• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aspirin for plants?

Interesting concept, and I have heard of it before, but I am a little cautious to try it since I only have one plant of most of my varieties and would hate to lose an entire plant at this point.

sounds to strange! why not just use other fertilizers/etc... for the plant & you eat the aspirin instead for your own health.

chilehunter said:
sounds to strange! why not just use other fertilizers/etc... for the plant & you eat the aspirin instead for your own health.

If the articles are accurate they are claiming that the asprin will possibly stop viruses. Ferts and such can't make that claim, but one has to be sceptical of this since if it were true, and the article is a couple years old, someone would have ground up aspirin and put it in a box labeled "Garden CPR" or something else cheezy and sold tons of it.

What about Birth control pills? Its rumoured to be benificial in some plants too. I'll see if I can go buy some.

POTAWIE said:
What about Birth control pills? Its rumoured to be benificial in some plants too. I'll see if I can go buy some.

Yeah! The plants are healthier, but they don't make any baby peppers! Sorry, I could not help it.
I have recently researched fungal deterrants for peppers, and I came across MYCOSTOP (just goolge it) and it is a beneficial bacteria that eats harmful fungus, but half of the literature is about how it boosts a plants general health. It is worth a look!

Goolge? Sounds painful.

My cayennes seem to have a fungal infection, the leaves and stems are all brown spotted. It's been monsooning over here, so conditions have not been great. I think I'm going to try the aspirin thing.

But I'll goolge the other thing too :)

Potawie...Midol won't work. As my plants are mostly female, they want to be fed a steady diet of chocolate and jewelry. I tried buying them drinks but nowadays they just want the money.

gardenkiller said:
If the articles are accurate they are claiming that the asprin will possibly stop viruses. Ferts and such can't make that claim, but one has to be sceptical of this since if it were true, and the article is a couple years old, someone would have ground up aspirin and put it in a box labeled "Garden CPR" or something else cheezy and sold tons of it.

We're talking very, very small amounts of aspirin, and that it boosts the plants immunity, not cures the virus. Most home gardeners want to see highly visible results when they spend money on a product, so I have a feeling it's just not worth it to most commercial garden product producers.

By saying stop I was meaning ward off, not cure. I actually tried this on a few plants and quite honestly don't know if it did any good or not. Plants are looking great, but so are the untreated plants. I guess the one thing I can say is that it didn't kill them!

I know a buddy of mine uses birth controll pills for his tomato plants...and when it comes to harvest time these tomato plants are just monsterous....my coriosity is the fact they are all full of steroids and chemicals...could that affect you?

Back