• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Upside down peppers

Not peppers but I have a micro-Tom tomatoe growing in a "Topsey Turvey" gizmo. Not really my kind of thing but some like it, and it helps with airflow and keeping things away from the ground.

POTAWIE said:
Not peppers but I have a micro-Tom tomatoe growing in a "Topsey Turvey" gizmo. Not really my kind of thing but some like it, and it helps with airflow and keeping things away from the ground.

That's what I was looking at the Topsy Turvy thing.
How does it work? when you water it does the excess water drip down on the stem? That would be bad for diseases.

Its a little difficult to judge how much to water. If you water too much then it will drip down into the plant. I'll try to get a pic but my plant really looks bad, but some ripe tomatoes.

i did some tomatoes upside down last year. when i watered, water would come out the bottom and run down the plant but i didnt see anything wrong with it. the only ill effects from it (in my eyes) was the pot couldnt hold enough water for the hot summer days so the plant didnt do that great.... but it worked. would be interesting to try a pepper plant.
i would try white buller hab, from what i have grown and the way it grows.

Michael

I was thinking like Donnie and try it with a pubescens or something.
But from what I read does not look like it works very well...
Come on POTAWIE kill that punie Micro Tom and plug in a roccoto :(
Curious minds want to know....

Its difficult to transfer anything big into it. I even broke my microtom a little. You need to start with small plugs/pots which I no longer have any of.

habman said:
Curious minds want to know....
I want to know.

Ok guys, I did it for you all. Hope I'm not wasting a good plant here. No pubescens this year but I had a small white ammo.

640673842a68a81ac22xc9.jpg

White Ammo very recently repotted.

POTAWIE said:
I want to know.

Ok guys, I did it for you all. Hope I'm not wasting a good plant here. No pubescens this year but I had a small white ammo.

White Ammo very recently repotted.

Cool you da man Potawie!
I didn't think you were going to do it but it's gonna be fun watching that pepper grow.
You better post some pics from time to time ;)

thepodpiper said:
What is the purpose of growing upside down or is it just a novelty thing?

Dale

It's mostly used for tomatoes that always need some type of support.
Advantage :
ELIMINATES all stakes and cages
ELIMINATE tomato ties, Cloth strips, lost time, etc.
NO MORE ground fungus
NO MORE ground insects, Cutworms & other pests
NO MORE nematodes
Easy to pick fruits

habman said:
It's mostly used for tomatoes that always need some type of support.
Advantage :
ELIMINATES all stakes and cages
ELIMINATE tomato ties, Cloth strips, lost time, etc.
NO MORE ground fungus
NO MORE ground insects, Cutworms & other pests
NO MORE nematodes
Easy to pick fruits

And no more squirrels swiping the fruit!

I agree Pam. Squirrels...er...TREE RATS...around here hang upside down after climbing down ropes to get the sunflower seeds from by bird feeder. I have a feeling they would see that thing as a flashy new toy.

Back