• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Selecting hydro nutrients?

I was looking at technafloras recipe for success kit, it seems like a good set up, comes with clear instructions and seems like a good deal, I was just wondering what everyone else was using and if there was anything I should avoid.

i use, plant prod granular tomato fertilizer 15-15-30. tbs epsom salt, 1 crushed rolaid. some fish aquarium water. and today i am going to add a cup of seaweed water(2 days ago, i soaked some dried seaweed in a pail of water with the intention of making a seaweed tea).

technafloras is just stupidly priced and that is at a big box store and not a specialized hydroponic store.

good luck.

pretty much any hydro nutes will work fine, just make sure you are using a two part formula and dilute the formulas separately before mixing them or the calcium will precipitate out. Calcium cant exist in a one part formula for that reason..unless it is organic I think.
Besides that the other major consideration is NPK ration and whether to use ammoniacal + nitrate nitrogen or just nitrate nitrogen. Ammoniacal will give faster growth in high light but may make the peppers stretch too much.
The genesis formula offers a 4 part system so you can customize NPK ratios and ammoniacal content. Just make sure you get enough calcium. A cheap source is calcium nitrate but there are also cal mag supplements out there. Your calcium deficiency will likely start to show up when it starts to set fruit as all of the calcium for the fruit is pulled into it at the beginning of its growth. This may rob the plant of its needs and result in crinkly or curled leaves. A shot of cal mag clears it up in about a week but the leaves that were deformed will remain that way.

hope this helps

Wrong. There are plenty of 1-part forumlas that work wonderfully. MaxiBloom from Gen Hydro is what I use and I have never had calcium problems.

maxigrow and bloom are dry fertilizers, and great ones at that.

but put calcium and sulphate or phoshphate together into concentrated solutions like you would find in fertilizer bottles and you will precipitate calcium sulphate/phosphate .
most 1 part bottles drop calcium, and get nitrogen from magnesium nitrate.

maxigrow and bloom are dry fertilizers, and great ones at that.

but put calcium and sulphate or phoshphate together into concentrated solutions like you would find in fertilizer bottles and you will precipitate calcium sulphate/phosphate .
most 1 part bottles drop calcium, and get nitrogen from magnesium nitrate.

Thanks, I had forgotten that there are one part formulas. I used to use one and it had different size/shape granules in it I presume keeping the calcium component seperate. It worked great but was pretty hydroscopic and turned gummy. At that point I gave up on it - does the maxibloom have this problem? Im always looking for an easier/cheaper solution.

Thanks, I had forgotten that there are one part formulas. I used to use one and it had different size/shape granules in it I presume keeping the calcium component seperate. It worked great but was pretty hydroscopic and turned gummy. At that point I gave up on it - does the maxibloom have this problem? Im always looking for an easier/cheaper solution.

i have used maxi grow and floramato both are 1 part dry fertilizers, and i never had problems with precipitation. they are so dead simple... a few grams per gallon and you are set, but yea they do pull water vapor out of the air so you have to keep them indoors. i left my tub of floramato outside once for a week or so and it got gummy. you might be able to tape a a few silica absorbers to the sides of the bags/tubs to stop this from happening. there is stuff cheeper than maxigrow btw, like the stuff at hydrogardens but they require you to buy additional calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate and add it separately. im not sure why they do that honestly, and GH is able to have them all together.

Has any one tried the American Agriculture website? ( AmericanAg.com )
The prices seem comparable and there is free shipping, so it appears to be a good way to go. I'm just curious because I've only seen it mentioned in one other post...

Has any one tried the American Agriculture website? ( AmericanAg.com )
The prices seem comparable and there is free shipping, so it appears to be a good way to go. I'm just curious because I've only seen it mentioned in one other post...
i've bought from them before, years ago. not all their items ship for free. no complaints though, but i've bought more from bghydro.

i really like cns-17 for a ONE-part nutrient that gives you plenty of calcium
http://www.americanagritech.com/fertilizers/cns17

i tried GH flora nova several times but it'd always get a thick sludge at the bottom, along with crystals/grit. their product really did precipitate out of solution and that's not a good thing
for my recent grow in coco/perlite, i'm using the basic gh flora 3part and its lookin decent

i really like cns-17 for a ONE-part nutrient that gives you plenty of calcium
http://www.americanagritech.com/fertilizers/cns17

i tried GH flora nova several times but it'd always get a thick sludge at the bottom, along with crystals/grit. their product really did precipitate out of solution and that's not a good thing
for my recent grow in coco/perlite, i'm using the basic gh flora 3part and its lookin decent

CNS17 is great. It's probably the best liquid nute for coco that I have tried, and it's cheap.

GH FN is a great nutrient, you just have to keep it agitating. The stuff that fell out is probably the humic acid, the metal salts are still dissolved in the water.

I use Compo Hakaphos Soft Spezial for my Hydro Systems. Its a solid powder as it is the nutrients not diluted in water but as dry salts.
I use it because it works very good( well it was designed for professional setups AFAIK), easy to use (just one formula needed, though I tweak it alittle for flowering anf producing fruit) and Cheap ( about $5 per Kilogramm, and that last pretty long...).
Unfortunately i doubt that it is available in the US though I believe that similar fertilizers exist there
Best Regards,
Jan

i use, plant prod granular tomato fertilizer 15-15-30. tbs epsom salt, 1 crushed rolaid. some fish aquarium water. and today i am going to add a cup of seaweed water(2 days ago, i soaked some dried seaweed in a pail of water with the intention of making a seaweed tea).

technafloras is just stupidly priced and that is at a big box store and not a specialized hydroponic store.

good luck.
how did that work for u just wondering i been using GH hydroponic 3 part and i am about out

here's a few pics and sorry for the quality, the camera is only 3.2mp with a 15 zoom but the zoom is not meant for close up photos, so the plants look smaller than they are and the lighting flushes out the green, making some look more yellow than they are.

first pic is a red rocoto seed from redtail, behind it is a fatalii seed from greta organics. the rocoto has a couple of spots and brown patches - my last water change i used a very mild miraclegro granular mix(24-8-16) that a neighbour lent me, as i was curious how it would perform.

second pic is a bonda ma jacques seed from redtail.

third pic are various plants: indian carbon, yellow bhut, superchili(this one i transfered from soil because it was so small-look at it now and loaded with flowers), choc hab, scotch bonnet(the bonda is in this container and is overshadowing some of the other plants). the superchili & scotch seed are from my inventory, the rest from pepperlover.

fourth pic, again various plants in another homemade container: bombay morich, barrackpore 7, 2 * datil, butchT, douglah and the little one is a newly hatched pequin(i can't believe how tiny the pequin plants are, even in soil they are tiny). it's hard to tell but the douglah is quite large. datil seed is from redtail, pequin is from my inventory and the others from pepperlover including her giving freely the douglah that wasn't even listed on her website at the time - she is an absolute angle!

how does that work for ya bricke? I do mist with epsom salts and a watered down seaweed water on occasion.

HPIM1975.jpg

HPIM1976.jpg

HPIM1977.jpg

HPIM1978.jpg

here's a few pics and sorry for the quality, the camera is only 3.2mp with a 15 zoom but the zoom is not meant for close up photos, so the plants look smaller than they are and the lighting flushes out the green, making some look more yellow than they are.

first pic is a red rocoto seed from redtail, behind it is a fatalii seed from greta organics. the rocoto has a couple of spots and brown patches - my last water change i used a very mild miraclegro granular mix(24-8-16) that a neighbour lent me, as i was curious how it would perform.

second pic is a bonda ma jacques seed from redtail.

third pic are various plants: indian carbon, yellow bhut, superchili(this one i transfered from soil because it was so small-look at it now and loaded with flowers), choc hab, scotch bonnet(the bonda is in this container and is overshadowing some of the other plants). the superchili & scotch seed are from my inventory, the rest from pepperlover.

fourth pic, again various plants in another homemade container: bombay morich, barrackpore 7, 2 * datil, butchT, douglah and the little one is a newly hatched pequin(i can't believe how tiny the pequin plants are, even in soil they are tiny). it's hard to tell but the douglah is quite large. datil seed is from redtail, pequin is from my inventory and the others from pepperlover including her giving freely the douglah that wasn't even listed on her website at the time - she is an absolute angle!

how does that work for ya bricke? I do mist with epsom salts and a watered down seaweed water on occasion.

HPIM1975.jpg

HPIM1976.jpg

HPIM1977.jpg

HPIM1978.jpg
i like it thanx for the pitures will be going that way

I really like the General Hydroponics Flora Series. Our hydroponic greenhouse uses a custom blend from these guys, we use well water and they custom mix based on what our well sample contains.

Back