• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Isolation Cages

Well these are the isolation cages I am considering for this year. Agribon covers. What are your thoughts?

Isolation.jpg

They look pretty good. How are you planning on watering them? I can't remember exactly where I saw them, but some cages specifically for Capsicum were large and included some bees. Another good thing about Agribon is it will keep the ladybugs in and new pests out.

Edit: Here's the reference. I think I saw it online somewhere...

Bosland, P.W. 1993. An effective plant field-cage to increase the production of genetically pure chile (Capsicum spp.) seed. HortScience 28:1053.

Well I think the agribon will let rain through, but regardless, if the last few years are any indication, I will be hand watering anyway. That is what I have had to do the past few years.

I was using AG-19 up until a few days ago. most of the rain rolled off. If I was to leave it up all season I would have run a drip system inside. The problem is that it can easily get dirty or tear the more times you open it up to water. It's also very light and is easily caught by the wind. Just a suggestion, depending on how much of this you're thinking of installing.

yea i was gonna use ag-15. it good and bad. Good because it lets more sun in. bad because it lets aphids in but not ladybugs and bigger good bugs.

For isolation purposes you probably only want to cover the plants for a short period just before first flowers begin to open until enough pods develop for seed saving. The cages shown look a little short and you can probably make them cheaper/better with some tulle

Back