• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First timer grow log

Howdy,

My name is Steve i live in Iowa, i have decided to try my hand at growing my favorite pepper this year and after reading many forums i decided to register here and post a pic to get some of you expert's input on my baby habs. This pic was taken today they were sowed 11 days ago, i have never attempted to grow peppers from seed so i am a complete newb and not sure what to look for as far as how things are goin so far. Thanks for any responses and take it easy.

hab.jpg

+1 for robbyjoe01. Looks like you got off to a pretty good start. Based on your area, might have wanted to start your seeds off in mid-feb. There are a lot of inexpensive ways to go for a light set up.

Thanks, i was thinking i may have been a bit late on starting but it was a spur of the moment decision to give it a try, it is still really cold here only high of 32 today i looked at a chart and it showed sowing for my zip code from early to mid march with transplant early to mid may, i have them under the typical 4 ft 2 bulb florecent abut 1 1/2- 2 inches and ive been goin full 24/7 with the light i read somewhere to do this till u get 2 sets of true leaves then go to 16 hrs of light i also run a small fan on them. i havnt really decided on going in ground or buckets, either way do i need to pot up slowly or can i go right from the jiffy to the final location as per the product directions on the jiffy greenhouse i have read a few different guides but there seems to be alot of back n forth as to what where and when to get them outa that jiffy starter, and as far as the next soil i see alot of back n forth as to what to use for the next step. ill take any advice or input and ill put a new pic next saturday. Thanks again for your replies.

Welcome to the obsession SRBII......

You look like you are off to a great start. As far as potting up, it all depends on how much room and light you can provide before plant out. I went from jiffy pellets to 3" square pots, to 2 gallon pots, then plant out planned end of May. Going to the 2 gallon pots requires me to get a greenhouse, not enough room in the house for 40 plants. Stay away from anything that says "Miraclegro" on it and you will do better than many newbies.

Great job! What was your germination rate?
Thanks, i sowed 3 seeds in each and had all 3 spout in all 36 i have removed the 2 weakest when i took that photo and had 1 pellet where i accidentally cliped the good 1 with the others lol

Welcome to the obsession SRBII......

You look like you are off to a great start. As far as potting up, it all depends on how much room and light you can provide before plant out. I went from jiffy pellets to 3" square pots, to 2 gallon pots, then plant out planned end of May. Going to the 2 gallon pots requires me to get a greenhouse, not enough room in the house for 40 plants. Stay away from anything that says "Miraclegro" on it and you will do better than many newbies.

Thanks i cant take my eyes off them lol its like having 36 more children on top of the 2 real 1's i allready have, i am obsessed.

You're doing well, and RJ is right on the mark. I lost some already this season from the dam seed shell not sliding off, even had to intervene a few time to help the little fellas along.

You're doing well, and RJ is right on the mark. I lost some already this season from the dam seed shell not sliding off, even had to intervene a few time to help the little fellas along.
Thanks i did help a few with there shell i was nervous with touching them 2 much so i let them last late guys try to kick them there self looks like ill give em a hand if there still on in the morning. Cheers.

:welcome:

You have done well grasshopper! I hope you like Habs REALLY well, you're gonna have a ton of them! What kind are they......?

Thanks, i sowed 3 seeds in each and had all 3 spout in all 36 i have removed the 2 weakest when i took that photo and had 1 pellet where i accidentally cliped the good 1 with the others lol

:welcome: good to have you here. That is an great germination rate. Much better than the luck i had to start off. Maybe only 60% if that.

:welcome: Your seedlings look good. It's always nice to get an early start on things for those of us in the northern climates, but you should get good production from those. Standard habaneros have usually been bred to grow pretty well. Any kind of mainstream habanero grows like a weed for me. I bought some lanky orange habanero seedlings last year in June that produced a ton of pods.

For seedlings with the stuck cap, I like to let them grow a bit before trying to remove it. It's a lot easier to get it off after the plant gets a little bigger. I just hold the leaf and gently pull on it and it usually slides right off with no problem. It's a lot easier to decapitate the seedling when it's really small.

:welcome: Your seedlings look good. It's always nice to get an early start on things for those of us in the northern climates, but you should get good production from those. Standard habaneros have usually been bred to grow pretty well. Any kind of mainstream habanero grows like a weed for me. I bought some lanky orange habanero seedlings last year in June that produced a ton of pods.

For seedlings with the stuck cap, I like to let them grow a bit before trying to remove it. It's a lot easier to get it off after the plant gets a little bigger. I just hold the leaf and gently pull on it and it usually slides right off with no problem. It's a lot easier to decapitate the seedling when it's really small.

Thanks, I was able to remove a few more of the stuck caps this morning without harm there is 1 stuborn yet i will give another day and try again :)

very nice - thats a lot of heat you're packing.

Thanks, I know right i didnt expect to get this kind of turn out I plan to hold an adoption in may i only plan on raising 8 or so, i have found homes for most of the others well see how many i have in may first i guess.

Back