• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first Jolokia, budding?

G'day Everyone,

This is my first time growing Bhut Jolokia actually any chilli for that matter, I am used to growing other herbs :lol: but discovered HOT chilli
a few months back and can't get enough of the hot stuff! I am addicted, I need atleast one serving a day.

Anyway I have posted a couple of pics of my first attempt at the Bhuts, the first photo is of 3 bhuts about 15 weeks old
except the center plant is 13 weeks, I decided to grow them in 250mm(10in) pots as I don't really have much garden space,
and this way I can follow the sun around!
I started them in peat pots with seed raisingmix and they really didn't do much until I hit them with a nitrogen boost, they seem to be
slow growers as I expected them to be much taller at this stage?

jolokia_3pots.jpg

The next photo is of what I am hoping is the beginning of the flowers! Yeha...
I have circled the area where I think the buds are but you have to look closely as my little camera can't focus any better, what do you think?

jolokia_buds.jpg

Seen in this last photo is a local who visits my plants with hoards of his friends daily,
I have never seen this type of fly before but they seem to like my chilli plants although they don't seem to be doing any damage.

jolokia_fly.jpg

Any feedback on how you think my plants are progressing would be appreciated,
and if they are the buds appearing do I need to boost the potassium etc...

Thanks...

:welcome: Welcome from W.A

The plants are looking very nice and yes they are flower buds. :) Only problem is we are coming to the end of the season so it isn't really the right time for them to be fruiting (unless it is always warm where you are, which I think is the case with QLD?,, Haven't been there before and don't keep an eye on the weather for over there.). Anyway if you overwinter them and keep them warm and protected you will have a great headstart on next season.

:welcome: Welcome from W.A

The plants are looking very nice and yes they are flower buds. :) Only problem is we are coming to the end of the season so it isn't really the right time for them to be fruiting (unless it is always warm where you are, which I think is the case with QLD?,, Haven't been there before and don't keep an eye on the weather for over there.). Anyway if you overwinter them and keep them warm and protected you will have a great headstart on next season.

Hey thanks for the comments, yeah it is probably the wrong time for fruitng although the weather is still fairly good
here on average 25°C during the day and 15°-17°C at night, but I move them indoors overnight anyway so they really
don't get too much colder weather. What is the average time from flowering to a ripe chilli?

Cheers!

For a Bhut and other C.chinenses they take about 120days to fruit from transplant. If they are keeping warm at night (you don't want it to drop lower than 15 degrees) then you may be in luck :)
i haven't really timed the exact time from flower to fruit and grow too many to take too much notice but prob about a month or just over, others on here might be able to be more specific.

For a Bhut and other C.chinenses they take about 120days to fruit from transplant. If they are keeping warm at night (you don't want it to drop lower than 15 degrees) then you may be in luck :)

Thanks, I am just so impatient, I want them now :),
what about feeding when budding, obviously I should reduce the nitro and increase potassium, is this correct?

Good luck with your plants. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here that will be able to help you out with any questions you have. I learn something new everytime.
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes Smokey Jolokia is my favourite sauce with a good kick of heat from the Bhuts. I'm sure you will enjoy :)

How much time do you have before first frost?

I would need about 10 to 15 weeks more to get them to a true adult size. For me that would be somewhere around 2.5 ft to 3 ft in height with a ¾" plus diameter stock and body to fill a 3 ft dia circle. I was able to harvest 100 pods per plant from my Bhuts last season.

Your Bhuts look really good…just need more time to grow them out. Anything you could harvest this season would be inspiration for next season. You need to start earlier, that's all.

Yes I usually pluck the flowers off when the plants are still that small to allow for more growth first, but I know you were desperate for fruit now so didn't suggest it so you could get at least one fruit before winter :)

How much time do you have before first frost?

We're about to start our last month of autumn, frost won't be a problem where I am, sub-tropical climate,
the coldest night in winter is probably no less than 10C and the coldest day would be no less than
15C, I move them indoors at night so they are well sheltered. I know I planted them way too late at the
end of summer instead of beginning of spring and don't expect a great yield first time around, but it is
still exciting to see the first buds, thanks to all for your feedback!

:beer:

I have never seen this type of fly before but they seem to like my chilli plants although they don't seem to be doing any damage

it won't do any damage to any of your pepper plants yet. i have a sinking feeling that those are the same flies that have been laying eggs in my pods and making them prematurely ripen and eating them from the inside out.

i suggest killing them. i think their maggots are known here as pepper maggots.

G'day mate, :welcome: from another Queenslander! Where abouts are ya?

Looks like you are off to a great start! It's just a shame that we are at the end of our season. :(

One thing though, while I have found that most Annuums do OK in the 25cm pots, Chinenses like a bit of extra leg room and do much better in at least a 30cm pot.

Mmmm, smokey jolokia.
No doubt MMMM!

Yeah those super hots are slowish growers, but then they give and keep on giving. I'm a NOOB but I reckon you'll go ok up dere in the Queenslands. Only a couple of months and you can start some seeds for the new season too. :dance:

Yes I usually pluck the flowers off when the plants are still that small to allow for more growth first, but I know you were desperate for fruit now so didn't suggest it so you could get at least one fruit before winter :)
Yeah I guess this is the right thing to do at this stage, I will pluck all but one plant so I've got some fruit soon but an even better crop later!

it won't do any damage to any of your pepper plants yet. i have a sinking feeling that those are the same flies that have been laying eggs in my pods and making them prematurely ripen and eating them from the inside out.

i suggest killing them. i think their maggots are known here as pepper maggots.
I checked it out it is a Dolichopodid fly common in S.E QLD region, they feed on smaller soft body insects such as aphids and other insects larvae. BONUS!

G'day mate, :welcome: from another Queenslander! Where abouts are ya?

Looks like you are off to a great start! It's just a shame that we are at the end of our season. :(

One thing though, while I have found that most Annuums do OK in the 25cm pots, Chinenses like a bit of extra leg room and do much better in at least a 30cm pot.

Hey there, from Beenleigh area, between Brizzy and Gold Coast. I''ll definately re-pot before they get too large, thanks!

Once again thanks to all for your advice.

Cheers :beer:

I''ll definately re-pot before they get too large, thanks!
Ah, Beenleigh.... I used to live kinda out that way in Logan but at the moment I am pretty much next door to the city.

An alternative to potting up is to just whack your pots on top of some nice fertile ground and let them grow their roots out of the bottom of the pot and into the ground. It's not only a great way to save money on pots and potting mix (smaller pots are cheaper and you use less potting mix) but it's also a great space saver too. Of course, if one is planting in pots for the reason of being able to move them, it pretty much defeats the purpose. :lol:

Believe it or not, my second biggest and second most productive plant this season is only growing in a 20cm pot. :D (My first biggest is actually in a 30cm pot but it is still rooting out the bottom)

Ah, Beenleigh.... I used to live kinda out that way in Logan but at the moment I am pretty much next door to the city.

An alternative to potting up is to just whack your pots on top of some nice fertile ground and let them grow their roots out of the bottom of the pot and into the ground. It's not only a great way to save money on pots and potting mix (smaller pots are cheaper and you use less potting mix) but it's also a great space saver too. Of course, if one is planting in pots for the reason of being able to move them, it pretty much defeats the purpose. :lol:

Believe it or not, my second biggest and second most productive plant this season is only growing in a 20cm pot. :D (My first biggest is actually in a 30cm pot but it is still rooting out the bottom)

Yeah I like em in pots so I can chase the sun around during the day and bring them in at night, I also have a LED light setup indoors for rainy days!
Hey I have no clue what the kids are up to but I know what my chillis are doing, you've just got to have your priorities set right you know :lol:

anyway going to watch the footy now see if the Sun can win another!

Mmmm, smokey jolokia.
No doubt MMMM!
Thanks guys :)

Yeah I guess this is the right thing to do at this stage, I will pluck all but one plant so I've got some fruit soon but an even better crop later!

I checked it out it is a Dolichopodid fly common in S.E QLD region, they feed on smaller soft body insects such as aphids and other insects larvae. BONUS!
thats great, I hate aphids!!! :hell:

Back