• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Caribbean Red sauce

Howdy all,

I am growing some caribbean reds this summer so i did some looking around and found this recipe.

Habanero Pepper Sauce
12 caribbean red habanero peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are

soft. Place the mixture and raw peppers into a blender and purée until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for

5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

Seems like a pretty basic, tasty recipe. I will say though that I never use oil in my sauces and that I don't usually hold the peppers off until the end. I've always felt that cooking all the ingredients of the sauce together for a long time gives a smoother consistency. It also seems to give all the flavors some time to blend. Give it a go though and post some pics!

The peppers need to go in with the carrots, onion and garlic. Cook it all, then hit it with either a blender, food processor or boat motor. It will bring out more flavor of the chiles and also sterilize the product. Otherwise that recipe is a good all around start. Cook it up!

Seems like a pretty basic, tasty recipe. I will say though that I never use oil in my sauces and that I don't usually hold the peppers off until the end. I've always felt that cooking all the ingredients of the sauce together for a long time gives a smoother consistency. It also seems to give all the flavors some time to blend. Give it a go though and post some pics!

Howdy Greg, i think i might omit the oil as well and simmer a bit longer than 5 min. :cheers:

The peppers need to go in with the carrots, onion and garlic. Cook it all, then hit it with either a blender, food processor or boat motor. It will bring out more flavor of the chiles and also sterilize the product. Otherwise that recipe is a good all around start. Cook it up!

Howdy Tex, i was thinkin the same cook it all then blend it up, what kind onion you think go best red yellow or white? :cheers:

So i got to make my first sauce turned out wonderfull full of flavor and super nice heat

IMG_1107.jpg

ingredients
12 red habs whole stemmed
2/3 cup onion chopped
2/3 cup carrot peeled chopped
5 cloves garlic pan roasted
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp honey(a drip or 2 from the bear)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup water
2 Tbs fresh squeesed lemon juice

how i made it

1. onion, carrot, whole habs, vinegar, water, lemon juice, honey in to a saucepan lid half on low simmer 20 min till everything soft and yummy stiring ocasionally

2. pour into blender add roasted garlic cloves, salt, sugar blend well a few minutes

3.pour all back into saucepan simmer 10 more mins

4.pour back into blender puree a few more mins

5.dip glass bottle in boiling water a few mins

6.pour from blender to bottle, cap it and put in fridge

7.put it on everything!!

That's kind of what I was thinking, use fresh Hawaiian ingredients! Maybe Lilikoi or Guava! I'm gonna give it some thought and as soon as I can get my hands on some good pods I'm gonna start expeimenting. :dance:

So i got to make my first sauce turned out wonderfull full of flavor and super nice heat

IMG_1107.jpg

ingredients
12 red habs whole stemmed
2/3 cup onion chopped
2/3 cup carrot peeled chopped
5 cloves garlic pan roasted
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp honey(a drip or 2 from the bear)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup water
2 Tbs fresh squeesed lemon juice

how i made it

1. onion, carrot, whole habs, vinegar, water, lemon juice, honey in to a saucepan lid half on low simmer 20 min till everything soft and yummy stiring ocasionally

2. pour into blender add roasted garlic cloves, salt, sugar blend well a few minutes

3.pour all back into saucepan simmer 10 more mins

4.pour back into blender puree a few more mins

5.dip glass bottle in boiling water a few mins

6.pour from blender to bottle, cap it and put in fridge

7.put it on everything!!

im down with this.. gonna try it with datils

Back