• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Origin of Super Chile Hybrid's

I'd like a great experience with Super Chile Hybrid Peppers, and ask about the origin:

Without knowing anything about the breed, I randomly bought some plants from my local nursery at the beginning of last season. They were great for my short growing season, as they fully matured in 60 days or less. In addition, they prospered in partial shade, as well as full sun. They have good heat and flavor. I saved some seeds and have had 100% germination (8 for 8) rate!

What is the origin of this breed? There must be a story behind it.

off the top of my head, i don't know, but i bet you can find out from the tons of resources. but what i do know is super chili is just a super pepper plant to have around(pun intended). i have several plants on the go and just love the way they produce. another plant, that is just fabulous, is kung pao. if you get the chance to purchase a kung pao plant you will not be disappointed. kung pao starts out with a plant that has very large elongated leaves, then, out of no where, it flowers, and not little shitty flowers but realistic large umbrella flowers. next follows the fruit. that is very long and thin, not too hot but just right for things like stir-fries.

good choices all around.

Cool,

I'll see if I can pick up a few kung pao plants for my garden.

I'm hoping that a few of Super Chile's will be different hybrids, as they were all open pollinated without any care taken to isolate them from other species. The only other peppers that grew well in my garden last season were Lemon Drops, and I don't think they are compatible with the Super Chile's. I did have a few other types of peppers that flowered a lot, but hardly produced fruit. Could these have crossed with the Super Chile's?

Thanks

they are both annuums but i personally not into crossing, i am not against it, i just the uniqueness of the individual plants. short stocky superchili with an abundant of chiles that point upwards and the nice, long lengthy hanging pods of the kungpao. their leaves are unique also, short pointy leaves of the super chile and the large long pointy leaves of the kung pao. two so totally different plants with their own personality character traits. love'em both. (as a matter of fact, last year, my over wintered superchili was the first to produce edible pods and that was in april).

fresno was a fast producer for me also, last year. they grew like weeds and delivered nice pods with a milder heat level but very low maintenance.

i like to grow many different varieties, i have a lot of plants but only a couple of each variety.

good luck with your new sport.

I'd like a great experience with Super Chile Hybrid Peppers, and ask about the origin:

Without knowing anything about the breed, I randomly bought some plants from my local nursery at the beginning of last season. They were great for my short growing season, as they fully matured in 60 days or less. In addition, they prospered in partial shade, as well as full sun. They have good heat and flavor. I saved some seeds and have had 100% germination (8 for 8) rate!

What is the origin of this breed? There must be a story behind it.
Dragon49,
You may want to pose your question about Super Chili's to Spicy Chicken.
He grows a bunch of them in Minnesota...I purchased some of his Super Chili powder this year and love it.
He also threw in some dried pods...and I harvested some seeds,which so far they have germinated at least.
Now I just hope they produce pods for me this season.
CM

Super chili is a hybrid so the seeds you saved will not grow true

Not sure of the origin or the parent plants, but here's some info
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=super+chilli&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

If my plants will not be true, will they all be one or more of the varieties that were bred together to create the original super chile variety? Is that how the science works? Things could get interesting, if some of these crossed in my garden. As I can't easy find out exactly what was bred in order to create the super chile, maybe it is deliberately kept a secret so only the people who created the original recipe can sell the seeds. Assuming that the seeds from my super chile's from last season are from plants that did not cross in my garden, how should the new plants be scientifically classified?

Nice harvest pics!

Thanks

You'll end up with random plants showing different traits from whatever was used as parent stock. Some may be similar, others could be vastly different. It's just luck of the draw. You may get a plant identical to last years parents but with less or more yield, or a different flavor profile. You may get a plant that grows totally different looking peppers.

I'm not sure how much breeding was done on the super chili but I doubt they stabilized it so my guess would be the original seeds you got were probably just an F1 cross of 2 parent plants that also may or may not have also been crosses themselves. The more genetics in the parents, the more variation you will get. Successive generations would be F2, F3, F4, F5 etc on down the line. The further you go usually the more variation you will see. You can try and stabilize it by selecting the plants with traits you like and breeding them together, as well as back crossing with with the original super chili plants to try and speed things up a bit. This takes time and space, I don't bother with breeding anymore due to the number of plants needed to truly work out the traits.

Good luck playing with them. If you get something you really like out of the seedlings, then my suggestion would be to take cuttings of them to keep it around. Unless you have a ton of time and space to devote to breeding it for stabilization of the traits you like.

I'd love to selectively breed one day, but right now, I don't have the time or space. Is a lot of fun playing with the breed and seeing what nature serves up. I'll be sure to post pics of the plants and peppers.

The 100% germination rate impressed me. I started out right by taking seeds from ripe peppers, letting them dry, and keeping them in a sealed ziplock in a dark place. My sprouting technique is not recommended as best, and I usually have less than 50% overall success.. I pack potting soil in small pots, make a small depression, put 1 seed in, cover It, give a decent soaking and wait.

Super chilli is an f1 so the f2s you saved will show the most variation. This is where you want to grow many plants and only select the plant with most desired characteristics for seeds saving, and continue doing this for around 6+ generations until they breed true.
Maybe just easier to buy new f1 seeds :)

I'm not sure how much breeding was done on the super chili but I doubt they stabilized it so my guess would be the original seeds you got were probably just an F1 cross of 2 parent plants that also may or may not have also been crosses themselves.

To be an f1 both parents have to be true-breeding, stabilized plants of distinctly different parental types

To be an f1 both parents have to be true-breeding, stabilized plants of distinctly different parental types

Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember if it was true breeding parents, or 2 different sets of previously crossed non stabilized parents to get F1's. I long ago figured out I didn't have the space to properly stabilize anything so I stopped bothering and just buy seeds that will definitely grow into what I want to eat.

Potawie and J762,
Thanks for the info guys....very educational for me.
I appreciate the explanation(s)
CM

No problem. Sharing is the best way to learn new things, and be corrected on things you thought were correct but really aren't as seen directly above. :)

Now that all of my Super Chile Plants have grown the 2nd set of leaves and have gotten bigger, it is clear that they have not bred true. I see 2 different leaf patterns among the 8 plants. I'm now officially on a quest to find my digital camera!

It would be imposible for f2 seeds to breed true, all 8 plant will likely be quite different. Should be interesting

POTAWIE & J762, you two were double posting. not something THP would like.
I merged your posts for the aesthetic look. next time please use the multi-quote button (check the multi-quote button next to the reply button in each post you'd like to comment on and add reply), or simply edit the comment you already posted.

Thank you very much and good day. ;)

I'm not sure if I understand the science 100%. I understand that these will not breed true, but why can't 2 or more of the 8 plants end up the exact same variety, which would be one of peppers that were bred to create the superchile?

Also, If one were to sprout enough seeds (100 or so?) of an F1 type, would they be able to "reverse assemble" the breeding that took place to create the original F1 Hybrid as all possible breeding strains would be produced? Is this is correct, then statistically, how many plants would one have to produce from F1 Hybrids, in order to assure at least 1 of each breeding pepper was produced?

It would be imposible for f2 seeds to breed true, all 8 plant will likely be quite different. Should be interesting

I don't quite understand the question but f2's will not only express dominant genes but also recessive genes and unlike f1s every plant should show different characteristics. In other words its not just growing features from the parent plants but also from grandparent and great-grandparent plants. It takes around 5-10 years of inbreeding to stabalize a hybrid

I don't quite understand the question but f2's will not only express dominant genes but also recessive genes and unlike f1s every plant should show different characteristics. In other words its not just growing features from the parent plants but also from grandparent and great-grandparent plants. It takes around 5-10 years of inbreeding to stabalize a hybrid

Very god info Potawie. Now I see why everyone refers me to you with questions like this :)

I have a post somewhere about "amazing pepper". It is actually a super chili i found in my garden from last year after snow melted. For the heck of it, I tried germinating 20 of the seeds. 17 germinated and the plants are growing extremely fast. Should be interesting.

Back