• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Firecracker Prawns

I found this recipe a few years ago and must admit it is one of my family favourites, it is a very basic and easy recipe with few ingredients but is sure to please everyone!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Makes 12

Ingredients:

12 large FRESH tiger prawns or similar
1 Tablespoon sambal oelek chilli paste or your favourite HOT chilli sauce
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon soy sauce
12 wonton wrappers
water for sealing
peanut or vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

Peel and devein the prawns but leave the tails attached.
Make two small cuts on the underbelly of the prawn (do not cut through) so that you can straighten the prawn out. This helps prevent the prawns from curling up completely while cooking. Pat dry and set aside.

In a bowl combine chilli paste, ginger and soy sauce. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the prawns with the mixture cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Place one wonton wrapper on a flat work surface. Place one prawn on a wrapper with the tail hanging off the edge. Dip your finger in water and run it along the edges of the wrapper. Next, roll the prawn tightly in the wrapper. Set aside. Repeat until all prawns are wrapped.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once oil starts to simmer, drop in a tiny piece of a wonton wrapper. If it starts sizzling the oil is ready.
Cook the prawns 4-5 minutes or until the wrappers are golden brown and the prawn tails are pink. Depending on the size of your pan you may need to do this in batches. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the prawns to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.

Serve with a quick dipping sauce using 3 parts soy sauce, 2 parts rice vinegar and a little garlic powder and enjoy!

P.S. Trust me when I tell you to try a couple before you pass them out, it’s the only way you’ll get any.

Edited to add image.

nice looking prawns you got there Ali. :) making me hungry now...:)~~~

if you get the prawns fresh.. :) use a high heat fryer so that the prawns can be taken out quickly. Prawns don't need to be fried long to get cooked. then you will get it juicy and sweet :)

Back