• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero Gold Jelly

Habanero Gold is printed in the Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
It's a Canadian recipe...go figure.

Prep Time:
Cooking Time:
Servings:
Yield: 3 half pints
Heat Level (Spiciness):
Medium
Ingredients:
1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots 3/4 cup white vinegar 1/4 up finely diced red onion 1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper 1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers 3 cups granulated sugar 1 pouch Certo liquid pectin
Instructions:
Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar. Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well. Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods. Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.
Level of Difficulty:
Easy

this stuff is great .... we take a tortilla wrap spread cream cheese all over it followed by the habanero gold jelly , then roll the wrap up , chill it and then cut into bite sized finger food , just awesome !!! ( alternatively we also take the cream cheese and mix the habanero gold in together , then spread on wrap )

Ciao all-

I made 2 full cases of 125's for Duane and he's down to his last 3 jars. He likes it so much I'm not sure he can wait until the chilis are ready this year, so I may "cheat" and pick some up at Kensington Market and surprise him with more jars. I don't touch the stuff, but he gobbles it up as fast as a 5 year old with a bag of jelly beans. It's incredibly easy to make. I imagine you could substitute different dried fruits for the apricots if desired for slightly varied results. I may do that. If any of you have any habanero recipes with fresh fruits, please post them!

Back