• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Zesty Best Food Show

We just returned from the Zesty Best food show in Orange County, CA. What a joke. I saw 2 buyers there on Friday and they both had our hot sauce in thier stores already. They probably had 500 people come through the show all weekend!!! They expected 15,000! After paying $600 for a booth, $400 in gas, $450 in hotel rooms, $400 on food and drink, and taking time off of work we sold under $200!!! We usually pull in $1500 to $2000 at these shows. It's always enough to pay for the show expenses and the new customers you aquire are the benefit. There was no carpet on the floor (very ghetto), and they made promises that they didn't keep on thier website such as: There will be an onsite party Saturday night (no party), there will be a showmanship award (no award), winners will be given a certificate and a ribbon and winners' stickers (only got ribbons). Then they have the balls to to tell us it's not thier fault. We will never go to another event put on by that promoter. We sold 4 times the sauce this weekend at a local event that costs $125 for a booth. ahhhh. I feel better after venting. Almost every vendor I talked to was angry. Anyone else have a different experience there???

Lee - I'm not sure if anyone else here went out there. Sorry to hear you had such a bad expeirence there, haven't they been doing this event a few years now? Seems they should get their act together by now.

Food show sucks

No, it was thier first year. It was put on by Mary Carter of Jazz Foods. We learned a lesson- never do a first year show unless you're willing to risk losing a couple grand.

Ah, for some reason I was given the impression from their rep that it was at least their 4th year. Did you ask for a refund? There should be some sort of contractual obligation on thier end at least.

We didn't attend this show either, we were to busy to attend the show we really wanted to do... NY Fancy Foods.

Sorry to hear of your negative experience.

Nick's right about trying to get a refund, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you're unhappy, chances are the other vendors are too.

Fwiw, if you all sue her and her company for a refund, not only will you all get a smaller piece of nothing, she'll be out of business and won't be able to put on another show next year to make up for it...

Was it that bad an experience or one simply worthy of a discount of the next show?

That said... Welcome the school of thought that says unequivocally, "NEVER ATTEND A FIRST YEAR SHOW!"

T.

Granted I don't have much experience with the big shows, but I have found doing small ones, like Fireman's BBQ's, local farmer's markets, etc. to not only be fun, but WAY less expensive. We're doing one in Sept. in Hillsborough, NJ for the local Fire Company. Not only do you get your name out to people that don't necessarily know it, albeit fewer, but this one only cost us $25, and they are setting up a Margarita stand next to us to 'cool off the customers', not to mention allowing us to bring some turkey fryers to make wings. Granted, the bigger shows are much more exposure, but the smaller ones do have their perks as well.

Back