• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hand Hilling and Black Plastic Mulch

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Fricking awesome! I ended up using the plastic mulch and I love it. Plants are rockin and weeds are almost non existent. Great advice.

looks great! Good job, nice and neat.
I was thinking of putting weed mat down for winter or the black plastic to try and keep out weeds and sterilise the soil a bit (prob wont happen till it warms up though) and to warm up the soil before planting seedlings.
What peppers are you planting?

Looks great man! Very neat job!

I'm using plastic mulch for the first time this year and love it. Plants are growing faster in the ground with plastic than they are in my raised bed. I found hand watering to be a pain because it took so long to get enough water in the little hole in the plastic. It would overflow immediately and the water would just run down the plastic, so I added 5 inch diameter by 3 inch tall rings around each plant. I made the rings with strips of thin aluminum and one short screw each, and pushed them down about an inch into the plastic. Now I can fill those rings with water just like a pot. I don't waste a single drop of water and it takes about 1/4 of the time to hand water now. :woohoo:

I love it!!

It's too late for me to go with it this season. I bet it would work great with drip tape irrigation. I've ordered the hardware and materials to install this system in my current garden which is one of my greatest needs at the moment. Silver_Surfer also has a really nice setup which he incorporates the plastic mulch as well. They're many elements from Silver_Surfer's, AJ's and now the Spicy Chicken's designs which I will use in next season's layout.

Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Fricking awesome! I ended up using the plastic mulch and I love it. Plants are rockin and weeds are almost non existent. Great advice.

Thanks

looks great! Good job, nice and neat.
I was thinking of putting weed mat down for winter or the black plastic to try and keep out weeds and sterilise the soil a bit (prob wont happen till it warms up though) and to warm up the soil before planting seedlings.
What peppers are you planting?

Salad Hot pepper

Caribbean Red Habanero

Super Cayenne

Orange Habanero

Carrot Hot

Japones

Hawaiian

Serrano

Hot Jamaican

Cherry Bombs Hot

Scotch Bonnet

Habanero Blend?

Garden Salsa

Chili de Pulla Mole

Amarillo de Guajaca

Ancho San Marin

Red Congo

Thai Hot

Fatalii

Super Chili

Mariaci

Chilipeno

3 chili Blend

Kung Pao

Paper Lantern Habanero

Holy Mole

Long Red Cayenne

Hungarian Hot Wax

Thai Dragon

Chocolate Habanero

Bhut Jolokia

Butch T

Tasmanian Habanero

Spicy Mustard Habanero

Pumpkin Habanero

Giant Bhut Jolokia

Golden Habanero

Red Korean

Czech Black

A pic of the garden early spring before the plants went In.

2011_main_Garden_June1st_1200pxw.jpg

I'm using plastic mulch for the first time this year and love it. Plants are growing faster in the ground with plastic than they are in my raised bed. I found hand watering to be a pain because it took so long to get enough water in the little hole in the plastic. It would overflow immediately and the water would just run down the plastic, so I added 5 inch diameter by 3 inch tall rings around each plant. I made the rings with strips of thin aluminum and one short screw each, and pushed them down about an inch into the plastic. Now I can fill those rings with water just like a pot. I don't waste a single drop of water and it takes about 1/4 of the time to hand water now. :woohoo:

Hay musky, Great Idea for the watering, I use the same pipe for removing the dirt as for melting the holes, I just push it down about 8 inches and a couple of taps with a hammer and the dirt falls out and move on to the next. then drop the plant all the way to the bottom and ring my finger around to push the dirt on top leaving a dish of sorts about 8 inched around and 2 inches deep for the water, will hold about a quart or so, amazing how much faster and bigger a plant will grow under that plastic as apposed to open ground.

I love it!!

It's too late for me to go with it this season. I bet it would work great with drip tape irrigation. I've ordered the hardware and materials to install this system in my current garden which is one of my greatest needs at the moment. Silver_Surfer also has a really nice setup which he incorporates the plastic mulch as well. They're many elements from Silver_Surfer's, AJ's and now the Spicy Chicken's designs which I will use in next season's layout.

Thanks for sharing this with us!!

SS also personaly mentored me in getting my drip tape ordered for next year, can't wait to hook it all up!

I have drippers and were thinking they would work great under the black plastic, as long as I don't cut through them when digging holes for the plants!

Big list of plants, how many of each are you growing? What are you doing with them in the end? sauces? sell fresh?

I have drippers and were thinking they would work great under the black plastic, as long as I don't cut through them when digging holes for the plants!

Big list of plants, how many of each are you growing? What are you doing with them in the end? sauces? sell fresh?

Don't have an exact count yet but all together just under 2000 plants, Had some mother nature issues early on but hoping to harvest around a quarter million pods.

I do sell some fresh other wise they get dried and sell them as whole or powder, this year I have a contract with festival foods grocery stores so really looking forward to that endeavor.

this year I have a contract with festival foods grocery stores so really looking forward to that endeavor.

Awesome! Good luck with that my friend! Also, be sure to check out the Throwdowns tomorrow night. Your peppers are a big part of my entry. :dance: Thanks again for having the contest! I'm about halfway through them now.

Awesome! Good luck with that my friend! Also, be sure to check out the Throwdowns tomorrow night. Your peppers are a big part of my entry. :dance: Thanks again for having the contest! I'm about halfway through them now.

You ate a half pound of each habs and Super Chili's, man you must have an iron stomach, Take me two years for that much!
I just left you a comment on your profile about the throwdown, once again top notch buddy and good luck!!!:cool:

Congratulations that's great. I just had a look at your site too, good luck with everything.

You did more than look, I thank you and my daughter thanks you for the donation. very kind of you, your a good man wildfire.
I was able to briefly check out your site as well, very very busy right now but your icon is on my desktop and will look into more when I get a chance!

Thanks again. SC

Man, that looks like a lot of work, but damned if it doesn't look great.

Thanks buddy,

On another note I did get your addy and will have some goodies in the mail for you this week.:)

You did more than look, I thank you and my daughter thanks you for the donation. very kind of you, your a good man wildfire.
I was able to briefly check out your site as well, very very busy right now but your icon is on my desktop and will look into more when I get a chance!

Thanks again. SC

Your most welcome. I know it's not a huge amount but if everyone were to put in what they could then it all adds up! I hope she is doing well and managing ok, such a horrible thing to happen.
I'm actually a good Wo-man :lol:
Once again good luck with your season

Spicy...question for you...are you laying the mulch by hand?

Last year I had a nice tractor to help but had to sell do to a tragedy so now I have to do most all by hand, not to bad tho its only 1/2 mile. but after all the work mother nature killed 2 full plantings of about 2000 peppers each so now third string is planted and not doing very well, but its for a good cause so I will not give up yet.

Thanks SC

Last year I had a nice tractor to help but had to sell do to a tragedy so now I have to do most all by hand, not to bad tho its only 1/2 mile. but after all the work mother nature killed 2 full plantings of about 2000 peppers each so now third string is planted and not doing very well, but its for a good cause so I will not give up yet.

Thanks SC

You da man

Back