• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

special additive needed

Does anyone know where to get a Menthol additive? I am working on a new creation and need the Menthol. I looked a lil online and didn't really find what I need. Hopeing someone can help out. This creation will truly be a very unique flavor!

I assume the menthol you're looking for & mint plants are the same since DD mentioned about mint.
if it is & you can use it, then try looking at herbal/vit/min stores I bet they'll sell some peppermint extract or the peppermint oil (since its used for medical/well being)
also if you're going this route I'd only use the extract/oil from the peppermint plant vs spearmint or ? since the peppermint plants have higher concetrations of this oil that gives its taste.

or if you dont mind some little ground up peppermint leaves in the sauce you can also just go buy some peppermint tea bags rip'em open & throw away the tea bag part.

One of my suppliers that I am getting the Capsicum through also has menthol flakes. I am trying them out to see if I get the effect I want. Thanks guys

Dyce51 said:
One of my suppliers that I am getting the Capsicum through also has menthol flakes. I am trying them out to see if I get the effect I want. Thanks guys

Menthol flakes huh? Is that like the crack form of Newports?

Well the menthol flakes arrived. I ordered the Menthol BOLD. Boy it is exactly what I was looking for!!! Very minty flavor. According to the paperwork it is 99% min. Pure Menthol Crystals. They also enclosed a sample of their Oleoresin Capsicum. The paperwork says the sample they sent me has a SHU:1017741.00.

Now I can make a few test batches of my idea!!!lol

nope....not kools....maybe Newports...LMAO...no it wont taste like a menthol cigarette. More of a Fire and Ice taste. At first it burns ya with the heat and then it takes your breath away with the menthol blast. kinda a 1-2 punch...a perfect concoction for a heart attack....lmao

The fire and ice thang' just might work, kinda like a sharp slap in the face followed by a knee to the groin. That would be better than say...Marlboro Habanero Hot Sauce.
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that Habanero's may cause a burning sensation around oral and rectal orifice's.

Ya you get the picture!!! Nuthin but PAIN....lol!!

LMAO...Next weekend I will be making a few test batches to see how it works out. Getting just the right amounts of menthol and other stuff will be very tricky. We'll see what happens.

Just a suggestion for your personal safety before you start tinkering

*puts on safety goggles and lab coat*

Look into how much menthol is normally consumed in a product rather than guessing. Pure substances are much more concentrated than normally found in nature.

*takes off goggles and lab coat*

Be safe, and I think I speak for many of us when I say we look forward to seeing how you will torture us ;)

dreamtheatervt said:
Just a suggestion for your personal safety before you start tinkering

*puts on safety goggles and lab coat*

Look into how much menthol is normally consumed in a product rather than guessing. Pure substances are much more concentrated than normally found in nature.

*takes off goggles and lab coat*

Be safe, and I think I speak for many of us when I say we look forward to seeing how you will torture us ;)

Oh trust me I found out already! LOL...I had to taste...first I tasted the Oleoresin Capsicum then I tasted the menthol. The Capsicum was pretty hot. The menthol wasn't bad til I drank some water...then it spread through out my mouth. It took a couple of hours to wear off...lol...SHould be an interesting sauce when its done....not too sure what it will taste good on though...I'm thinking about useing it on Ham or a pork roast to start with.

Dyce, just curious: Is the "consumable" menthol you purchased racemic, or the pure enantiomer? The pure enantiomer would be labeled (-)menthol.

I doesn't say. It says Menthol Crystals Bold. and give a description of the product. I got it from a Food Flavour and Extract Company.

Hmmm....When I have my Swamp Cooler perfected, we might need to swap bottles. I'm going for the same thing, but I'm using an entirely different ingredient (which at this time will remain unnamed).

Back