• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Brag

518.5 grams or 1.14309 pounds

mater3566a.jpg

It's a Brandy Boy, and I've been sweating its ripening. I just knew some stupid squirrel would take a bite! I don't usually grow hybrids; but I love Brandywine tomatoes, and they don't like the heat down here so much. So, I thought I'd try the Brandy Boy.

Pam said:
518.5 grams or 1.14309 pounds...

Congrats! Looks tasty. I know what you mean about the squirrels. They wait until the day before my strawberries are fully ripe to have a feast.

Pam, I thought the name of that tomato sounded familiar I too am growing those I got them from Burpee Seeds. (I had to go and check the garden this morning to see) are all of the Brandy Boy tomato's large or is that an exception. I have never had any luck growing large toms so this year i planted 7 different types. Can't wait to see some of those baby's on the vine! What are you fertilizing your tomato plants with?

Dale

Its almost the size of a brain!

Is that a Fart book ? :rolleyes:

I'll be happy if anything around here starts to bloom.... Great job Pam

Is that a Fart book ?

Sickmont said:
I thought the same thing when i first saw the pic.

Tsk! You guys!

It's "Farthing" by Jo Walton, not "Farting"; it's a science fiction book. There are, however, some fart jokes and a screamingly hilarious small arms inspection in "Rommel: Gunner Who? A Confrontation in the Desert?" by Spike Milligan, which is below it.

Nice job on the 'mater, Pam!

Thank you!

thepodpiper said:
Pam, I thought the name of that tomato sounded familiar I too am growing those I got them from Burpee Seeds. (I had to go and check the garden this morning to see) are all of the Brandy Boy tomato's large or is that an exception.

There's a second one on the same plant that's really huge, too. The others so far have been nice sized but not huge.

I have never had any luck growing large toms so this year i planted 7 different types. Can't wait to see some of those baby's on the vine! What are you fertilizing your tomato plants with?

Dale

Tomato-Tone by Espoma. I swear by the stuff for peppers and tomatoes.

http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?type=p&intCategoryID=4&id=23

Ok, taste.

It had good tomato flavor, but it wasn't as sweet as a Brandywine. I'm wondering if because it was so large it ripened more at the outside, because that's where the sweetness was. I'll have to compare one of the large ones with one of the small ones.

Hey Pam,

My early season tomato plantss have been getting tomatoes for over a month. Some the size of baseballs but none of them are ripening. The big ones don't appear to be getting any bigger but they stay green. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

It has been a cool season 70's to low 80's during the day. Plants are facing SouthEast. I think the soil was MiracleGrow. I haven't fertilized them cause I thought that would already be in the commercial soil. Bought them as plants and planted them around the first week of May.

Is it just too early in the season for them to be ripe yet?

RedThumb said:
Hey Pam,

My early season tomato plantss have been getting tomatoes for over a month. Some the size of baseballs but none of them are ripening. The big ones don't appear to be getting any bigger but they stay green. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

I think this is one of those "patience is a virtue" moments. I have some plants that have had green tomatoes for what seems like forever, and they're just now starting to turn.

I have an Amelia tomato that I didn't get staked properly, and it has this knot of about 8 baseball-sized green tomatoes. I've been agonizing over restaking it because I'm afraid I'll knock some of those tomatoes off the vine. And those dang tomatoes are, of course, taking their sweet-ass time getting ripe. I hover over them, willing them to get ripe, but it's not working!

It has been a cool season 70's to low 80's during the day. Plants are facing SouthEast. I think the soil was MiracleGrow. I haven't fertilized them cause I thought that would already be in the commercial soil. Bought them as plants and planted them around the first week of May.

Is it just too early in the season for them to be ripe yet?

Fertilizing really shouldn't effect ripening once the tomatoes are that size. I think you're just going to have to join me in hovering and willing tomatoes to get ripe.

I have noticed in more than one gardening forum that there are a lot of people complaining plants growing slowly this year. I think most of us had a very cool spring, and that the soil didn't really warm up until late. I took my soil temps at one point, and it was 60F about 6 inches down, but then we had a couple of weeks of cool rain, and that very late freeze, and the soil temperature had dropped again. So, I think this is just a slow season.

Back