• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ever Use Dried Lemongrass Bits?

I picked up a bottle of dried lemongrass. It's not powdered, but is roughly chopped into pieces maybe 1/8" to 1/4" long. I tried using it, but found some of the pieces to be rather woody - ended up picking them out of my meal. I'm wondering if I have any options other than grinding it into a powder. I can see where adding them into a sauce or soup at the beginning of cooking would make a difference, for example, by rehydrating them during the cooking process. (I sprinkled them on a dish that was not as wet as a sauce or soup, so there was not enough moisture for them.) Have you used lemongrass like this before, and if so, what did you do if you wanted to use it on a less-moist dish?

Funny you should mention this, i used lemongrass in our pad thai meal last night and my girl complained of the bits in her meal. I don't mind a bit of texture but Nicole doesn't like it.

I was thinking about boiling some lemon grass in a small amount of water to infuse the flavour and use that in the dish instead. I might try it out tonight. If i do i will let you know how it goes. :P

Keep it in the largest pieces possible if you don't grind it to a powder and just ignore them when you eat your dish.

most of our grocery stores carry stock lemon grass and i always consider buying some for a stir fry but always seem to forget. today i look right at the stocks, then went to the tofu section and bought extra-firm tofu. for my pork stir fry for tomorrow nights supper. forgot all about the lemon grass.

you don't have to eat the lemon grass, it can just be used as a flavouring. even fresh, it is very woody and should really be used in a spice bag, to be removed. unless the plant is very young but that's rare to find.

hot stuff - Kind of hard to ignore what kind of feels like small toothpicks in your mouth, especially if they poke into your gums. :(

Mark - A spice bag sounds like a good idea for things like soups and sauces.

Nova - I don't mind "a bit of texture" either, but this was a bit much! Do let me know how your approach works out. That was one option I was thinking of that would work for some applications.

the best way to use lemon grass is to freeze it then shave it with a sharp knife,...theres no course fibres this way

the best way to use lemon grass is to freeze it then shave it with a sharp knife,...theres no course fibres this way

Thanks for the tip. The bottle I picked up is already dried and chopped, so I don't have that option with this, but should I find it in another form, will keep that in mind.

I use Lemon grass all the time. I cut all but the smaller bulb end off. About the last 2 1/2" to 3 " depending on the size. Peel off any tuff outer leaves then I whack it with the back of a cleaver a little to loosen it up then start chopping thin slices. After it's sliced I go nuts and chop away at it. Push it back into a pile and go at it again. I repeat until it's super fine. I mean super fine !! You don't noticed any tuff textures at all.

Dried has no flavor to me . I take any extra and cut it down and peel off the outer leaves and freeze it for later use.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

hot stuff - Kind of hard to ignore what kind of feels like small toothpicks in your mouth, especially if they poke into your gums. :(

Mark - A spice bag sounds like a good idea for things like soups and sauces.

Nova - I don't mind "a bit of texture" either, but this was a bit much! Do let me know how your approach works out. That was one option I was thinking of that would work for some applications.

Haven't had problems in the past just not eating it.

But usually I cook with rather fresh lemon grass I get at the oriental markets, in which case I take off the outer coat and then just chop it up. I find fresh grass cut up blends into the dishes just fine.

Interesting idea. I was thinking to maybe put the bits of dried lemongrass into a prep bowl or measuring cup and let soak in some very hot water to reconstitute and then use in the dish. That's what I do with sundried tomatoes, well when I'm not using the ones packed in EVOO. Could then use the reconstituted bits and the water used.

in our cuisine, we take out the lemongrass bits. but we usually use the stuff fresh. just crush the stem part and throw it in the stock or soup then take it out when you think it's imparted enough flavor to the dish.

Thanks for that tip. On a similar vein, I actually found "fresh" lemongrass this past weekend at the grocery store for the first time. Looked a bit wilted, but at least they're carrying it now.

It's also possible you can find it frozen with other specialty items.

Wouldn't mind putting the pieces in tempura and deep-frying them, so you get a really crisp crunch with that wonderful flavour.
Have I heard or seen it done? No, but there's a first for everything!

If you want lemongrass flavor in your thai food, try using this stuff:

0078895132083.jpg

I use this in my pad thai all the time. Love the stuff.

Thanks. Not too long after I started this thread, my grocery store started selling lemon grass both fresh in small packages and puréed in a squeeze tube.

It's really easy to grow them. Just buy the fresh stalks in the spring, use the top and stick the root part in a 5 gal pot... it will root within 1-2 weeks.
Pull it out in the fall and freeze it to use in the winter.
I used a lot of it in Thai & Vietnamese cooking.

Back