smokers Big Green Egg

My charcoal grill is about to completely fall apart & my wife is buying me a new grill for our anniversary. I have a couple friends that love their BGE & I'm leaning more that way. Anyone here have one?

It's like a UDS that you don't have to build, that holds even temps better because it is ceramic. Go for it.

Well, when the anniversary present convo came up a few weeks ago I brought up either a BGE or some new wheels for my tri bike. When I said BGE she was fine with it, but when I brought up new wheels I got the :eh: face. Lol

So it looks like I'm going to be getting the XL BGE. I'm going to start on the table for it next week & then pick it up. I'll post up pics when it's all done.

I have two, incredibly versatile. Don't settle for the "knockoffs" save the extra and buy the authentic one. If you buy one of the knockoffs, you will end up buying a BGE anyways, it ends up cheaper just buying the egg first off. Also the Large is the most popular size for a reason. I have both the large size and the medium.

You think they are expensive there, you should see the cost in Canada!! but if you figure how long they last it sounds better. I have used the Komados as well, and they don't survive the winters well, there are some knockoffs wrapped in steel too, you can't cool them down quick enough to be usefull during a cook.

I like the BGE, but I would go with the larger 22 1/2" WSM for about a 3rd of the cost and invest in a stroker basic wifi system that uses a 10cfm fan and get a few probes. Then I would upgrade the water pan, add handle racks, and coal rack.

In addition to that you can add several other do it yourself mods like rack extensions, rotisserie etc. Just do a google search for wsm mods and you will have hundreds of good ideas.

My charcoal grill is about to completely fall apart & my wife is buying me a new grill for our anniversary. I have a couple friends that love their BGE & I'm leaning more that way. Anyone here have one?
May seem pricy but considering the versatility not to mention you will never have to buy another grill it's well worth it. I have two, a large and a medium. Got the large 15 or so years ago and still cooking on it like the day I got it. You will not regret getting one. Go for it.

I've been using a standard Weber charcoal kettle grill for 5+ years and it does everything I've ever needed/wanted. From grilling brats and burgers on up to and including smoking Thanksgiving turkey. I use it pretty much weekly for 8~10 months of the year, and maybe once a month the other few months. I tend to favor smoking over grilling, but not enough to lay out cash for a dedicated smoker.

My brother-in-law has a Big Green Egg, but I've never seen it move from his garage... kinda like his '68 Camaro, golf clubs and motorcycle. I might have to steal it from him for awhile to see how it does. Hard to imagine it'll grill/smoke 10x better than my old trusty Weber.

Oh, I should mention that the Weber has lived outside in the weather of Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado and Georgia year round, has survived rough moves 3 times and still looks as good as new... or would if I'd clean it. The stand is a bit wobbly now, but still holds the grill up and the wheels still roll.

What everyone else said.  IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE,   you can hold a "rock steady" temp without blinking an eye. you can sear steaks at 800 F. You can smoke at 180 for 18 hours. and make pizza and bread that are as good if not better than from Brickoven pizzarias.  I just made a chocloate moruga pizza sauce last night lol with some frozen pods from judy last year.  im making a margarita pizza with it tonight on the egg. Cant wait

Back