• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

3 zone chili

I am working on a chili and it brought up my ancient question:

has anyone drawn a map of which zones get activated by which chiles?

for example:
  • lips, tip of tongue
  • middle of tongue
  • back of tongue and throat

Barbara

i've never seen any map of the tongue other than the common ones that show what areas detect certain things..ie sweet, sour, etc.

when i make chili i like my whole mouth to burn. :D

and welcome to the site!

I've never seen a map, but you can research front heat and back heat, etc. I don't really think you need a map.

it does depend on the chile. I read an article recently that suggests for an all-round hot sauce, try mixing pods from different species to hit more of the areas in the mouth - annuums giving more of a lip/tip of the tongue heat, pubescens the side of the tongue (let me point out that I have never eaten a cap. pubescens), habs all over heat. the difference apparently is the amount and combination of the various capsaicinoids (of which there are eight).

I think a more useful list might be (at least to me) like Jalapeno's instant bite as opposed to habanero which creeps up on me after a minute. Anyone know what I am talking about?

cheezydemon said:
I think a more useful list might be (at least to me) like Jalapeno's instant bite as opposed to habanero which creeps up on me after a minute. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Oh I definately know what you are talking about. That is why habs make for the best pranks. By the time someone notices you spiked their food with fire it is already swallowed or definately swished around their mouth enough that it is too late. Man I love it!!

I always use a mix thinking the same as you that usually goes like Cherry peppers, Jalpenos, Serranos and Habs ... thats for the hot end of it rest is flavor ie Green bell and Red bell Orange etc...

Back