• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

How do you like your chili?

i like mine a little spicey..not running around with your head on fire hot...but just hot with beans and chips and cheese

Beans in chili

Who makes up these rules? Food is made the way you like it, sweetheart, honeybunch. If someone wants beans in their chili who are you to tell them it isn't chili or that they can't cook them together? Call the food police, someone is putting beans in their chili!

Sorry I incensed you - ICS and CASI make up the rules for competition chili - yes we all have a choice when it comes to personal eating habits of our own chili - beans or not beans -I got the feeling that people that I was conversing with were ICS or CASI cooks. We do have an enjoyment of ribbing about beans or no beans.

Do you do pinto or kidney. One has more starch than the other and does have a tendency to change the PH and gravy of a good bowl of red.

Being from the south we do have a tendency to call people sweetheart and also Darlin.

Enjoyed your comment.

i was kinda hoping the post was from a female so the dalin and honey would be a-ok..lol.........for about a year i have been cooking casi style chili which has been hard for me because i grew up with chili and beans...
chili with no beans growing up for me you put on hot dogs

chili with beans....in a bowl with chips and cheese.

so i cook the way casi wants me to but at home i use either dark or light kidney beans in my freestyle chili.

please keep the honeys and the darlins commin :P

i got a quick question for dragon......are you the one that runs fire breath dot com?? or are you just linking to it because its one of your favoriite sites???
i bought some stuff while back from firebreath dot com and it was a great transaction and if you were in charge of the site i wanted to say thanks.

I have been a CASI cook for about 28 years. Have won a few honors - was capable of getting a red jacket this past year at TICC.

Use to cook ICS years ago at Circus Circus and some here in Texas.

Personally I do not like chili - I do eat home and canned stuff with beans - oh what did I just say - well most of my long friends know how I feel about eating chili - I do not even judge much anymore. I guess after 20 years of judging I started not liking it as much.

Have you had a chance to compete at Terlingua?

hmmmmm i guess im not in your shoes only cooking and compeeting for a year and a half...but man i know this is gonna sound weird but i can eat chili every day if it was around....have never been able to find a can chili that i like...

Chili

I don't like my homestyle chili rip your face off hot. I do like beans but, put them in later and I use pintos because I can't stand kidney beans. I'm a competition cook we don't add beans to our chili because they are a filler and we would be disqualified in competition. Some people add whatever they choose to their homestyle chili....some of the things I've seen added the food police should arrest them for it. but, it's what you like and what you cook. I have not found a canned chili I like and the only other commercial chili I prefer is James Coney Island with beans and onions. One thing I have grown up with is the beans/no beans controversy....it's been prevalent in Texas forever.

:P

Beans, hot sauce, and you're welcome!

First, let me apologise to Wahene for implying I was incensed or otherwise burning over the beans issue. My response might have been a bit too heavy. It's to your credit you didn't flame me over it. For those of you in the South you should know that a stranger refering to you using an endearment sounds a bit condesending.

Yo, Bubba. I'm guilty as charged. Yes Firebreath is indeed my site and I'm very pleased that your contact with us was a good one. I wasn't going put the URL in my signature until I saw others plugging their sites. However I'm not going to post a bunch of commercials on this board.

I like my chili both with (I use pintos) and without beans. All you competition cooks impress the heck out of me. As a chef my ego couldn't take the rejection. Hat's off to all of you.

Dragon - there was really no need for an open apology. Each one of us has our own idea of chili - it is just us crazy Texans have a thing for beans in our chili.

Matter of fact when I get the absolute desire for the red stuff I get a can of Hormel with beans - I know I am suppose to be loyal to Wolf Brand but when they were bought out I fervantly believe the recipe was changed - it has more something in it that did not have before. Canned chili is not the preferance but sometimes i get lazy and the can opener is closer than the skillet.

Take care and see ya somewhere - going cooking this weekend and next and then the big one August 14th at the Texas Open in Conroe. Looks like there is going to be around 120 or so competition chili cooks there to vie for points, jackets and trophies - well also fun, dancing, friends, etc.

Have a great and profitable weekend.

I always knew the beans controversy was big in Texas. It's just like me to, uh, stir the pot. I have heard that another great controversy regards the origin of the dish. Some claim it's strictly a Texas invention while others insist it comes from Mexico. What if they're both correct? After all, Texas was once a province of Mexico, was it not? I had even more fun when I went to the following web page:

http://www.chilicookoff.com/History/History_Started.asp

The author poses a fairly compelling argument for chili originating in the Canary Islands of all places.

Have fun, Wahene. And good luck in the competition.

Keep the ribs on the fire -

I guess it could be true - both places - from what I understood the cattle drives started this mess to tenderize the meat at that time they just might have put beans in it to stretch it out. Oh mercy don't get me started again.

I will look at the website you sent.

Thanks - this weekend really is for the floating and soaking - if I get a point so be it - I am already qualified for TICC - hopefully the river is not out of control with all the rain we have had in the hill country.

It has been a pleasure tatetating with you - keep dry - safe and whatever else comes your way.

like i said before dragon....love your site...if you check out the pictures at my website under cook offs my main center peice for my chili tent is my firebreath dot com chili boxer shorts......there so colorful and really adds to my showmanship. im gonna talk to my web designer and if you dont mind im gonna put you down on my links page if i may have your permission.

Thanks for the kind words, Bubba. You're more than welcome to link to my site. Since you like to show off those colorful boxers I think we'd all appreciate a picture of you modeling them for us.

Since most chili cooks consider beans fillers .. what ingredients can be added that you do not consider fillers ... I've made chili with roasted corn, and stewed tomatoes .. etc ... (not for judging, just for home). .. would these be considered fillers?

I've also made chili with dark kidney beans ... They taste good to me, so I don't consider them fillers. Kind of like beef stew ... it has potatoes, but some chefs would call that a filler ... but to me, you can't have beef stew w/o potatoes!

:)

Basically competition chili is meat, spices and gravy.

1. meat - depending on the cookoff - hand cut or ground.

2. spices - should not be Wick Fowler or any other type of commercial packaged product. We take chili blends, pure chili powders, garlic, onion powders, cumin, hot powders, fresh pepper and come up with a combination there with that supposedly will taste like chili

3. gravy - combinations of beef broth, chicken broth, water, tomatoe sauce, crystals or cubes, chili paste. There is nothing that floats in the gravy except maybe a pepper, pork chop or sausage ball but these are removed part way thru the cooking process.

Competition chili is has become somewhat of an art - the chili is very rich - lately we have been cooking something more closely to James Coney Island - texture - but still a little more spicey.

Kidney bean are good but they are a little starchy. Try with pintos but cook the beans separate from the chili and then combine the two.

Basically everything that deters from the gravy other than the meat is a filler - nothing floating.

I like beans in my chili but only at home I would be put to Box K and probably hung from the closes limb if there were beans or anything out of the ordinary in my chili.

Hope that this answers some of your questions.

Wahene.

Thanks! Yes, I've never entered a competition, but I understand you will be shot on the spot for adding fillers! As for making chili at home, it's fun to experiment with fillers :)

Back