• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

peppers H2O needs

:idea:different H2O needs for different peppers,I have noticed that among my pepperes/ thai/thai dragons/paparika's/ super chiles/ super cayenes/caribiaen red habs/ F1 orange Habs/ Red Savina's/ purria and my dorset Naga's that the super cayenes and Naga's need to be watered more often. I have raised mulched beds.My air temps are about 78 to 53 give or take a few degrees. I water every 4 to 6 days >I have about 90 square feet of peppers and I go over several times.It takes me an hour to water too. I water slow to slower allowing the H2O time to percolate deep. I check soil moisture by using hand spade putting in the ground at least 6 (six) inches the wet / dry line is usually about 4 (four) inches deep.I know we all have to adjust our watering schedules as the climate changes with the season ; but, what I have noticed is the cayenes and Naga's still need closer attention/(more freq watering) regardless of changing temperatures. THEY TELL ME BY SHOWING A YELLOW TINGE i.e. less green leaf color.Hope this might help someone and I do apreciate comments good or bad I don't want to steer someone the wrong way.:shocked: Heineken time!!:cheers:

cRAYZy said:
what I have noticed is the cayenes and Naga's still need closer attention/(more freq watering) regardless of changing temperatures. THEY TELL ME BY SHOWING A YELLOW TINGE i.e. less green leaf color.

Ok, I'm curious, how did you come to that conclusion? Are the yellowed leaves all over the plant or just at the top or bottom? Is there any drooping of leaves? When you see the yellowing, do you check the soil around the plants in question?

Welcome to The Hot Pepper,too!

I know from doing a lot of research that there are numerous reasons why there may be yellowing of the foilage but luckily for me everytime I get a plant that starts to get yellow leaves its because of over watering and it is always yellow starting at the bottom next round of watering and the yellowing plants get very little while the others all get the full dose. Although i did notice one whole plant that is a little yellowish and I don't believe that it is excessive water. Any thoughts on the plant that is all yellow? It is not like banana yellow it is just not a deep green like the other plants.

Dale

Just a little less green . I have had yellowing like you mentioned and it was due to lack of nutrients SOLUTION fertilizer organic of course ( sea kelp/fish emulsion) greened right up but also like I said from lack of H2O. not bottom leaves just a tinge of less green all around . I water and they turn deep green in less than a day usually that evening because I water in the morning first thing!!

yea I've also noticed certain chile strains like to be watered more or less than others, or at least handle the water intake differently than other strains.
as for which strains, I really dont know because I never wrote it down or remembered it, I just go with the flow of what the plant is showing for signs.

instead of using a little spade to check for moisture why not get one of those moisture testers, you just stick a metal rod into the soil about half the size of a pencil

i too have noticed that some peppers requre more or less water. but i only grow in pots. but i have noticed that a plant in a small pot can still be moist when a plant in a larger pot might be all willted and two feet away the same small pot with the same kind of pepper is all wilted as well. so i think it is even broke down into every plant can want a different amount of water regardless of species.

Oh sure, a plant's watering needs can vary and is dependent on a lot of factors, not just variety. Root development, the holding capacity of the soil, heat, humidity, etc. could all effect how much water a pepper plant needs.

I was just interested in cRAZy's observation of yellowing leaves. It's not something I've noticed before, but you can bet I'll be watching now.

Back