• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Underrated Guitarists

Been a lot of good guitar players but the real talented ones never quite got the fame they deserved.
Danny Gatton could play just about anything. Anyone ever see him play ?

Never saw Gatton. Suicide takes away another great musician. No explanation has yet to be found still, right?

Underrated hmmm...? Maybe uh.. This is hard. I can only think of over rated ones. I guess as funny as it may sound that SRV may be. He is even greater than the legend he is considered.

I wouldn't say under rated but since he's not mainstream I'm sure he doesn't get the recognition as he should. Lincoln Brewster. He used to play with Journey back in the day. Man that guy can shred!

Preston Reed...
I've followed this guy for over 25 years....he just keeps getting better and better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn369TSZ4QY&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXd3KAL0kuPRux9JRSNxhAiI

I'm not sure if these all can b classified as 'underrated', but...

Robert Fripp!
Devin Townsend
Andy McKee (YouTube sensation "drifting")

Robert Fripp!
Devin Townsend
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (despite the fact he's a wanker!)
...being a Preston Reed fan makes its pretty easy to really like Andy Mckee.
I read an interview where he said that previously he was a heavy metal guitarist until he first saw Preston live.....and was so influenced, that went acoustic with a similar style.

...being a Preston Reed fan makes its pretty easy to really like Andy Mckee.
I read an interview where he said that previously he was a heavy metal guitarist until he first saw Preston live.....and was so influenced, that went acoustic with a similar style.

Preston is truly great. Doesn't surprise me that Andy was a 'metal guy', he has that look about him.
I love the percussive playing.

As a Bass player I like following the solo bass shows. When ever bass players are discussed there are a few mentioned as greats like Jaco Pastorius or Flea but I think 2 of the underated greats currently are Victor Wooten and Jeff Schmidt. Maybe Victor Wooten to a lesser degree as besides playing with Bella Fleck and the Flecktones he's also played for Dave Matthews alot too. Jeff Schmidt's Jazz influence really shines through in his solo work and he can make a 6 string bass sound as beautiful as any classical guitar.

I wouldn't say under rated but since he's not mainstream I'm sure he doesn't get the recognition as he should. Lincoln Brewster. He used to play with Journey back in the day. Man that guy can shred!

As far as I know he never played with Journey, maybe on a Steve Perry solo project. Journey is Neal Schon's project from day one.

As a Bass player I like following the solo bass shows. When ever bass players are discussed there are a few mentioned as greats like Jaco Pastorius or Flea but I think 2 of the underated greats currently are Victor Wooten and Jeff Schmidt. Maybe Victor Wooten to a lesser degree as besides playing with Bella Fleck and the Flecktones he's also played for Dave Matthews alot too. Jeff Schmidt's Jazz influence really shines through in his solo work and he can make a 6 string bass sound as beautiful as any classical guitar.

Also checkout Alain Caron, Jeff Andrews.

As far as I know he never played with Journey, maybe on a Steve Perry solo project. Journey is Neal Schon's project from day one.

Yes. This is correct. It was for one of Steve Perry's solo projects, "For the love of strange medicine." Now don't I look stupid. ;)

Robert Fripp!
Devin Townsend
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (despite the fact he's a wanker!)
Interesting you put Devin Townsend on there. I haven't listened to too much of his other projects, but he is pretty talented listening to S.Y.L.. Some of my faves whom I think deserve more recognition for their work are Lars Johannson(Candlemass), Wolf Hoffman(Accept), Gus G.(Firewind, Ozzy), And right now I'm really digging Olavi Mikkonen & Johan Soderbergs' work with Amon Amarth. Hail Viking Metal!!!

Back