• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Anyone like Vindaloo?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the Indian dish called
Vindaloo. It can be made with chicken,shrimp,fish,etc,etc.
I heard it packs a pretty nice heat. Can anyone tell me what peppers are in it,I heard bird's eye peppers. I was just wonder what kinnda heat level it has or can be compared 2.

I find the heat level to vary tremendously depending upon where you buy it. If you buy it in the UK it is usually pretty darn hot. In the USA all the ones I have tried have been disapointingly mild. I think they use "Kollamulaku" peppers or similar hot red Cayenne type pods.

There are lots of different recipies for it on the web.

Nice flavor but I prefer a Madras style curry with my hot chile powder added to give it some more heat.

thanks hunter...I heard the same thing that in the UK it's really spicy. I just don't want to order it and it be mild. On another note I don't want to order it " how the chef likes it" and have it comes out on fire...lol

Vindaloo is awesome! I read that the traditional (Goan) dish is not hot, it became hot in the UK. The US dish is hot. I've had it crying hot, and medium... all in one place... they told me thay had to lower the heat level because people sent it back, so I have to tell them to make it extra hot. By the way, get the lamb.

I have vindaloo all the time here in the UK, have you heard of a phall its even hotter, order one and find out

i've never had it before...not too into fish though. also, i've only had indian food once that i can recall..a few years back, and i'm not even sure what the dish was called. ;)

I like a nice hot beef vindaloo, I'm also partial to a Jungle Curry (extra hot of course)!

my brother in law and I went to a Mexican restaurant a few years back and ate a big heap of chile with our meals. at the end of the night the owner came up to us and said he had never had two customers eat so much chile in one night. we drank a number of beers while we were at it also! the next morning we weren't so impressed with our performance...

mmmm Vindaloo drooooolllll. Is it just me or does hot vindaloo & ice cold beer make the absolute perfect meal.

Heres a tip if you're making it at home from a paste...throw in a little brown malt vinegar & some brown (not raw) sugar...then you can add a few more chillies & keep the flavor.

woody said:
I have vindaloo all the time here in the UK, have you heard of a phall its even hotter, order one and find out

yeah, I heard Phall will blow ur socks off. I can't wait to try some. I'm Going for Indian food this weekend. We'll see :P

chilliman64 said:
I like a nice hot beef vindaloo,
A real Indian restaurant won't serve beef, cows are sacred to them.

walnut said:
yeah, I heard Phall will blow ur socks off. I can't wait to try some. I'm Going for Indian food this weekend. We'll see :lol:

You can only find the Phall curry in the UK. It is a creation unique to there. I spent many years searching for it after I finished living 2 years in the London area. It was so hot that I couldn't eat the lamb it was soaked in so I ordered the Phall curry sauce by itself with an order of chicken tikka and did some dipping. YUMMY!

chilliman64 said:
I never thought of that... maybe they are Christians that serve beef vindaloo and beef rendang!
It is true you will find some that do, but it is definitely not considered traditional. It is because Americans love beef. In your case, Australians :hell:

I've been to India several times, both north and south. Oddly enough, I've never seen vindaloo served over there. Perhaps someone knows of a different name? But I've seen it all over the US and UK -- London Indian restaurants seem to do a much better job of it.

In the US, we'll say "Let's go out for Indian." A Brit will say "Let's go out for curry."

Beef vindaloo just sounds wrong to me.

Vindaloo is originally a Portuguese dish (explaining why it might not show up in many places in India). I believe south Goa is where it was adopted by Indians. I have made it using a variety of pepper types, but I've found that Hot Portugal seems to be the best. I even did it with no hot pepper once and didn't care for the result at all.

It's my favorite dish.

Back