• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

People Copying Website Content - David Lechner

Status
Not open for further replies.
David David David :shame:

Someone sent me an email with a link to your new site. If you're going to copy and paste from my site the least you could is clean up my typos.

My page on the hottest peppers - http://thepepperseed...s-in-the-world/

Davids page (created on or after March 16th) - http://buynagaviper....st-pepper-list/

An obvious copy and paste with some very minor edits. My post has a typo - "Yellow Bhut Jolokia (also call "Lemon Bhut Jolokia")". Call should be called. Same typo on Dave's page.

Perhaps you'll notice the traffic to your page from this post and will do the right thing - edit your page or link to the source you "borrowed" it from. If you can't even spend 30 minutes coming up with your own post/content not sure why you would expect people to trust you enough to buy seeds from your site. Bad way to kick off a little side business imo.

:shame:

Yea I just found a photo I took last year for my Butch T review being used on another commercial pepper site of someone I don’t even know. Was trying to decide if it bothered me... decided I would just enjoy seeing it on there instead of making a stink as I did not put a copyright logo on it. A simple e-mail would have been nice… but I guess if you use google images and take it from there it can kind of be hard to know who to contact to ask. It just seems like if your in the business of selling peppers you should be able to take your own photos and generate your own description and content.

It's good to see that you were able to catch this bit of petty plagarism and also to publicly address the alleged culprit.

But maybe also give yourself a pat on the back for putting out written material that was deemed so good by another, that they decided to just copy it.

Imitation, or plagarism in this case, is the highest form of flattery, as the saying goes.

Keep up the good fight and great work there ThePepperGrowingMan! :cheers:

dvg

Just another person that wants to get ahead in life without the hard work thats so often involved i imagine. I call them LAZY BASTARDS!

If you want the content removed you can send a DMCA take down request to the site host.

Most web hosts will forcefully remove the content without question, with sufficient proof.

Below, is a DMCA form letter and the host information for the infringing page.

To Whom It May Concern,

I, [Your Full Real Name Here], certify under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner of certain intellectual property rights.

The items or materials listed below are not authorized for use at the domain of ([infringing website domain here]) and therefore infringes my rights as copyright owner. I hereby demand that you act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material or items claimed to be infringing.

Infringing material that I demand be disabled or removed in consideration of the above:

[ List all of the URL locations of your stolen content (this can be either a direct link to the image/sound or a link to the page where it is displayed)]

Location of ORIGINAL WORKS:

[The URL from your website or location where your content is listed legally]

This letter is official notification under Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), and I seek the removal of the aforementioned infringing material from your servers. I request that you immediately notify the infringer of this notice and inform them of their duty to remove the infringing material immediately, and notify them to cease any further posting of infringing material to your server in the future.

Please also be advised that law requires you, as a service provider, to remove or disable access to the infringing materials upon receiving this notice. Under US law, in order for you to remain immune from a copyright infringement action you will need to investigate and ultimately remove or otherwise disable the infringing material from your servers with all due speed should the direct infringer, your client, not comply immediately.

I am providing this notice in good faith and with the reasonable belief that the rights I own are being infringed. Under penalty of perjury I certify that the information contained in the notification is both true and accurate, and I have the authority to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright(s) involved.

Should you wish to discuss this with me please contact me directly.

Thank you.

[Your Full Real Name Here]

Address
City, State Zip
Phone

Registrant information

egistrant:
David lechner
81 se 16 ave apt d202
gainesville, FL 32601
US

Domain name: BUYNAGAVIPER.COM

Administrative Contact:
lechner, David
81 se 16 ave apt d202
gainesville, FL 32601
US
+1.7272447490
Technical Contact:
lechner, David
81 se 16 ave apt d202
gainesville, FL 32601
US
+1.7272447490

Registration Service Provider:
Ecommerce, Inc.,
800-861-9394
http://ecommerce.com
UNLIMITED Storage Space, Monthly Transfer, and up-to 15 domains,
starting at $3.95!

FREE DOMAIN REGISTRATIONS WITH EVERY HOSTING ACCOUNT + FREE FEATURES
INCLUDED. ONLY AT ECOMMERCE.COM

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 16-Mar-2011.
Record expires on 17-Mar-2012.
Record created on 17-Mar-2011.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
NS18.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
NS17.IXWEBHOSTING.COM

Domain status: clientTransferProhibited

:crazy:

I mange a 50,000 member gaming site. So take down notices become second-nature. ;)

Haha, yeah it looks like you know what you're doing there. :cool:

If ThePepperGrowingMan is really perturbed with this whole event, those are probably the proper channels to most efficiently have this issue dealt with.

dvg

I thought that picture looked familiar.

Too funny. As a businessman you are taking less seriously than I would have but good for you having a sense a humor and the like. I'm sure he'll fix it. At least I hope so. Perhaps he'll send you an edited version for you. :)

This is my site...this is the text to my website I`ve had for the past 11 yrs.

Welcome to our web site!
We pride ourselves on providing customers with the best-quality products and personal service.

This Australian person copied the text from my website a couple of years ago see below..

Welcome to the Australian CHILLI SEED BANK.com.au
We Buy, sell and trade all types of chilli seed & chilli related products.
100% AUSTRALIAN OWNED

BUY OUR RANGE OF THE HOTTEST CHILLI SEEDS FOUND ALL OVER THE WORLD!!
We pride ourselves on providing customers with quality CHILLI seeds for sale, hot chilli sauces and chilli products, and believe personal service is the key to good business.

Welcome to our web site!
We pride ourselves on providing customers with the best-quality products and personal service.

This Australian person copied the text from my website a couple of years ago see below..

100% AUSTRALIAN OWNED

We pride ourselves on providing customers with quality CHILLI seeds for sale, hot chilli sauces and chilli products, and believe personal service is the key to good business.

I bought my first seeds from the chilli seed bank a while ago. I guess I was like most people, I googled "chilli seeds", went to a link from the first page and looked through their catalogue. I went to a few other sites as well to check prices but eventually bought from them among others.

At least they changed the words a bit. Having said that... they are very common retail phrases and if you saw them used to sell carpets or cowboy hats you probably wouldn't care. But I'm assuming your site is a Chilli product site? and as a direct competitor that isn't ok.

The first post about directly copying and pasting text from your site is going a step further and is like they're saying "what u gonna do about it punk?!"

Welcome to our web site!

100% AUSTRALIAN OWNED

I remember when Ian first joined THP and claimed to have the BEST quality chilli seeds, i challanged that statement and it appears that he changed the wording.
The Chilli Seed Bank is no longer owned by Ian, he sold it over twelve months ago when he moved to the USA with his wife. Two guys run it now, Mick and IDK :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back