Hello From Colorado

Hello Everyone, I've been a long time chili head: I eat whole ghost peppers for "fun", and I am running around colorado completing any heat challenges I can find (a link to my spicy challenge map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=214790076947971629803.00049f520700fc89a7d55&t=h&z=8). Anyways, over the past few years I have been growing run of the mill peppers (read: Jalapeno, Habanero, Serrano) in pots outside of my lovely townhome (our units do not provide community garden plots). This year the itch has been getting stronger and I decided to invest in some hotter strains. Living in Colorado I realized that it would be a waste to snag seeds only to have the [relatively] short growing season kill off the resulting plant. With this in mind I decided to open a space in my somewhat sparsely filled basement for an indoor garden. Without further ado, here is a shot of the outside:

78051ea3.jpg

Here are a few inside shots:

1.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

On the left side I am growing Cajamarca, Datil, Black Prince and Jalapeno (and a Thai Basil, lol)

IMG_1317.jpg

On the right side I am growing Red Caribbean Habanero and Bhut Jolokia. behind them are the second round of germination (Cajamarca & Bhut Jolokia)

I started all from seeds with the exception of the Jalapenos and the Thai Basil. I obtained seeds from The NMSU Chili Pepper Institute (http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/). I have had relatively high germination rates outside of the Cajamarca and Bhut Jolokia. I'm using a simple house fan (not pictured as it's hanging) and 2x Compact Fluorescent 125W lights. The light setup seems sufficient to keep things growing. However I am contemplating adding a third light as I am a bit disappointed that the Black Prince's are not darkening much, and I worry that there may not be enough energy transfer.
Otherwise, what do you all think? I am planing an order to get my hands on scorpions sometime soon.

Nice Tent!
My wife and i want to move to Co. After we finish school though.
I left my light outta a box and have it next to a south facing window to gather more light.
I am using a 4x54w t-5 setup and it seems to work really well.
What are the deminsions of that tent if you dont mind me asking?
Hi there from Florida btw.

What are the deminsions of that tent if you dont mind me asking?
Hi there from Florida btw.

Thanks for all the warm hellos everyone.

My tent dimensions are 8'x4'x6.5'. For the time being it seems sufficient. That being said as these puppies grow up I may need additional room. I guess time will tell.

welcome I just love the grow tents, Hopefullt I'll have at least one for seedlings.. again welcome and looking forward to watching these babies..

greetings from nyc, any videos of you eating the ghost chillis?

Well, a year or so back a buddy of mine thought it would be a good joke to give me dried ghost peppers for my Birthday. Little did he know I have no issue chomping them down. I dont currently have video (no recorder), but I'll see what I can do. I am super interested to grow fresh ones as I cant seem to find them fresh in the area.

Back