• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

I would think so, they have very similar flavor. Let me know what you think if you try it!
Use a clear jar to make it. It presents very colorful.
Most people don't eat the peppers in it. They use the vinegar and eat the other stuff and replenish whenever necessary.

Here's some picklese FD and I made a week or two ago. We built them in layers, but give the jar a couple quick shake'n'twists of the wrist and it mixes up well. Sho' is gewd!

IMG_3694.jpg

hmm.... interesting indeed.

I agree the peas sound odd.

also, does the heat distribute evenly throughout all the veggies?

it seems to me like it would be a good heat... then you eat one of the large scotch bonnet peices and burn your tounge off. lol
maybe I just can't handle the heat like some.

The peas are just smooshy spice bundles. They balance out the crunch of everything else. Really they just add color, but don't leave them out. They're good. Trust!

Thinking about experimenting with other peppers too...

Someone else make a jar and share a pic. Red cabbage, red onions, garlic, etc... mix it up!

BTW, our picklese are featured in Sum's throwdown this month

Just plain-ol white vinegar.
I'm sure it would be good with other vinegars. I see it as kind of a base recipe. I plan on adding garlic and red onions to my next batch, maybe some fresh dill.

Man you just dont k iw how great the timing of this is. My daughter was in Hatti last week on a mission trip with the church and when she got back she was telling ma all about it and how we need to find a recipe for it.

just throw some in, whatever looks low. No method to it.
shake it up and keep going! I just added some red onion and garlic to mine, with additional cabbage too and some more vinegar and salt.

Back