Weekend smoke

Smoked a 9lb pork shoulder saturday for 11 hrs over hickory with a spicey dryrub I let sit for 2 days. Misted it with apple cider through the entire somking process. The next dat I put it in the oven on 200 for 5 hrs then pulled it. Unbelievable. Usually I serve right from the smoker to prevent an uprising by my guests. An array of BBQ sauces to follow of course and plenty of...
BEEEEER!​

Yep. from a spray bottle. Apple juice works well too. It's not as sugary so it doesn't carmalize like straight cider will. I cut it to 1 part water to 2 parts cider. Sometimes if I have enough or not enough left I just add to my water pan.

I just use a small mop... or brush. My mop is usually beer,water,cider vinegar,oil,Worcestershire and about a TBS or two of my rub. Not conducive for spray bottles however you can spray with whatever you want even Dr.Pepper Coke and Ginger Ale are good.

Its just good stuff period

LUCKYDOG said:
I just use a small mop... or brush. My mop is usually beer,water,cider vinegar,oil,Worcestershire and about a TBS or two of my rub. Not conducive for spray bottles however you can spray with whatever you want even Dr.Pepper Coke and Ginger Ale are good.

What type of smoker do you use? I have a water smoker that I beat pretty good in the summer months.

I have a Char-Griller Smokin Pro with the Side fire box -- works great for me and a few of my friends bought the same one after they saw it. I think my wife bought it at Lowes

LUCKYDOG said:

I have gone entirely to a spray bottle. I have sometimes strained it to make it easier on the bottle, but I have become paranoid that the mop disturbs the crust too much! Maybe silly, I don't know.

cheezydemon said:
I have gone entirely to a spray bottle. I have sometimes strained it to make it easier on the bottle, but I have become paranoid that the mop disturbs the crust too much! Maybe silly, I don't know.

You might actually be on to something there with the crust part.

The crust shouldnt fall because of the brush or mop -- its not like painting a house -- unless you use a lot of sugar in your rub? I will use a yellow mustard (French's) and brush a thin layer on before putting my rub on and let it sit for a while and depending on my mood I put more rub on before I put it in the smoker.

Back