should be fun. lol

Inspired by Axel Erlandson, I have a few chillis I've planted specifically for practicing on. I'll post some pics once they're more than seedlings :P

I recall reading about research into graft-induced hybridization, whereby cotyledon stage scion is grafted onto mature rootstock and a one-way migration of genetic material occurs into the grafted scion tissue, allegedly beyond simple chimerism. The authors claimed said material could be passed down through subsequent self-seeding in the fruits of the scion tissue, and the effect was magnified with multiple grafts.

Granted, this sounds like science fiction to me, and it seems most of the scientific community still doubts the validity of such claims. Still, food for thought.

edit: Though, I guess rootstock is the wrong word, as the point is to attach the cotyledon (or at least, very young plant) to the primary growth of the base plant, then strip the scion of its own vegetation to encourage the process of assimilation. Wish I had the link...

I have so many jalapeno seeds from last year so I decided to use them for an experiment. I got some seeds in a plastic bag germinating right now and I'm gonna try to wrap like 6 jalapeno plants together into one monstrosity.

Me, too! But I only did three Jal M.... :cool: (Ungodly experimentation inspired by TheChilliRat who posted one a while back.) Scroll to bottom for ChilliRat pix

twisty%201.jpg

Also, thanks for the ideas about bonchis. An artistic way to over-winter, perhaps?

Here's an update on my jalapeno fusing project. Decided to only use 3 plants as it was way too crowded to try 6.
p4ZTq.jpg

Here's a pic of the tie. It's just a piece of thread.

z7gLj.jpg

It doesn't look like they are fusing yet. It will be interesting to see if they do eventually. I would like to see someone try this with two or more varieties. Maybe even a super hot and something not hot like a bell pepper. It would be cool if you got bell pepper sized Bhut Jolokia's. lol

It doesn't look like they are fusing yet. It will be interesting to see if they do eventually. I would like to see someone try this with two or more varieties. Maybe even a super hot and something not hot like a bell pepper. It would be cool if you got bell pepper sized Bhut Jolokia's. lol

Damn, you read my mind, exactly what I was thinking, maybe graft a TS.BT + Atomic Heart

Here's an update on this project. It's producing pods now.
sXj1y.jpg

Here's the hopeful fuse site. I can't tell if it's actually fusing yet.
IHZBz.jpg

One of 3 in the fusion isn't doing as good. I can't tell if it's because the other 2 are getting the light or because the other 2 stems are squeezing the life out of it. What do you guys think? Regardless, it's still interesting to see what happens.

Doesn't look fused yet to me. Not sure why the one plant is weakening but i imagine it's either what you are doing to them, or it's just the weak runt of the litter to begin with, or both.

Here's an update if anyone is interested. There has been some pruning but its still putting out new flowers and jalapenos with just winter window light so I'm happy with this one. I hope to carry through the years with me as a bonchi. Any suggestions?
Br5p7.jpg

HY2jX.jpg

Back