• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Some Chocolate Congos - Updated

Cleaning out the freezer and came across a couple of bags of chocolate congos. Decided that today was a good day to go between the pool and the smoker, so fired them up with a nice combination of mesquite/cherry/apple. Now all I have to do is decide what to do with them - thinking of dehyrdrating some and making sauce with the others. Here's some pictures before I figure out what the end product(s) will be.

Before the smoke:
P1030427.jpg

Beginning the smoke:
P1030433.jpg

Mid-point of the smoke:
P1030435.jpg

Smoke complete:
P1030437.jpg

3 full quarts of prime smoked chocolate congos:
P1030439.jpg

That's awesome buddy. I love that smoked congo powder you sent me. I bet that would be great for a hot sauce, or maybe even better, a bbq sauce!

I may have to use that picture of your tray of smoked congos as my wall paper for a while! LOL Is it possible to make a smokey hot olive oil. Dipping some bread in it or drizzling it over a bowl of creamy mushroom soup mmmmm

Turn some of it to powder. I did that last year with Black Congos and cannot believe how good it came out. Put it on everything and you also get to enjoy the wonderful smell every time. Oh yeah.

They look great Buddy,
How long, and at what temp,did you smoke them?
I got a new smoker a few months ago, and am interested in smoking several varieties this season.

They look great Buddy,
How long, and at what temp,did you smoke them?
I got a new smoker a few months ago, and am interested in smoking several varieties this season.

thanks. i smoked them for about 8 hours at 150 - 160 degrees. they turned out really nice.

here they are ground into flakes. still have some leftover to make some bbq sauce.

P1030489.jpg

nice heat, nice smokey flavor.

Wow great pics. I like the smoke my pineapple ahi peppers and use them for a sauce. I noticed you had yours pilled up in a pan? I like half mine then put them directly on a tray so the smoke really gets into the peppers. If you look closely you can actually see a nice little smoke ring on them.

you're a genuis.
and thank you again for the cool seeds you shipped out last fall.
the Criollo Sella and the Peruvian Pointer are just hitting their stride,
And I'm expecting a bumper crop of both.
Thanks for sharing.

OK I have a smoker box and apple would....with a gas grill. I am going to try my hand at smoking once I get some ripe pods. Thinking apple smoked red fatalli's. Any advice on trying to accomplish this in a gas grill, Buddy???

OK I have a smoker box and apple would....with a gas grill. I am going to try my hand at smoking once I get some ripe pods. Thinking apple smoked red fatalli's. Any advice on trying to accomplish this in a gas grill, Buddy???

I'm not buddy, but here's my 2 cents. Only heat one side of the grill. Take the grate off the hot side. Crank the grill on high on that side. Wrap the soaked chips in foil and put them directly on the lava rocks/heat deflector on the heat side to get the smoke roll'n. Then turn the heat down to low and add the pods on the other side. Hope this helps.

Back