•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Interview with Butch Taylor

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 hot stuff

hot stuff

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

http://www.chilipepp...t-chili-pepper/

I had thought that the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T was a pure Trinidad Scorpion. You learn something new every day.

DON'T TOUCH ME UNLESS YOU'VE BEEN WEARING GLOVES!
GEAUX SAINTS! GEAUX LSU!

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Brian2112

Brian2112

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

Nice!

#3 mmcdermott1

mmcdermott1

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Good article..wonder what that other mystery pepper is.

BuckeyePepper.com , Family Owned and Family Grown.

#4 POTAWIE

POTAWIE

On Fire!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,912 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

Amazing how fast this hybrid became stabalized. I always thought it was a true scorpion that just grew a little different and hotter than the norm
Check out my pepper pics and more on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/potawie

#5 dvg

dvg

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

This chili pepper is the possible cross between a Trinidad Scorpion and as as-yet-named chili pepper that Butch is holding close to his chest in hopes of creating even hotter peppers in the future.

Hybrid???...the plot thickens.... :cool: :lol: :rofl:

dvg

Edited by dvg, 28 April 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#6 madhatter

madhatter

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Amazing how fast this hybrid became stabalized. I always thought it was a true scorpion that just grew a little different and hotter than the norm

+1. so did I. Thought it was from Trinidad scorpion seeds he acquired a few years ago. If it is a cross it turned out to be one hell of a pepper.

Edited by madhatter, 28 April 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#7 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 14,196 posts
  • aka:Fathead

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

Noice!

#8 Tigahb8

Tigahb8

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Just read the interview, Michael wrote it based on info I gave him over the phone and the internet, in either case the
Trinidad Scorpion, even though it might be a hybrid, is a natural hybrid, I'm not rubbing blossoms together trying to create
a super pepper, I do however, like to let them introduce themselves to each other in the garden and I pay close attention
to the next years crop and the relative location of the plants in relationship to each other. The 1st year I grew the Trinidad
Scorpion there was only 1 pepper I had growing that, imo, could cause the pepper to gain more heat, & it was the scorpions closest neighbor! Most of the seeds I handed out were from second year pods, which would make it a F2 and it has been grown
out numerous times since then, if you count Oz's crops along with the US crop, it's possible that 10 generations have been
grown since the first seed give away.

#9 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thats the way i like to "cross" peppers too, just let them do their thing! :P

#10 Tigahb8

Tigahb8

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

I think all the "worlds hottest" came about that way, except for a few claims to the contrary.

#11 Pepper Ridge Farm

Pepper Ridge Farm

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just read the interview, Michael wrote it based on info I gave him over the phone and the internet, in either case the
Trinidad Scorpion, even though it might be a hybrid, is a natural hybrid, I'm not rubbing blossoms together trying to create
a super pepper, I do however, like to let them introduce themselves to each other in the garden and I pay close attention
to the next years crop and the relative location of the plants in relationship to each other. The 1st year I grew the Trinidad
Scorpion there was only 1 pepper I had growing that, imo, could cause the pepper to gain more heat, & it was the scorpions closest neighbor! Most of the seeds I handed out were from second year pods, which would make it a F2 and it has been grown
out numerous times since then, if you count Oz's crops along with the US crop, it's possible that 10 generations have been
grown since the first seed give away.

Butch, if you say that your pepper is now a hybrid and the other pepper wasn't in fact another Scorpion but something hotter shouldn't we know the other parent? May we assume the other pepper was a Jonah 7 Pod/Pot you grew and was crossed with the T. Scorpion to make this hybrid? Really anything other than a Scorpion would be misleading in the name ButchT Scorpion, people need to know these facts. Not contesting the awesome super pepper just the taxonomy. Thanks.
BrAiN sTrAiN 7 Pod
"I'm not really sweating, it's just pouring out of my eyes"

#12 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

Dont tell us Butch, i want to see PRF squirm. :rofl:

Jk prf :D

#13 JoeyK

JoeyK

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

Yeah would be cool to know what the mystery partner plant is.

Two shrimps is only enough to piss me off.Looks good, though!

#14 fubarhouse

fubarhouse

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

so butch, does this mean you have another brand new superhot variety nobody has heard of? ;)
Check out my profile for my grow list & blog (full of photos and videos)!

#15 Tigahb8

Tigahb8

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

I never said it was a hybrid, but there was a good chance that there may have been a "hippy in the woodpile". I grew
these plants OP and there was other peppers there, and yes there was one that was pushing a million (imo) the first year
I grew it, it was highly unstable tho. I tried natural selection to get larger pods, but I lost a lot of the heat in the process. I'm thinking about restarting my experiment with this pepper. I still have seeds stored in my X file. There was
no Naga's, No Bhuts, No 7 pots in my garden that year, there was white bullet habs, Beths giant yellow hab, chocolate habs,
and about 20 Grin database peppers, most of which were so so, and of course the Trinidad Scorpion along with 20 or so other mundane types. There has been a dicussion about this pepper on this forum, of course the ones that are out there now are
no where near as hot or flavorful as those first ones I grew, I think I posted something about having over 1500 pods on the
plant at one time. Need more hints or do ya just want me to tell you? Anyway I'll check back later, we're "fixing" to load up
and head back to the farm.

#16 one_mad_dog

one_mad_dog

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Nice article and I am watching closely Butch's progress towards a 2 000 000 Pepper.

#17 madhatter

madhatter

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

Butch, Im just going to take a shot in the dark here but could the "mystery" pepper be a carib red or savina? Oh well you might have to tell us :)

Edited by madhatter, 29 April 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#18 ChilliNZ

ChilliNZ

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

Butch, if you say that your pepper is now a hybrid and the other pepper wasn't in fact another Scorpion but something hotter shouldn't we know the other parent? May we assume the other pepper was a Jonah 7 Pod/Pot you grew and was crossed with the T. Scorpion to make this hybrid? Really anything other than a Scorpion would be misleading in the name ButchT Scorpion, people need to know these facts. Not contesting the awesome super pepper just the taxonomy. Thanks.

It's more just naming things - it's not taxonomy :P

#19 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

Butch, Im just going to take a shot in the dark here but could the "mystery" pepper be a carib red or savina? Oh well you might have to tell us :)

My guess would be using the 1500 pods per plant info. The silver bullet if you may...

#20 ChicosAStar

ChicosAStar

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

Alright, so I ran a search for "1500", and look what popped up.

I had a relative to the Cumari, the Cumari ou Passarino , which had over 1500 pods on it at one time, growing out of a 5 gallon pot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests