• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Hobbies??

Up until 5 or 6 years ago (when fuel prices went nuts) I spent 99% of my free time offshore bottom fishing or trolling, sold my boat & started fishing more inshore. After doing that for a while I wanted to try fly fishing for reds & trout (speckeled trout, saltwater :lol: ). Then after a season I got tired of buying flies so I started tying my own. So I went from expensive to even more expensive! :crazy: I've always been a runner since I was in school & a few years ago a coworker talked me into doing a triathlon....well, I was hooked & who would have thought that swimming, biking, & running would have cost so much! :doh: Fast forward a few years to now & I think it would have been better on my wallet to keep my boat years ago! :lol: Now I have a 4 year old son that I think is more addicted with tri stuff & running than I am. He & my wife come out to all of the races, no matter what time I have to be there & he is my biggest fan. He's doing his first tri this November (he will be 5), it's a 1 mile bike, 25 meter swim, & .5 mile run. He's stoked!

At my races he has to take his shirt off & have #'s written on him like everyone else, here are a couple pics from 2 different tri's last year.
IMG_0311-1.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

prime-time with your son is priceless...proud to see a father like you....

as far as my hobbies go...I used to play golf 2-3 days a week and had my handicap down to 6...but then I got into Bass fishing at Lake Fork (bass lake in east Texas) and it cost me an average of $80 a trip and I was fishing as much as I played golf...boat burned up and I took the insurance money, bought a PA system and a mandolin and have been making money with my hobby ever since...I love the fact that now, my two hobbies (growing peppers and gigging) are making me money and paying for themselves instead of me spending hard earned money with no return on investment...

Hobbies, oy, have I got hobbies! Traditional archery, arrowmaking, hunting, foraging, wild mushroom gathering, cooking, writing, and reading.

Fishing and Metal detecting... I have a fly tying desk too, made thousands the first year, not it's just a place to lay stuff on. I do like finding gold at the beach though.

MD009.jpg

My hobby is wine. Started with a couple of bottles and now it's over 300 bottles of Napa wine, champagne, French wines, Italian wines, etc. Love going to wine regions to taste.

where do i start?
knives
RC
music
tea
booze
classic shaving
shooting
hiking
computers
and many more.

Cured meats and sausage, or anything smoked is my thing lately. There is always so much to learn and try, I'll never get bored of it. Next step is to make an environmentally contolled drying chamber for air-dried salamis, pepperoni, hams etc.

Auto mechanics
Graphics
Singing
Fishing
Cooking
Drawing
Electronics
Collecting wristwatches
Traveling
Reading
Shooting
and lots more, I guess.

I'm into a lot of things, but it's a fad kinda thing.
For example for a while I used to set up Hydroponics systems for people growing "indoors", and now I'm going to breed some local freshwater fish. also looking into fabricating auto parts. I'm interesting, when I'm able to move. :lol:

I used to make my own beer and wine, but have been traveling too much to continue. I also raise orchids from flasks. But my favorite is origami.

I love to work with leather. I paint (for example my avatar). I started photographing with fourteen and went all the way from 35 mm SLR over my own darkroom lab to now digital SLR. And then there is the WWW. And my CD-Collection. Cooking. Restoration of furniture. Home improvement.

I make things. Knives, axes, soap, wine, mead, bows and arrows, blacksmithy stuff, wooden chests, and I'm sure a few other things I've neglected.

Jamie

Used to be wood working but gave that up after one winter. An unheated garage is not a good work shop when the outside temps are below zero Fahrenheit. Now I'm into collecting and breeding tarantulas. I won't get rich but it does pay for itself.

I currently have almost a dozen females that have been mated with males and am now playing the waiting game. Babies can range in price from $2 to over $200 depending upon species. Females can have sacs containing 50 to 2000 eggs.

This particular female is a Poecilotheria striata and has between 100 and 200 babies per sac. They sell for $20-$30 each. She has a leg span in excess of seven inches.

IMG_6272rre.jpg

Sacs are usually produced within two months of mating. However there are a few species that will wait several months before making one.

I spend way too much time with computers (work, private time etc).
I like to travel, but don't travel anywhere near enough...
I read analog books (can't do digital usually, too bad ADD). And set many of the books I've red to travel somewhere, and follow them in bookcrossing.
I'm owned by two basement cats.
I like growing odd plants (pineapples, bananas, peppers etc... but I guess all those count as normal here).
Cooking is fun; my cooking style is usually a fusion of Sicilian and Far East, Korean and Japanese inspired.
And hacking or repurposing everything is fun too.

Well lets see..with 7 kids running us all over, its not like i have time for hobbies anway but when I can actually find time...

Love hunting white tail
Wife and I really like auctions..nothing better than a box of "junk" to go through when you get home and see what treasures you have found
Really enjoy coaching youth football. Have done for quite a while and will continue until my youngest (3 years old) is through it. www.cairofootball.com

Back