smokers Gonna do a minor mod on my offset smoker....

I purchased a cheap Brinkmann offset smoker a couple of years back because my $35 tower smoker didn't hold enough meat for big cookouts. Anyways, of course the thing keeps temperature terribly and the thermometer is off by about 20-30 degrees, depending on the actual temp, not to mention the front by the hotbox vent is much hotter than the rest of the cooking chamber because it has no offset. As a result, I end up having to add coals constantly AND mess with the vents, takes way too long to cook and keeping a constant or steady temperature at 250 for ribs is about impossible.

Anyways, I am planning on adding a line bricks, two across, on the bottom of the cooking chamber to help hold a better heat. Not sure if taking the time to drill a heat shield by the vent is worth the time, effort and money on a sub $200 offset smoker. I am also going to add new thermometers, hopefully digital, to the front and back of the cooking chamber. Gonna try it out this Friday, I'll report back.

Hey there. Do you have a pic? I'd like to see the position of the smokestack, etc.

Moved to correct forum.

Moved to correct forum.

My bad, thought I posted in the right forum.

The smoker stack is unfortunately at the top. Here is a link to the POS - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U9NZ1O/ref=asc_df_B003U9NZ1O1531173?smid=ADG953YR6NRBF&tag=nextagusmp0395419-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B003U9NZ1O

Okay cool. Well that position is not too bad. What you have to do it take a measurement of the pipe diameter and continue that stack on the inside down to grate level. What this does is draw the smoke across the grate (and all the meat) for an even smoke, instead of the smoke "hanging out" at the top and escaping. The same for the heat. Your left side will no longer be hotter. Get the temp you want, and it will be an even flow. That is mod #1 you need to do.

Too bad because thats not exactly cheap - you can try attaching a deflector at the vent side to the firebox or laying some steel against the hole on an angle -

Okay cool. Well that position is not too bad. What you have to do it take a measurement of the pipe diameter and continue that stack on the inside down to grate level. What this does is draw the smoke across the grate (and all the meat) for an even smoke, instead of the smoke "hanging out" at the top and escaping. The same for the heat. Your left side will no longer be hotter. Get the temp you want, and it will be an even flow. That is mod #1 you need to do.

Didn't think of that, only thing I had thought of was sealing the original smoke stack vent and putting a new one half way up. Great idea I'll consider that.

Too bad because thats not exactly cheap - you can try attaching a deflector at the vent side to the firebox or laying some steel against the hole on an angle -

I was kind of shocked to see that price on Amazon. When I got mine at Wal Mart it was on sale for $150. Still not cheap but a fraction you'd pay for a nice, professional style off set smoker. I thought bout trying the deflector thing, I think I might just put some aluminum foil as a shield and see how that works with the other mods together. I know it won't be perfect and heat inefficient, but if I can adjust the smoke stack depth then hopefully I can get a lower draw of the heat.

There are dampers in the stack and on the firebox correct? oncethe fire is going start closing them down ...

There are dampers in the stack and on the firebox correct? oncethe fire is going start closing them down ...

Right. Problem is though that because the steel of the unit is so thin that within an hour the temperature starts dropping fast, so I have to check on the damn thing constantly and go through way too many coals (which also adds way too much unwanted smoke). That's why I am adding the bricks, take longer to heat up, but will hold a more steady temp.

Got ya instead of bricks you can use sand - which makes it easier to balance your drip tray and cleanup - should be able to close the Damper in the flue to regulate the heat or on the firebox - do you a lot of gaps or something not aligned correctly? Mine isnt very thick either and I am able to hold any temp for hours - you can also heat spare coals in a chimney sow there isnt any additional smoke from the coals

You need to seal it up to. Do you see smoke coming from any joints?
Product: http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=7&SubcatID=2
Retail $3

Also you could lay a fiberglass welding blanket on top to insulate it.
Retail, $7

$10 investment will definitely show results.

I almost gone one of those a few years ago until I found my current offset for $400 used. The biggest problem I found with most of those lower end smokers is the fact that the steel is to thin.

Not sure what thickness the steel is, but I know the one I looked at was about half of what my current smoker is at 14 gauge. Even if you are to get it completely air tight not sure how efficient it will cook especially if you plan on smoking larger cuts of meat for 10+ hours.

I have the exact same pit, the first mod I did was to seal the door on the front and sides with 1" angle iron cut to fit and screwed in place, I always use a large aluminum roaster pan (filled with water or apple juice) placed at the firebox entrance to the smoke chamber, AND I use a top burn method on my fire, once stabilized the temp will stay constant for 6-8 hrs. without any adjusting. To "top burn" layer your charcoal and wood in the fire box, or just use straight charcoal for a longer burn, don't be shy load it up! Then start a small amount of charcoal separate from the fire box & once it is covered with ash dump it on top of the other charcoal, close the lid, place meat in smoke area, sit back and drink the beverage of your choice, wait for temps to come up, adjust vents and monitor temp till it gets to the temp you want and stays there. Take a nap. lol One other thing is to invest in a good thermometer, I use one in the pit and 3 remotes in the meat.

To "top burn" layer your charcoal and wood in the fire box, or just use straight charcoal for a longer burn, don't be shy load it up! Then start a small amount of charcoal separate from the fire box & once it is covered with ash dump it on top of the other charcoal, close the lid, place meat in smoke area, sit back and drink the beverage of your choice, wait for temps to come up, adjust vents and monitor temp till it gets to the temp you want and stays there. Take a nap. lol
southernfried, for further info look up minion method.

Back