• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics some new Jalabanero pics

jalab6-2-1.JPG

jalab6-2-2.JPG

jalab6-2-3.JPG

Took the sickly one home from the store. This one hasn't done anything in over 2 weeks. Most of it's leaves are crispy hard...
jalab6-2-4.JPG

Very cool.
What are you trying to achieve with the Jalabanero ?
More heat, taste, bigger pods?
At some point you will need to define the "Jalabanero" and only select the pods that meet the criteria for the future F3.

Jal is about 75 days and habs 90 days.
How long does it take to have mature Jalabanero pods?

habman said:
Very cool.
What are you trying to achieve with the Jalabanero ?
More heat, taste, bigger pods?
At some point you will need to define the "Jalabanero" and only select the pods that meet the criteria for the future F3.

Jal is about 75 days and habs 90 days.
How long does it take to have mature Jalabanero pods?

Last year they took aboot 45-55 days from first sight of the pepper, right after the flower falls off.

I am trying to achieve the blend of the two peppers, flavor and heat. I should of been more selective on the seeds I chose from the F1 peppers, but the original parent plant is still alive and if any peppers show up I will make sure there is no possibility of cross pollination. and thanks for the suggestion!

Japs and Habs are my 2 favorite peppers! I love Habs heat, but Jalapenos just have the best flavor. Wow. Did you just buy them or did you cross any yourself?

The F2 peppers I have had so far have tasted more like a Jalapeño with less of the Habanero flavor from the F1. The heat is defiantly still there and one slice made a grown man shed a tear the other night. Very juicy and semi-thick walls. I'd say the heat level is that of a Habanero.

Crossed them myself two years ago with luck from advice found all over the internet. Other crosses I've tried have failed. Next year I might have a Naga Lemon (Naga and Lemon Drop). This year however I did plant an unexpected hybrid (I knew it might be a hybrid) and it is a Tabasco hybrid of some kind.

ripetabascohybridF1.JPG

Hello again Web of Hair, I like your botanical adventures... are the plants pictured from F1 seeds, or from F2 seeds? If they are F2 plants, then it's a very interesting generation, because it is in this generation that the hybrid falls apart and there is a good chance of finding a really special individual for a desirable combination of P1 traits. Personally in this Japalapeño / Habanero combination I would try to have a Habapeño rather than a Jalabanero, because the Jalapeño could flesh out the Habanero very nicely and add some robustness in flavor, some depth. The Habanero is like a high pitch type of heat, the Jalapeño has more bass, so a Habapeño could be a winner.

Don't know if you ever ventured into cubing a very desirable individual, it's a way of trying to come up with a true-breeding seedline out of the one individual that you really liked (need to keep the desirable plant alive, and backcross to its successive generations of its offspring so as to raise the percentage of the special individual in the seed). It could be a great way to make some money too, especially if you come up with your own true-breeding Naga variation, like making it bigger, more productive and with more flesh. What's the Naga flavor like? Typical Chinensis?

Hey Leather, not to undercut your questions, but while you are waiting for a response...

I revived this thread the other day because someone thought that their jalapenos were so hot that they had been crossed with a habanero, even though they still looked as smooth and fleshy as any jalapeno out there.
I brought this thread back to show them the wrinkles this cross left on the pod.
I know that it is theoretically possible for a hab to be so far back in the family tree that there is no visible sign of it, but such diligence and patience to produce such a plant would probably result in expensive seeds or plants that would surely be marked as such. Wouldn't you say?

cheezydemon said:
Hey Leather, not to undercut your questions, but while you are waiting for a response...

I revived this thread the other day because someone thought that their jalapenos were so hot that they had been crossed with a habanero, even though they still looked as smooth and fleshy as any jalapeno out there.
I brought this thread back to show them the wrinkles this cross left on the pod.
I know that it is theoretically possible for a hab to be so far back in the family tree that there is no visible sign of it, but such diligence and patience to produce such a plant would probably result in expensive seeds or plants that would surely be marked as such. Wouldn't you say?

Hi Cheezydemon; accidental pollination is very common, so it's definitely a possibility for a jalapeño to become very hot and not show any signs. My parents tell me that back in the day they used to test each bell pepper for heat before eating it, because it was very common to have very hot bell peppers due to stray pollen, and they look like sweet bell peppers.

Regarding expensive seeds due to work, I don't think is really that much work... all you need to do is to keep the one special individual alive wintering over indoors. You can grow cuttings of this plant, or even grow a mini plant under fluorescents just to speed up the seed generations, you can do this in just a few months. I'm tempted to do it with the Naga pepper, selecting for the most outrageous Scoville score, but I don't have access to testing... otherwise you grow 20 plants, test them to see which one is highest, and then you work on that plant... don't know what the heat variation among plants is, could be pretty wide. The Red Savina for instance tested over half a million just once, then never again... so it seems that Frank Garcia came up with a special plant for the test. And prices for seed are already outrageous at nearly $1 per seed in the case of the Naga... that's very good profit for the efforts if you develop a sub cultivar that's even hotter or better documented, etc.

By the way CheezyDemon, I see you are a chef and I'm wondering how to go about making a hot sauce that will preserve well without vinegar... I want to do a typical pepper mash sauce without the vinegar which I don't care for, as I find it alters the taste. I saw a new sauce called ChilliBeer, it's a commercial sauce and has no vinegar nor any preservative... I wonder how they do it. Any ideas appreciated.

LeatherMouth said:
Hello again Web of Hair, I like your botanical adventures... are the plants pictured from F1 seeds, or from F2 seeds?

The pictures where there is a small tomato cage in the picture is the F1 plant, no cage = the F2 plants. I took new pictures of peppers picked but the batteries died while trying to upload to the computer.

Hey Leather, sorry to take a while to get back. Thanks for the info.

The only sauces that I have done without vinegar are ones that I would use within a few weeks or so. Vinegar became so prevalent in sauces because it is a preservative.

I have done a lot of infused oils, which I use as a finishing sauce or to saute onion and garlic for a dish.

As for a good pureed sauce, I like:
10 or so red jalapenos halved, then smoked for 1/2 hour
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt

Puree until it is as smooth as possible.

Back