Kiwi Trippa on the Gold Coast of oz

Just thought I would put my first post in the most appropriate place to start an introduction thread. (I feel like I am at school with one of those name badges stuck on to my top :lol: )

So this is my 3-4th year growing chilli's all up although a year or so has passed in between each year of growing, but am a long time chilli fan.
This season coming up for me (2011-2012) will be my first serious foray into some different genetics then your standard seed pack fare.
I am constrained to apartment balcony container/pot growing so this has limited my plant amount somewhat (although that may be a good thing) I have the following seeds genetics in germination (with 2 or so likely additions in the near future depending on my germination rate)

Bonda Ma Jaques
Aji Lemon
Super Chilli
Hot Cherry
Numex Twilight
Scotch Bonnett -RED(Unsure of Seed Quality old seed)
Dorset Naga ((Unsure of Seed Quality/source old seed)
Yellow 7 pot/pod

If the Scotch and Dorset don't come to fruition I will likely replace them with a Chocolate Bhut and another Scotch (red)and a Fatali and Tobago Seasoning.

Anyway thats my intro ... glad to be here :beer:

Just thought I would put my first post in the most appropriate place to start an introduction thread. (I feel like I am at school with one of those name badges stuck on to my top :lol: )

So this is my 3-4th year growing chilli's all up although a year or so has passed in between each year of growing, but am a long time chilli fan.
This season coming up for me (2011-2012) will be my first serious foray into some different genetics then your standard seed pack fare.
I am constrained to apartment balcony container/pot growing so this has limited my plant amount somewhat (although that may be a good thing) I have the following seeds genetics in germination (with 2 or so likely additions in the near future depending on my germination rate)

Bonda Ma Jaques
Aji Lemon
Super Chilli
Hot Cherry
Numex Twilight
Scotch Bonnett -RED(Unsure of Seed Quality old seed)
Dorset Naga ((Unsure of Seed Quality/source old seed)
Yellow 7 pot/pod

If the Scotch and Dorset don't come to fruition I will likely replace them with a Chocolate Bhut and another Scotch (red)and a Fatali and Tobago Seasoning.

Anyway thats my intro ... glad to be here :beer:

Welcome from Brissy, mate!

:welcome:

How old are the Dorset Naga and Scotch Bonnet seeds?

Cheers for the welcomes!!

Well I brought them 2-3 years ago roughly (but I have no idea when they were packed etc.) .
The last time I tried to (albeit in a bit of a haphazard method) germinate some I got one from 6 total (although it seems that maybe I was simply too impatient with them as it was my first foray into the chinense var.)

I also don't know about the seed source that I got the Dorset's from they no-longer sell Dorset's just Bhut Jolokia's and Naga Morich's in that range.
Someone else may have experiences with them chilliandspice.com.au from WA??

I have long since discovered THSC and sourced my latest seeds (the rest of the range) from them, and will continue to do so. Hopefully my set up allows for a good germination although its a bit guerilla ( 2 jiffy-7 mini greenhouses sitting on top of my pay tv decoder which stays on 24/7 and is warm although not as warm as I would ideally like.

Well I brought them 2-3 years ago roughly (but I have no idea when they were packed etc.) .
The last time I tried to (albeit in a bit of a haphazard method) germinate some I got one from 6 total (although it seems that maybe I was simply too impatient with them as it was my first foray into the chinense var.)
If you can't get the Dorset Naga seeds to germinate or if you want some as back-up just in case, give me a yell and I will be more than happy to hook you up with some fresher ones.

Hopefully my set up allows for a good germination although its a bit guerilla ( 2 jiffy-7 mini greenhouses sitting on top of my pay tv decoder which stays on 24/7 and is warm although not as warm as I would ideally like.
Yeah, I use a heat mat and mini greenhouse, which is fantastic in the warmer seasons, but as it's only one of them cheaper heat mats without the thermostat, I'm struggling to hit temps above 23-25C atm. Not good as I decided to start early this season and right now I have about 15 varieties in there that I'm trying to germinate.... :(

If you can't get the Dorset Naga seeds to germinate or if you want some as back-up just in case, give me a yell and I will be more than happy to hook you up with some fresher ones.

Yeah, I use a heat mat and mini greenhouse, which is fantastic in the warmer seasons, but as it's only one of them cheaper heat mats without the thermostat, I'm struggling to hit temps above 23-25C atm. Not good as I decided to start early this season and right now I have about 15 varieties in there that I'm trying to germinate.... :(

Cheers bro much appreciated :cheers: :shocked: :cheers: I might get back to you if I still haven't seen anything by the end of the month.

Yeah I decided to go early as well and this temp drop has come just at the wrong time. (last time I grew my plants overwintered fine outdoors without any real problems at all but it didn't get as cold as this year already has) I might try another lot on top of my router/modem as that is nice and toasty and is on 24/7.

I just have to remember how to be more patient as well :)

I've heard of them germinating from 10 years seeds a while ago.
Might have been Burning Colon, not sure.

Thanks ... Yeah I would say its down to impatience with me more then anything else :oops: having never really dealt with plants/varieties that take this long to germinate.

Cheers bro much appreciated :cheers: :shocked: :cheers: I might get back to you if I still haven't seen anything by the end of the month.
No worries! Drop me a PM if you require them.

To speed things up a little, you may want to try soaking your seeds for 12-24 hours in a camomile tea solution prior to sowing if you don't do so already. As to how effective the method is, I couldn't tell you (I've never not done it so I can't make a comparison) but the idea is that it helps by softening the hard seed casing.

No worries! Drop me a PM if you require them.

To speed things up a little, you may want to try soaking your seeds for 12-24 hours in a camomile tea solution prior to sowing if you don't do so already. As to how effective the method is, I couldn't tell you (I've never not done it so I can't make a comparison) but the idea is that it helps by softening the hard seed casing.

Yeah I sometimes do and sometime don't use the tea soaking method (although I just use weak black tea). I currently am not this time around just using the plant and prey method :crazy:
I have yet to put my Bonda ma Jacques or Aji Lemon in though so I am thinking of soaking half in tea and the other half just placing them straight in the jiffy's and seeing if there is any variation.

Back